Need help on AP YI ! ! !

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

moosejoose

04-26-2012

after alpha strike, you stop playing AP Yi. It doesn't work.

Fluffy1

04-26-2012

AP yi is amazing, though really only worth playing in premades where he shines. AD yi is only slightly more usefull under the condition its solo que and blind pick. outside of that hes useless

Martyrofsand

04-27-2012

How to play AP Yi correctly....by SacredMesa

Ignore any and all items with AP on them. Build the following...

Berserker's Greaves
Infinity Edge
Phantom Dancer
Phantom Dancer
Bloodthirster
Last Whisper/Guardian Angel

Grats you are no longer useless dead weight for your team to carry. You can actually do useful non-random damage while avoid slows and chasing people that will never be able to out run you.

iP1ayJarvan

04-27-2012

1. start doran's ring.
2. skill order: EQQWQR then R>Q>W>E
3. harass the living daylights out of your enemy, while farming at the same time.
4. recover from trades with W. if u go flat ap glyphs and quints, lvl1 W heals for 331 hp with a doran's ring (and offensive ap masteries)
5. only Q minions when there are 3 left, so that one hits your enemy

Fluffy1

04-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredMesa View Post

Berserker's Greaves
Infinity Edge
Phantom Dancer
Phantom Dancer
Bloodthirster

Grats you are no longer useless dead weight for your team to carry. You can actually do useful non-random damage while avoid slows and chasing people that will never be able to out run you.
AD yi: runs into teamfight, alpha and 2 auto attacks before being bursted down, likely no kills.

AP yi: runs into teamfight, alpha strike, possibly kill and alpha's again to dodge AOE. if he fails he still does decent damage.

AD yi is a split pusher, all he can do well is hit towers. except AP yi pushes lanes without stoping his walk animation and once he has lichbane keeps up in killing towers, you wont carry with AD yi vs competent teams. but if your insistant on playing yi at that level you play AP so you can at least do something useful.

Nishaven90

04-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacredMesa View Post

Berserker's Greaves
Infinity Edge
Phantom Dancer
Phantom Dancer
Bloodthirster

Glass cannon build on Master Yi... doesn't even work.

My builds for Master Yi:

AD Yi(Jungle)

Berserkers
Wriggles Lantern
Infinity Edge
Phantom Dancer
Warmogs Armour
Atmas Implaer

AP Yi:

Sorcerers Shoes
Deathcap
Mejais/Deathfire Grasp
Zhonyas/Rylais
Void Staff
Lich Bane

AP Yi relies on his ultimate to reset the cooldown, so you don't need CD reduction items.

HotButtered

05-02-2012

If you're playing AP yi right you should be able to initiate in places or at times where minions aren't an issue. Force baron/dragon/gollem fights. If you have good team work, you can initiate the fight yourself and just heal if you don't get a kill. A few of the enemy team will usually blow spells or try to attack you but as long as they don't have hard CC, they can't interrupt your meditate so you'll heal faster than they can damage you. Learning to save your heal and alpha strike for when they have blown their stuns and knock-ups will make you way more consistent in damage output. Also, in mid to late game with a deathfire grasp, lich bane, and sorc boots, you can easily instagib squishy champions so a kill is almost guaranteed.

2PM Ezsence

05-02-2012

AP yi is very good early game for harassing and early firstblood on midlane but late game he doesn't do much but still can help on team fights as he can tank using meditate

WoIfCIaw

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-03-2012

AP Yi is one of my mains, perhaps I play him because everyone says he is **** and I like to be smug when i faceroll them.
Note that AP yi is NOT amazing for carrying solo queue games with high certainty, however if you get good you WILL have fun and do well almost every single game.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCg_q1YK5wk&t=1m
AP Yi should spend early game harassing and farming, wait for creep waves to split apart (melee caster) so you can either alpha front row or back row depending on where enemy is standing.
Yes, you will push a lot, buy wards every time you recall.
Another harass strategy is to wait for their minions to come out of the fog then alpha the front one before the rest come out, your animation will go as the minions come usually 3 will make it out, and only do this while enemy is near front of wave, your 4th target WILL be the enemy.
---
Things an AP Yi needs to worry about in order to consistently play well:
Always have a plan of escape, Yi has high MS especially with a Lich bane so you can outrun most people, you can also dive into a group and assassinate one and flee with your remaining time on Highlander, saving it incase you need another MS boost.
Pay particular attention to your enemies positioning, be wary of all their CC heroes and take note of when they use their spells so you know how long your window of opportunity is, DO NOT meditate if an enemy has CC ready to fire unless you have no choice and it isn't 1v1.
In teamfights, you will usually focus their squishiest hero first since they should die quickly, make sure you are ready to commit and ulti as you run in, may need to flash in order to break past the tanks etc. smart cast Alpha strike so you cant be target CCd as you come in. After you kill the low hp person you should have already decided who will be the next target. Rinse repeat, always be aware of how much damage you are doing, always have an escape.

Some maths!
Lets look at some maths for AP yi for all those that think he cannot do any damage.

lets say the enemy has 5 champions, a b c d and e.
Much like AD yi, you will be hiding out of the fight initially so you cant be instant focused. If your team cannot do any damage 4v5 then you probably cant win anyway they suck (maybe try an early alpha to motivate them when they see enemy lose bunch of HP, save lich bane proc with your E to trigger CD reset for KS)
Say enemy e is low hp, you alpha and you hit e, a,b and c. Late game you will do about 1000 per target, e is dead and abc have taken 1000 damage.
assuming either ab or c is low after taking 1000 damage, alpha them, or wait for your now 5v4 team to hurt enemy a little bit or use a lich proc before your alpha. now you do 1000 damage to a, and kill a, also dealing 1000 damage to b,c and d.
b and c have taken 2000 damage now, they should be pretty low. Alpha b for another 1000 also hitting c and d. 3000 damage on b without lich procs means he should be about dead i would think. if there are still some alive you should be able to finish them easily.
e - 1000, a - 2000, b-3000, c - 3000-5000, d - 3000-5000
for a total of 6000+2(4000[average 3000-5000]) = 14,000 magic damage in a very short time. REMEMBER you won't necessarily be able to go alphalphaalphaalpha, I find myself baiting, leading off and tanking enemies quite often between alpha strikes.

Tanner Calder

05-04-2012

My AP yi is a little more hybrid just so when you alpha and auto attack a couple times it actually hurts. I tend to go Dorans>lvl 1 boots>Sheen>CDR boots>Gunblade>guinsoo>DC>lichbane>voidstaff or a defensive item like warmogs or banshee. This makes it pretty nasty with alpha then hitting for 250 (before armor reduc). Alpha hit couple times. then med. then alpha then gunblade and repeat. I do pretty well with him.

Like people have said though he really needs to be on a team that can utilize him. Play him in premade and you can wreck when you get good at it. I even solo top as him occasionally. With ken mid and i get fed blue buff. Hope that helps