LoLU Lesson 4: The Things Novices Do

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MikeLemmer

04-25-2012

Previous LoLU Lessons:
Lesson 1: Attitude
Lesson 2: Minions and the 1v0 Custom
Lesson 3: Champion Roles & Lanes

Pardon the delays getting this next lesson out, I was busy. You see, after the previous lesson, I thought to myself, "You know, it's been months since I was a young newb, running around the map with barely any inkling what to do. How can I properly give advice to novices when I don't remember how games played at their level?"

So I began a smurf account.

*cue horrified gasps & random women fainting*

WARNING: Smurfing is a hideous practice that is solely in the realm of evildoers & ne'er-do-wells. Even though this was done solely for the purposes of Science and the enlightenment of all, MikeLemmer admits he is a horrible, horrible person. Shame, MikeLemmer! Shaaaaame!

My initial results are as follows:
*incoherent screaming and sobbing*

I do not envy you. Many were the time I entered the field with a new, random champion, without even a look at a SoloMid guide, attempting to replicate the experience of a newbie to an accurate degree. Even with my knowledge of the game, 'lo! I was cut down many times by fed Yis and Mundos with insane AD & life drain, probably also played by smurfs judging from the 100-200 minion kills. I watched as they marched across the battlefield, cutting down champions apparently played by toddlers like a scythe through wheat. Oh, the horror!

So, what's your record?
You don't wanna know.
No really, what's your record?
...3 wins, 5 losses.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA-
*sigh*

Anyway, amidst the tears and burning, I have compiled a list of behaviors novices perform that are usually not seen in high-level play, either due to experience or the gameplay changes as you advance. Without further ado:

The Things Novices Do
(And no, I'm not including things like "last hit less". I didn't put "Blindingly Obvious" up there.)

1. Smurfs, Derps, and AFKs

There's a wide range of skill levels at low levels, about as wide as Everest is tall. Smurfs (Level 30 players who make a low-level account, either to play with novice friends or stomp people until they cry) make up about 1/3rd of the low-level players, I'd estimate. Most of them are on the enemy team. I hope to cover how to counter them in a later post.

AFKers quit playing halfway through the game, either due to the game taking longer than they expected or ragequitting because they're doing poorly. Don't want to be an AFKer? Here's my rule of thumb: don't play Summoner's Rift unless you have an hour free.

Derps are my name for players who seem to be hideously bad. They stand still for seconds at the front lines, never chat or listen to warnings or requests, and charge aggressively in and feed (give copious amounts of experience & gold to) the enemy champions. Frustrating beyond measure, they must be worked around, rather than with. Worse than the AFKers, in most cases. Fortunately, they will slowly disappear from the PVP pool, either by not reaching the higher levels or sticking solely to Coop games. (Note to self: cut complaining about bad Lvl.30 players now that I remember what atrociously bad playing really is.)

Speaking of aggression...

2. Pushing the Lane Until Attacked

Novices will push their lane all the way to the tower and continue attacking the tower until an enemy champion attacks them. They have the right idea (towers baaaaad), but the wrong execution. They have not honed their Spider Sense (vague nervousness about approaching doom, usually right) yet. Veteran players are, comparatively, a cowardly lot ready to retreat from a push the moment they can't see most of the enemy team on the map. And 9 times out of 10, a few seconds after they retreat 3 enemy champions come tromping in, eager to take out their frustration about the failed gank on the hapless minions.

Bravery may be a virtue, but cowards don't pay the enemy team. The sad part is, the brave (stupid) ones could safely push like that if they just bought a few wards, but...

3. No One Buys Wards

Absolutely no one. Zilch, nada, nil. Eight games and the only wards I've seen are my own. And players are surprised when they're ganked by 3 people. I could spend an entire lesson talking about wards (and I probably will), but for now, an analogy should suffice: wards are your alarm system for trespassers. Stake out as much territory with them as you can so you can run before someone unloads a shotgun at your doorstop.

They're also useful for looking into bushes, which brings up...

4. Hiding in Bushes at the Start

I forgot how often we hid in the river bushes before the minions even arrived. That behavior disappeared once I hit Lvl. 30. Why?
1. Laners are expected to leash for the jungler. (Will explain that later.) You can't hide in the bushes if you're off shooting golem.
2. Veterans are better about not facechecking (walking blindly into) bushes. Most of them learned this through too many hard knocks. A friend of mine put it this way: "Always assume every missing enemy champion is in the next bush." Best piece of advice he ever got. The initial bush hiding only works if someone's stupid enough to stomp near it.

Now, hiding in the bushes after the fight begins... veterans do that more often. And it's annoying. More annoying than getting ganked for facechecking a bush initially, even.

5. Weird Lanes

Two games ago, we had a solo top, a solo mid, and 3 bottom because our tank kept following the support around. The next game, I played midlane against a Nunu. These lanes are weird, shifty beasts that mutate as players get frustrated and begin drifting into other lanes. Or everyone clambers into midlane and kinda gets stuck there as everything else falls. I'm not even sure yet what type of laning advice to give against this mutant insanity.

6. Long Games

Although players will aggressively push solo, it seems few of them have mastered aggressively shoving a lane as a team and taking down an inhibitor. This leads to long, drawn-out games where the best AD carry triumphs rather than the team as a whole. (This works to the smurfs' advantage: they have plenty of time to build an unstoppable AD/life drain juggernaut that can kill your whole team.)

