Honestly Guys it needs to stop.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Roccano

Senior Member

04-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemothHymside View Post
When you point out that their generic insult #91483 is factually incorrect because of your ***, you've made two big errors.

1). You pointed out you're a girl / woman, to which has no bearing on the insult. It's just a childish reactive insult with 0 thought. No point in breaking it down as though they're going to pick up on ANYTHING other than the fact you are a girl... And honestly, it just seems like some girls fish for an excuse to announce they are female.

2). Why respond at all? What meaninging insight can you bring to someone who is raging over a video game and hurling insults?

I have a few lady friends who do purposefully announce they are women if the other team is losing and being poor sports, because it just seems to.bruise the male ego to not only lose to a woman, but get trashed talked in the process. So unless you're pointing out the fact you have a vajay jay to increase the rectal ravaging from an already beligerent kid, there is no reason to say if you dangly bits or an axe wound.
The thing is, most of the girls who get trash talked, or messaged like they were in the video, were most likely only trying to communicate with the team.
Once most of the males on XBL hear that a female is on the other side of the Microphone, something goes on in their head, as if something inside them is saying "Hey, let me start trash talking this girl, just so I can try and make myself look like an alpha male."
Its not right, and I agree with this video, it NEEDS to be stopped.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Roccano

Senior Member

04-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrial View Post
Only thing I muted was that annoying ****ing voice in that video. Grow some balls and stop being pussies. If anything here on the internet gets to you, you are so unprepared for life it's not even funny.
And this, kids, is why 4chan, is not a basis for what real life really is.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cerevus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-25-2012

(tl;dr at the bottom.)

I read your post and watched the video in their entirety and, while I agree that there is a little too much negativity in the (online) gaming community, the ideas suggested within are terrible.

First of all, the whole "we are better than this, guys!" message that this video is trying to preach is bullcrap. Gaming was not, is not and will never be a community of "people who do not meet society's standard of cool." This community does not embrace someone just because society deems them uncool. Hell, just saying that is an insult to the entire gaming community at large. We are literally a mixing pot of all races, ages, genders, ideologies, beliefs, etc.. Gamers are NOT just "the losers" that "the cool kids" rejected -- that's just the background of the writers of this video. Gamers are all sorts of people. Gaming is no longer just the recluse Dungeons 'n' Dragoners playing in a basement somewhere. It's a social platform that connects us worldwide to STRANGERS that we can choose to welcome into our lives.

This leads me to my second point: people aren't generally *******s. Sure, you might feel that way by playing a round of League of Legends and having the nine other people rage at you for playing poorly, !BUT! this does not mean that they are *******s. I know that I'll talk a little more harshly to strangers than I will to friends that I queue with. Why? Because I know my friends and what they're capable of, so if they make a mistake, I know that they'll do their best to bounce back. If I'm queuing with a stranger, though, I don't know how much they know about the game. If I see them get ganked at top three times fourteen minutes in, I'm going to tell them to man up and buy some wards.

On to my third point, communication is subjective. If I say to that person up top, "holy **** bro, buy some **** wards and stop feeding!" is that considered harassment? To some people, yes, but how -I- mean it (in the heat of action) is to get some wards and start paying better attention. No one can deny that this game (and most, if not all, multiplayer games) creates adrenaline and really gets your blood pumping, so our communication skills aren't going to be at their peak. We're going to be naturally inclined to be more aggressive toward a stranger that we think is leading us to a defeat by not playing smart. As the person who is being criticized, you should take the things your allies say graciously (no matter how rude or insulting they may be - after all, it's just a form of criticism). Perhaps take the advice, even if it came to you in a hostile form. No one goes into a match TRYING to lose. Everyone plays this game to win, some are just better and get luckier than others. Think about how you treat the person who got ganked three times fourteen minutes in and ask yourself if you would be inspired to play better or if you would just be getting frustrated having people rage at you.

I feel like this whole message is pandering to the weak. If the words of some stranger online genuinely offend you, then sure, that's why we have the mute option. But trying to implement systems that can be manipulated and worked around because your skin is too thin is a band-aid on a bullet wound.

I feel the League of Legends community is generally a positive community. Sure, there are a lot of ragers, but once you learn to speak their language you learn that they're not harassing you, they just don't know any other way to say, "Hey, can you please play a little more passively, maybe buy some defense items and wards and ask the team if you need help?"

I mean, honestly, when was the last time YOU spoke to four feeding strangers like that?

tl;dr Be your own change. Don't let negativity influence the way you treat others. Infect the community with positivity. Don't rely on systemic policing to quiet our voices. We are mature. We can handle ourselves.

edit to add: I also love how this video goes OFF on these ragers with the same type of harassment they're claiming to want to eliminate. "They want attention. Somewhere, something has gone so wrong in their lives ... they need to feel important and powerful because they lack that in their real lives ..." Bull****. This video is the biggest pile of hypocrisy I've ever watched.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Hunstoppable

Senior Member

04-25-2012

Well, the focus is on individuals that use the isolated environment of private messaging and in-game chat to harass females that would even offend the occasional Internet Black Knight that spouts misogynistic kitchen jokes to trolololol.

It's not a new issue, it's an old one that serves nothing else to make internet gaming more of a sausage fest.

