Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Need help on AP YI ! ! !

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dotch

04-26-2012

ty all for reading this.
so recently i started playing ap yi (i used to play ad)... but i really suck at it...and theres one point i really dont get.
What do u do after alpha striking(if not one hit kill)???

should u follow ur team or can u 1v1 an enemy?

will it be better if build CD reduction? cuz it will shorten alpha strike CD.

pls help.
if necessary, pls note how to play him(ap yi).

-Andy

FaerellG

04-26-2012

After alpha strike: retreat.

Learn where you end up after the AlphaStrike:
You will end up standing next to the initial champ/minion you targeted. Where you bounce to has no effect on where you end up.

If your initial target dies before your AlphaStrike animation reaches it, then you'll return to where you were standing when you initiated AlphaStrike.

But yeah, in general, After you alpha strike, auto attack once...maybe twice, and run unless you really think you can finish them off. Try to que up your Passive so you get extra damage in. lichbane proc will also make you hit harder.

If you're pretty certain you'll kill them, pop your ulti and AlphaStrike in, then immediately AlphaStrike again.

Dotch

04-26-2012

Quote:
FaerellG:
After alpha strike: retreat.

Learn where you end up after the AlphaStrike:
You will end up standing next to the initial champ/minion you targeted. Where you bounce to has no effect on where you end up.

If your initial target dies before your AlphaStrike animation reaches it, then you'll return to where you were standing when you initiated AlphaStrike.

But yeah, in general, After you alpha strike, auto attack once...maybe twice, and run unless you really think you can finish them off. Try to que up your Passive so you get extra damage in. lichbane proc will also make you hit harder.

If you're pretty certain you'll kill them, pop your ulti and AlphaStrike in, then immediately AlphaStrike again.

should i add some CD reduction?

FaerellG

04-26-2012

I would say yes. CDR helps you recover when you fail to kill with your Ult+AlphaStrike

kaleb bartlett

04-26-2012

Quote:
AndyOOO:
should i add some CD reduction?

I usually try to get it with lucidity boots and DFG for another button to press.

Dotch

04-26-2012

Ok thx. but one more question.. ad better or ap?
ad: better 1v1? carry?
ap: pentakill? teamfights?

Ebonclaw

04-26-2012

AP Yi is a gimmick. IF you can get into a teamfight with no enemy minions around, AND your team can burst someone down practically without your assistance, then you MIGHT be able to get an Alpha reset off of the first kill, and then continue your chain. Best case scenario the enemy team will be dead so fast they will cry hacks. If it doesn't work, you are practically -worthless- to your team, and they will heckle you as you run away from the enemy team to try to defend towers solo since all your mates just died in a glorified 4v5.

I general practice, he is trying to do the same thing as Kat does, but he's just not as good at it because he only has -1- fking nuke. 1 nuke. Stop it.

Dotch

04-26-2012

Quote:
Ebonclaw:
AP Yi is a gimmick. IF you can get into a teamfight with no enemy minions around, AND your team can burst someone down practically without your assistance, then you MIGHT be able to get an Alpha reset off of the first kill, and then continue your chain. Best case scenario the enemy team will be dead so fast they will cry hacks. If it doesn't work, you are practically -worthless- to your team, and they will heckle you as you run away from the enemy team to try to defend towers solo since all your mates just died in a glorified 4v5.

I general practice, he is trying to do the same thing as Kat does, but he's just not as good at it because he only has -1- fking nuke. 1 nuke. Stop it.

ok...

Afraa

04-26-2012

Quote:
Ebonclaw:

have to dissagree. If something can work and with good result consistantly in the correct situations that does not make it a gimmick. minions are not that big of an issue as many teamfights happen at blue dragon or baron. The key to ap yi is positioning and team comp.

HonorableGeneral

04-26-2012

Quote:
Afraa:
have to dissagree. If something can work and with good result consistantly in the correct situations that does not make it a gimmick. minions are not that big of an issue as many teamfights happen at blue dragon or baron. The key to ap yi is positioning and team comp.

That's sort of the issue, though. If the enemy team sees you going AP Yi, they'll force team fights near minions to reduce your output potential. You'll end up seeing more aggressive lanes forcing you to alpha strike them while they push, in order to prevent you from wandering off into the river or jungle and forcing fights where there's no minions to take the fall.

AP Yi's random-factor makes him one of the most hit-or-miss champions in the game. If you're strong enough to force fights where there are no minions, you'll most likely win. But if you end up being forced to fight against a team backed up by minion waves, you'll do decent damage at best and almost no damage to champions at worst.