7. Slow Connections

I swear, one of those players in my first game was playing on a cell phone from Antarctica.

-----

Well, after that learning experience, I think I should put off the item build advice until later; there's other things to work on first. Come back for the next lesson, coming out as soon as I figure out what to start with here.

*walks away, muttering softly* "He didn't move. He was being cut down and he just stood there..."

HonorableGeneral

04-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeLemmer View Post
*walks away, muttering softly* "He didn't move. He was being cut down and he just stood there..."
I find myself doing that sometimes. I'll get so caught up in the action in some other lane that I'll forget I'm not in a safe spot and die to either champions, tower hits, or (worst of all) minion aggro.

Rampag3n

04-26-2012

This is a good read, I will check out the first three..

Thanks.

Kirielis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-26-2012

3 to 5, really? Mike you need to get to work.

1. can't do anything about smurfs, derps and AFKs.
2. don't worry, they'll learn eventually. It goes faster when someone yells at them for perpetually overextending, but they'll get it down by the time they make level 30.
3. can't buy wards when you have no cs. Remember, these are the newbie games where 25cs at 30 minutes is a regular occurrence.
4. yup.
5. My advice? Play your champion well, farm all the sidelanes when people group in mid, but be there when a fight actually breaks out because you'll probably roflstomp them.
6. long games are due to a combination of 2 factors. 1, nobody creeps. It takes way longer, therefore, to get to a decent build where you can actually do something. 2, no teamwork. Where two or three level 2s can kill another level 2 working together, one simply does not 100-0 another level 2 alone. For that matter, one does not 100-0 another level 10 alone, unless one is a farmed LeBlanc.
7. are you sure it's not the recent lag spikes?

And finally, I hope you picked up the nicest 2-3 people each game and directed them to the U.

JUZTIKAR

Recruiter

04-26-2012

I am new, I think 11 games played, only 2 non-bot games. I think the hardest thing to learn as a new player is patience. The most important thing you can do, I think, is stay alive. Getting behind in level and items, really messes up your whole game.

MikeLemmer

04-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUZTIKAR View Post
I am new, I think 11 games played, only 2 non-bot games. I think the hardest thing to learn as a new player is patience. The most important thing you can do, I think, is stay alive. Getting behind in level and items, really messes up your whole game.
I wouldn't call it patience; I would call it restraint. Knowing when to call it a push, or fall back and cut your losses, is huge. That was really hammered home for me while watching the tournament streams over the last month. Notice how often they used their ults just to get away: no damage, no kills, just for that extra burst of speed to keep them from being ganked. I'd say their ult use was about 50% offensive, 50% survival. I imagine most players would scoff at the thought of using their ultimate solely to run, but as my WoW raid leader used to say: "You don't do any damage when you're dead." (Unless you're Karthus or Kog'maw.)

Brandon12332

07-01-2012

Yeah I know this is kinda a necro bump but I'm going to say it anyway.

On the Weird Lanes part, every time I play a game and there are 2 top, 2 mid, and I'm the only one bottom, I will always say about 4 times "someone come bot" and when no one comes I just leave it and say "well since no one is coming I just won't guard it..." and that usually get's some one's attention

Kirielis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-02-2012

Heh. After a while they'll just fall neatly into 2-1-2. Take note that that kind of behaviour often gets you raged at, though. Especially at higher levels. It's also a nice precursor to being a rager, as you get used to having your own way and thinking your way is better than everyone else's. (In the case of laning matchups...no, it isn't necessarily always better to have 2-1-2. Almost always, yes, and it's also "the way things are done". That still doesn't equate to your point of view always being superior.)

I see it all the time. Nice newbie comes in to play LoL. 28 summoner levels later, he's raging at everyone for everything and thinks he knows everything, even if the available information contradicts what he says. (This is not meant to call anyone out. I have seen this happen twice in LoL U alone and at least a few more from buddies who aren't in the U, and that's only the ones I notice.) I do accept that people have opinions, and the longer they play the more opinioniated they are, also true. But you have opinions on points of contention, holding them to a greater or lesser degree than others. Example, it's not denied by anyone that Renekton has a strong early game but not as much of a lategame. Some people say this makes him useless and they would never pick him because it's not that difficult to play vs a strong early game and then steamroll when he falls off. Others say, go ahead and play him but let's make sure to win lane, win before he falls off hard, and if you lose based on lategame then you lose. It's okay to hold either opinion. But saying that Renekton has a weak early game and a strong late game is just...wrong. He does not. That is not an opinion, it is supposed fact...and it's wrong. (Note that "weak" and "strong" are here defined relative to other champions.)

This has been a digression. Never stop learning. Renekton Bot is OP.

Brandon12332

07-02-2012

I was playing those games vs. AI btw that why I would do that.

But now in PvP I know that you can go pretty much every which way and still turn up winning.

Oh yeah and I remember the game we played where Renekton ganked me like 5 times from various brush while I was trying to farm on minions... So annoying. He didn't seem to crumble too much in late game either, probably because after that he was pretty much fed...

silveraxx

07-26-2012

About the slow speed, I live in Uruguay (as in a good third world country, great fortunes are paid for a dsl that creeps like a rheumatic turtle) and I have 270 ping average. In my current level (16) noticed no difference with the other players that can be attributed to the connection, not that I have thought of coming to the 2k elo, but I want to know in which a high level player realizes of that a connection is slow.