Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Honestly Guys it needs to stop.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BraveryBeyond

04-25-2012

First off, +1. Yay for people trying to make the non-ranked community better, because it definitely needs an attitude adjustment.

I just find a few faults with what you've said and I'll get those out of the way now.

Quote:
Tenshinmon:
I think you missed the point. We don't even have to say we're female at certain times to be insulted as such. I didn't put that in because I wanted attention or because I thought it was a 'bigger' issue then anything else. I was just pointing out the fact that if you say your female or it suddenly just comes out, all of a sudden even if no one was screaming or yelling you get a response like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMVMhrwWxfc&feature=relmfu

Everyone gets told to suck a d*ck, it's not just females. How gender even got into this conversation is beyond me, though you posting that you're a woman probably didn't help. I'm not saying you should have to hide your identity on the internet in general but being a little more tactful with the topic at hand is certainly a good idea and what gender has to do with online harassment is basically nothing. Harassment is harassment and piping up with any specifics be it race, gender or sexual orientation is just going to start raising flags for "Oh, well he/she is just looking out for his/her own, what a greedy person!" I know it's not the intention but it's certainly the reaction you start getting, as evident by the replies you've received in this thread, as you begin to imply certain themes and goals as you position your opinion.

Quote:
Tenshinmon:
Or even worse, guys start giving you special attention and while some girls may enjoy it, I HATE it. I hate it when I find one guy following me all around the map and showering me with undeserved compliments that obviously are focused on getting me to 'like' them. Sexual equality is something that the internet seems to be lacking lately.

I didn't really want to get into gender specifics, but this is a bit personal and I felt I had to share my opinion on it.

This is always difficult subject to broach as the often demonized straight-white-male, but I have to say that I am directly opposed to that way of thinking. I hate being told that I'm some sort of chauvinist, backwards, woman beating, get-back-in-the-kitchen-and-make-me-a-sandwich sort of guy when I treat the fairer *** as just that. Yes, I treat women differently just because they're women and that's the social norm. This is what I was brought up on and that's what I believe in. It's hardwired into mens' brains to be a little more dashing around women and why a good amount of them feel the need to constantly debase this to some sort of super-sexist attitude is a tad frustrating, especially when our intentions are simply good natured and well mannered.

Do I take it to the extreme in your example in which I will purposefully sabotage a game because God forbid you have to farm your own gold? No. Does that mean that I might keep my eye out a little more often for the down and out female player who'll need a little bit of extra guarding to get farmed up a bit more than a man in the same position. Yes. Does that mean if someone decides to spout a tirade of colourful remarks to a woman that I'll immediately come to her defense? Most certainly, because even if you can defend yourself in that situation, doesn't mean you should have to defend yourself; it's beneath you to do so.

Quote:
Tenshinmon:
We don't BRAG about it. We usually get insulted after ganking someones lane and get an insult like 'Go suck your own ****' and then say something like 'We don't have ****s but our nonexistent ****s are probably bigger then your own'. But the majority of the time we just act like guys and try to ignore it because of the pathetic BS we get from most of the community.

If this is how you're reacting to the situation, for whatever percentage you decide to respond like that, you honestly deserve most things that would come after that. Acting like a smart ass just because someone insults you is just the sort of behaviour you're saying should not exist. There is absolutely no justification you can give for it. If you truly want the community to change, you'll have to accept that that sort of response is unacceptable and that turning the other cheek, while difficult, is the best and only response to combat this issue. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Phew! Now that that's over, let's get to what I really wanted to talk about...

Quote:
Tenshinmon:
I just want to say it isn't all of online gaming. I've been treated fairly as a female in multiple other FTP games. Like Wakfu, Dofus (before it was Dofus 2, after that I just quit the game because of all the technical problems) Pandora Saga, Shin Megami Tensei and Rusty Hearts. Just to name a few. I'm something of an MMO reviewer for my friends and the people I know with all the online gaming I've done. I know the internet, I've been here awhile, since the good ol' MUD times. I repeat with this experience in mind, it isn't all of online gaming.

This can be explained in three parts:

1. League of Legends is a free to play game. Getting a new account after your last one was banned is as easy as shoveling out another e-mail from the multitude of services provided on the internet. While higher level summoners would certainly benefit from this unless the person in question is fairly dedicated to their craft, League of Legends will always have bad players because it's too simple to get into the game. It's a trade-off, really, as this also means a lot of good people who can't afford monthly subscriptions or can only put in money in small amounts, or large amounts with too sporadic a time frame can play and support a game they love, adding value to the community.