The problem is that these likely adolescent individuals are simply at home doing such things. I say have a gaming company privately offer to give a parental option to view all the messages they send out via their phone. That could cut down on harassers that have somewhat concerned parents.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bekkal

Senior Member

04-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerevus View Post
tl;dr Be your own change. Don't let negativity influence the way you treat others. Infect the community with positivity. Don't rely on systemic policing to quiet our voices. We are mature. We can handle ourselves.
You say you are mature, but your entire post reeks of "teenager". You know nothing of the history of video game culture, you know very little of social interaction and tact, and your entire basis for understanding online gaming seems to have arisen in the Xbox Live generation.

A long post is not always a good post, as you just proved so neatly.

edit: PS - no one outside of 4chan thinks 4chan is cool. Absolutely no one thinks 4chan is a basis for, proving grounds for, or authority on anything.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HeavenInHerArms

Senior Member

04-25-2012

I hate when gender comes up because everyone either trolls the chicks or goes into white knight mode. I dont give any number of ****s as to who or what you are, just play the game and try and help the team.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Roccano

Senior Member

04-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekkal View Post
You say you are mature, but your entire post reeks of "teenager". You know nothing of the history of video game culture, you know very little of social interaction and tact, and your entire basis for understanding online gaming seems to have arisen in the Xbox Live generation.

A long post is not always a good post, as you just proved so neatly.

edit: PS - no one outside of 4chan thinks 4chan is cool. Absolutely no one thinks 4chan is a basis for, proving grounds for, or authority on anything.
If your commenting on my post, then I was only making a joke about his attitude, I dont honestly think he came from 4chan, its just his general "GET THICKER SKIN" attitude.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bekkal

Senior Member

04-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleasantBusiness View Post
I hate when gender comes up because everyone either trolls the chicks or goes into white knight mode. I dont give any number of ****s as to who or what you are, just play the game and try and help the team.
Instead of "white knight mode" I think you meant to say "idiots have no idea what 'white knighting' is and pretend anyone arguing toward a positive is a white knight".

I will agree there.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogoth1 View Post
If your commenting on my post, then I was only making a joke about his attitude, I dont honestly think he came from 4chan, its just his general "GET THICKER SKIN" attitude.
I'm just commenting on the guy I quoted, probably for the same reasons you seem to have made a similar comment.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cerevus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bekkal View Post
You say you are mature, but your entire post reeks of "teenager". You know nothing of the history of video game culture, you know very little of social interaction and tact, and your entire basis for understanding online gaming seems to have arisen in the Xbox Live generation.

A long post is not always a good post, as you just proved so neatly.

edit: PS - no one outside of 4chan thinks 4chan is cool. Absolutely no one thinks 4chan is a basis for, proving grounds for, or authority on anything.
Allow me this one small paragraph to address your initial reaction and then I'll return to the topic:

You're lumping yourself into the group of "harassers" in your post by immediately applying labels that YOU view as negative to ME. I have nothing against teenagers. Whether or not I share with you my real age on this posting board is irrelevant - you disagree with me so you want to insult me in your own one-upping way. To you, I'm a "teenager," and that must mean I know nothing of your "culture." Pot? Kettle.

So, back to the point: did you actually have a counterpoint to anything I said, or were you just going to attack my intelligence about "real gamers" and how I'm not really a part of your society? Because I thought gamers welcome others with open arms. Or, at least, that's would watching this video would have had me believe. : )

Oh, and for the record? Please quote where I said I was mature. You must have just gotten that vibe from the post. Hmm.

OH AND ONE MORE THING. Video games != games. The gaming culture has been around much longer than the video gaming culture, so try again.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bekkal

Senior Member

04-25-2012

I'm putting off a ton of work, so this should be a lot of fun to dismantle step-by-step until lunch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerevus View Post
Allow me this one small paragraph to address your initial reaction and then I'll return to the topic:

You're lumping yourself into the group of "harassers" in your post by immediately applying labels that YOU view as negative to ME. I have nothing against teenagers. Whether or not I share with you my real age on this posting board is irrelevant - you disagree with me so you want to insult me in your own one-upping way. To you, I'm a "teenager," and that must mean I know nothing of your "culture." Pot? Kettle.
I absolutely am quite rude to, even harassing of, anyone I see as a negative influence. The difference between me and someone who preys on people is that I only am disrespectful to those who go out causing trouble. I never called you a teenager, I said your post "reeked of teenager", and then offered reasons why. You remind me of the teenagers I see, directly opposing your own claim that you are "mature".

Quote:
So, back to the point: did you actually have a counterpoint to anything I said, or were you just going to attack my intelligence about "real gamers" and how I'm not really a part of your society? Because I thought gamers welcome others with open arms. Or, at least, that's would watching this video would have had me believe. : )
I offered counterpoints to everything I said when I rejected your statements as those of someone who is immature or lacking in understanding.

Quote:
Oh, and for the record? Please quote where I said I was mature. You must have just gotten that vibe from the post. Hmm.

OH AND ONE MORE THING. Video games != games. The gaming culture has been around much longer than the video gaming culture, so try again.
I also have been a part of tabletop gaming, roleplaying gaming, and CCG cultures. The social rules/mores are roughly the same.

As for where you stated you are mature? Here, I'll bold it for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerevus View Post
tl;dr Be your own change. Don't let negativity influence the way you treat others. Infect the community with positivity. Don't rely on systemic policing to quiet our voices. We are mature. We can handle ourselves.
Also, I quoted this same sentence directly in the post you responded to. You are very clearly incapable of handling yourself. Even when you try to sound intelligent and snarky, you can't quite pull it off. Stop arguing for an indefensible position.