Honestly Guys it needs to stop.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Illyriomysterio

Senior Member

04-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksyde View Post
If it was offensive then why does LGBT mean lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender? Gay isn't an offensive word to begin with. It can be used offensively, but that's not what we are talking about here.
Because it just became easier to be referred to it. Do you think Romani people enjoy being called gypsies? No, but they acknowledge that that will happen because, let's face it, Romani is a weird word.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darksyde

Senior Member

04-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex3omg View Post
Right. When Justin Bieber released a new album and you say "lol that's gay" you're not using it offensively... so... what way are we talking about? What are you trying to say exactly?
I'm not using it a way that refers to homosexuals or compares justin biebers new album to homosexuals. It has nothing to do with sexuality in that context. What part of "new meaning" isn't getting through to you?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Garnet

Senior Member

04-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by die4769 View Post
It's offensive because you're equating things that are bad, terrible, and unpleasant to being gay. It's really not that hard to understand.
Don't even bother. I've never seen someone reflect 'speaking to a brick wall' so strongly as this guy.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EnderForHegemon

Senior Member

04-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksyde View Post
If you really believe that everytime someone says "that's gay" they are specifically referring to or comparing something to homosexuals, then you are the one being purposefully obtuse. How can you not understand that the word being used in that context has a new meaning that's widely accepted by our society and by most English speakers.
I honestly don't agree. Even if it's true at the point when it comes out of someone's mouth, I personally would say that once it's out there, the homosexual meaning of the word <will> surface in the minds of a lot of people in the game. This is hard to word, but I feel that the word, when used innocently, <does> inevitably associate with homosexuality.

I feel like you're arguing that this association doesn't happen, or that if it does, it's the fault of the person who makes the connection. Considering how straightforwardly the word 'gay' - applied to a person - means 'homosexual', this seems to me to be unfair of you.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kolgax

Senior Member

04-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidco View Post
Not everyone will like you in teh real world and the same thing applies in video games. Some people just don't get along.
Yeah. All I am saying is if we are all civil we can avoid problems. That's what we should all strive for.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darksyde

Senior Member

04-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by die4769 View Post
It's offensive because you're equating things that are bad, terrible, and unpleasant to being gay. It's really not that hard to understand.
No you aren't because that's not the meaning of the word when it's being used in that context. It's really not that hard to understand.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nathanphetamine

Senior Member

04-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksyde View Post
No it's not offensive because most of the society of 2012 says so. Languages change over time and words change over time. Gay used to mean happy before homosexuals every started using it. See the meaning changed, or not so much changed but a new meaning emerged. Gay still technically means happy as well, it's just not used that way as much anymore. Now another new meaning has emerged. When people say "that's gay" they are expressing their dislike for something. However it has nothing to do with homosexuality. They are not expressing their dislike for homosexuals. The word doesn't have anything to do with anyones sexuality when used in this context and anyone who lives in the 21st century understands this. Languages are ever-changing. I feel sorry for people who don't understand this.
ya if i get killed in a way that i feel shouldnt have happened or get tower dove by 3 people or something i would say 'thats gay' and by no means am i saying 'thats homosexual' it has nothing to do with homosexuality. its just a relatively common phrase. if i tell my friend to **** off. it has nothing to do with having ***. its an entirely different thing


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

buttbrain

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

04-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illyriomysterio View Post
Because it just became easier to be referred to it. Do you think Romani people enjoy being called gypsies? No, but they acknowledge that that will happen because, let's face it, Romani is a weird word.
gypsy isn't a weird word?

TO ME ROMANI IS LESS WEIRD THAN GYPSY. SEE HOW EVERYONE CAN MAKE THEIR OWN DISTINCTIONS?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Darksyde

Senior Member

04-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by suns song View Post
Don't even bother. I've never seen someone reflect 'speaking to a brick wall' so strongly as this guy.
I could say the same about you .


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BACKSTABUUU

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darksyde View Post
No you aren't because that's not the meaning of the word when it's being used in that context. It's really not that hard to understand.
So, when you're saying "Oh man, that death was so gay", you're actually saying that it was a happy death and you enjoyed it?