2. League of Legends is incredibly popular. We're talking World of Warcraft popular. Most of the games you mentioned are fairly under the radar comparatively and attract a very niche audience. League of Legends, on the other hand, has a very large player base and thus a very large and varied community. Going back to the example of World of Warcraft, because of it's popularity, even though you need to pay a monthly subscription, people still create new accounts and harass people all the time in that game. People spend good money just to harass others. Now take that and apply point #1 and you've got a pretty good breeding ground for toxic players because repercussions are extremely temporary at best. However, because of this popularity, a lot of great people have also joined the community and have shared their love of a game they might not otherwise have played had it been a little lower key.

3. League of Legends is a different type of game. By that, I mean that all the other games you mentioned were MMORPGs. It's easy to say the communities are great when you can immediately separate yourself from toxic players as soon as they engage you. In League of Legends, you're stuck with them for fifteen to twenty minutes regardless of the situation lest you be punished for leaving. This is most effective when paired as a duo in 5v5s or simply going solo in 3v3s to prevent that surrender vote from going through. This, unfortunately, is the beast that dwells within the MOBA genre and really has no advantage to it like the other two points. Good players won't make the fact you're stuck with them for 20 minutes any more bearable, they simply make the game the way it's supposed to be: enjoyable. There's no real way to fix this as the team based play a set timed matches are an unfortunate reality for the game to work and I don't foresee this changing anytime soon.

Whelp, I think that about wraps it up. Hope it wasn't too long winded but you gave me a lot to think about and write about. Keep up the good work and hopefully we can change this community for the better by leading by example and raising awareness of the issue.

Big Bang Typhoon

04-25-2012

If you have a problem with what the internet exposes you to, then you are weak.

MAILMOTHERDUCKER

04-25-2012

Quote:
Tenshinmon:
You play a **** ton of League?

Is that why you're still a junior member?

all these means is she or he doesn't post in the forums that much. Your a ****ing moron to even bring that up.

Siannanana

04-25-2012

i didn't see this post until now bump for u =D

bledwhite

04-25-2012

Quote:
Dread Hands:
If you have a problem with what the internet exposes you to, then you are weak.

Yea......doesn't make it right for people to behave badly.

PvtSkittles

04-25-2012

bump for League of Legends hosting the first harassment/raging automute system!

Its obvious this community will never lose the trolls (as evident in the first few posts in this thread) so action needs to be taken to automatically pacify them for the community.

I would probably play more than I currently do if there wasnt so much raging going on every game

Vana21

04-25-2012

Quote:
underdevelopment:
If your advice (which was amazing btw, best advice ever) is "don't announce your gender, and you wont get harassed" then you've failed miserably at creating an atmosphere free of discrimination.

The reason you don't care about gender is because, you -- being a sh.itlord -- have decided that 100% of all gamers are a default (which Im sure to you is Straight-White-Male).

Goob job sitting at the top of the totem pole saying "what are all these people under me complaining about? It's nice at the top!"

Empathy. How does it work?

more like i know how females get discriminated against because of the attention *****s and kids pretending to be chicks and dont put myself in the position to get harassed. And where have I said anything referring to thinking everyone is some straight white dude. You're attempting to put words in my text that were not even vaguly referencing that.

while im on the topic, ill prove a point
you said this earlier
Quote:
underdevelopment:
A girl should not have to hide her identity because it makes you uncomfortable to have to imagine that every gamer is not a Straight-White-Male like yourself.

you said it again to me in different words
guess what, you assumed im male
im not
nice discrediting yourself

btw
posting in a general "lets all get along" thread
"you -- being a sh.itlord"

pot, meet kettle

ilikebunnys

04-25-2012

It's great to see people getting together to tackle bullying and I would support a motion to put this kind of anti-harassment system in place.

Silvamorde

04-25-2012

Pretty sad when women have to hide and not even mention their gender for fear of being humiliated, attacked, or trolled. Cant we just play the game as people, male and female? :/

Absolutes22

04-25-2012

Quote:
Acrial:
Only thing I muted was that annoying ****ing voice in that video. Grow some balls and stop being pussies. If anything here on the internet gets to you, you are so unprepared for life it's not even funny.

No see that's just it... If we have to put up with garbage all day at work / school, where ever you go what ever you do, who wants to come home from all that and put up with it by choice at home in their free time?

One of the primary points here is why should we have to simply tolerate it? Its mere presence, ignored or not, is toxic and serves no purpose other than spreading hate in the world. Why treat it as acceptable behavior simply because it has become the norm?