Talon - Item/rune help needed please.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mitch Bade

04-23-2012

I've played around 900 games, and I play AP or AP/AD hybrid champs 95% of the time. I never got interested to jungle (not sure why) or learn pure AD champs.

I own Akali so I'm familiar with the role of an assassin, and she is the only champ i play that is somewhat similar to Talon. I have read many of the top rated guides on different sites, but Ithere are things that I want to know and be confident about.

1. Runes
AD Marks, Armor Seals, MR Glyphs, MS Quints are what I use. I don't own Arm Pen Marks since I never owned a champ that needed them. Will this work for now? What should I aim for?

2. Which lane?...Jungle?
I've seen a few guides that he can jungle decently, but since I have no prior jungle experience I don't want to begin there. I don't play Ranked games even though I know I'm good enough with my other champs, so don't take that into account. I find it hard to decide confidently on the fly which lane I belong in. What is the norm? I've solo topped once and did pretty well.

3. Items
This is the big thing for me! I know what all the items for AD champs do, but I find it extremely difficult to decide which ones to get or finish first. Do I go for the brutalizer first then Bloodthirster (if Bloodthirster is even a good choice for Talon). Phantom Dancer? Tri-Force? I know its situational every game since the enemy team has different items.

CDR Boots or Berzerker?

Which stats do I prioritize for Talon? AD, AS, Arm Pen, MS in what order?

I've got his gameplay and most of his tactics down, but my faults are in my item choices and I know it. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks.

asfzx

04-23-2012

http://competitive.na.leagueoflegend...pion-spotlight well heres a spotlight this might help...

Mitch Bade

04-23-2012

I have seen the Champion Spotlight, but I've seen many top rated guides start his items off differently and build their items in different order. Ty for your help though!

SinisterBlack

04-23-2012

I usually go boots pots, next back I get double dorans blades or one dorans blade and a long sword + wards pots if needed. With the long sword I get a hexdrinker; Maw of Malmortius I find is really good on him, especially if you're going mid with him (though I go top and still buy this). I don't tend to get the Brutalizer anymore, as I never used to finish it, and find that other items that give straight, larger amounts of AD and/or resistances are better. That's just my opinion though.

After that I either finish the Maw or I start the Blood Thirster from the vamp scepter, though I tend to always finish the maw before the blood thirster; it tends to help me dive people a bit better and offers the scaling ad when you're wounded. after I finish the blood thirster I get a giants belt. I think around this time you should have like 250-300 or something AD and in any case enough damage to be a threat, so its a bit important to get some survivability with him. I usually get a frozen mallet with the belt, since it will proc his passive by slowing them each hit, so you do 10% more damage to everyone you auto attack.

Those are just the items I tend to go. Usually by the time you're building the frozen mallet the game should be closing up, but after that I would likely go atma's, even after the nerf it offers good enough damage paired with a health item and gives you armor much the same way the Maw will give you MR, so you should be pretty hard hitting and tanky enough to survive a little focus.

Oh and for boots I'd do merc treads or berserker's depending on the enemy.

Hope this helped.

Mitch Bade

04-23-2012

That definately helped thank you for the insight!

acosn

04-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch Bade View Post
I've played around 900 games, and I play AP or AP/AD hybrid champs 95% of the time. I never got interested to jungle (not sure why) or learn pure AD champs.

I own Akali so I'm familiar with the role of an assassin, and she is the only champ i play that is somewhat similar to Talon. I have read many of the top rated guides on different sites, but Ithere are things that I want to know and be confident about.

1. Runes
AD Marks, Armor Seals, MR Glyphs, MS Quints are what I use. I don't own Arm Pen Marks since I never owned a champ that needed them. Will this work for now? What should I aim for?
You might want to consider armor pen quints. Or Reds. But you're fine as-is.

Quote:
2. Which lane?...Jungle?
I've seen a few guides that he can jungle decently, but since I have no prior jungle experience I don't want to begin there. I don't play Ranked games even though I know I'm good enough with my other champs, so don't take that into account. I find it hard to decide confidently on the fly which lane I belong in. What is the norm? I've solo topped once and did pretty well.
Jungle, solo top against characters that aren't oriented toward strong harassment, and mid against most casters.

Quote:
3. Items
This is the big thing for me! I know what all the items for AD champs do, but I find it extremely difficult to decide which ones to get or finish first. Do I go for the brutalizer first then Bloodthirster (if Bloodthirster is even a good choice for Talon). Phantom Dancer? Tri-Force? I know its situational every game since the enemy team has different items.

CDR Boots or Berzerker?

Which stats do I prioritize for Talon? AD, AS, Arm Pen, MS in what order?
Thanks.
Generally you ignore AS with Talon. He's an ability driven character that wants to make each attack hit hard, but not necessarily fast. You want some AS, but never an AS primary item like Phantom Dancer.

SinguIarity

04-23-2012

Merc treds.

Mitch Bade

04-23-2012

I think I will begin saving IP to slowly replace my flat AD marks with Armor Pen marks. I do, however love how mobile he is with the MS Quints. I've never owned a champ that runs so fast without having to use or land an ability to gain the speed. But, if the 4.5% isn't that much of a notable difference to you, then maybe I will look to replace them, or try a game with my HP Quints, since I don't have anything else better to replace them with for now.

I've never been a fan of getting Doran's items on my first trip back to the store. Especially now that they got a slight nerf. I feel like I'm wasting gold that could go towards the bigger main items he needs. Is it not a waste of gold? Is it that important for Talon?

Thanks for the tip about AS not being a primary concern. You're right that it should be a secondary stat that just so happens to be in the items I really do need.

Any more tips anyone? This is very helpful!

cpandarun

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-23-2012

I run 6 armor pen and 3 ad reds. 9 flat armor yellows for top lane or 7 ad and 2 armor yellows mid 9 mr glyphs and 3 ad quints.

I run 21/0/9 masteries for mid and 21/9/0 for top.

My item order is boots 3 pots Doransx2 if I'm top then Brutalizer. I rush Brutalizer after boots in midlane forgoing Dorans unless I'm behind. Follow this with BloodThirster then Last Whisper or another BloodThirster if they aren't building armor. Get Last Whisper if you haven't already. You're pretty set on damage with Bloodthirster Last Whisper and Brutalizer so get something defensive like Guardian Angel or Quicksilver Sash. Sell your Brutalizer if you need more damage or suvivability for another Bloodthirster if you haven't already bought a second one or sell it for one of the defensive items I mentioned already. If you don't need to sell it don't the cooldown reduction is now it's most impressive stat usually I still have it by the time I finish a game. To me a perfect build would be Bloodthirsterx2 Last Whisper Guardian Angel Quicksilver Sash boots.

PS I really like Boots of Mobility if I'm doing well in lane. makes for great map control.

spartanREBEL26

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-23-2012

use the talon guide on solomid by zoller. Its very informative, and in that build he goes mid.