Rune Help Request

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kavrae

04-23-2012

I'm currently lvl 19. When I hit 20 I want to pick up some T3 runes for my two primary champs: Ahri and Ryze. Other champs will come later. Since I'm already low on IP and full sets are obnoxiously expensive I want to get them planned out before I buy them. Here's what I currently have planned; feel free to tear it apart.

Ahri
-Quintessence
-Potency(AP) x2

-Marks
-Insight(Pen) x6

-Seals
-Resilience(Armor) x6

-Glyphs
-Potency(AP) x6

Ryze
-Quintessence
Swiftness x2

-Marks
-Insight(Pen) x6

-Seals
-Resilience(Armor) x6

-Glyphs
-Glyphs(Res/lvl) x6

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-23-2012

You pretty much want to have the following runeset:

Red - Armor Penetration or Magic Penetration. (in some cases AD or AS work better but this is best for general purposes. MPen is ALWAYS best for any magical champ)

Yellow - Flat Armor for everyone. Simple, effective. Works for jungler too and solo top and bottom lane. Solomid dont need the armor early, but oh well. Some champs might prefer health per level eventually or even mana regen, but you can work on that later.

Blue - Magic Resistance per level for everyone. Works great for all champs. Solo mid sometimes wants flat MR, but the difference isnt worth speccing a new page for.
A few champs want flat AP, but these are mostly ones with a HEAL or a SHIELD.
Akali may be an exception since she wants to cough up enough AP to activate her passive.

Quints - AP is great for most magical champs.
General purpose ones include Move Speed (for most including RYZE)
Support likes having GP/10.

Kavrae

04-23-2012

Certainly seems like there's a bit of unbalance when almost every rune type has a "Must have" rune to it.

Either way, I've been going over MPen vs Move Speed quints on Ryze. Certainly leaning towards movement at the moment.

AlethiaArete

04-23-2012

I'd agree with you. Because it's possible to snowball so badly that your enemy gives up, I think most people tend to pick the most efficient ways to block/deal damage. But honestly I don't think it's as cut and dry.

Anyways, here is how I plan to build my own Ryze page: Magic pen marks. Mana regen/level or HP/level seals (not sure yet). Mana/level glyphs. Mana/level quints or movement.

This page is full out damage. It's a glass cannon build, for sure.

defleppardruelz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-23-2012

i'd recommend mana regen yellows for both ryze and ahri.

RealQueenElsa

04-23-2012

Runes are very, very interesting to me and they'll basically end up giving you a free item or part of one depending if you choose scaling or flat.

Flat - Strong early game and will give you the most benefit right from the get go and can allow you to zone your enemy pre-six and possibly give you a first blood or first kill in the lane.

Scaling - Rewards your mid/late game with not much impact on the transition. I've seen flat AP scaling pages that give 60 AP at level 18 and that packs quite a punch!

PERSONALLY, I do not think armor and magic penetration quints/runes are generally worth it. It makes for a strong, strong early game, but will fade when it comes to late game. Why? Your magic penetration is calculated like this...

Flat//Percentage. For example if you have 20 flat magic pen and 10% magic pen and you attack a creature with 100 MR this is how it goes. 100-20 = 80. 80 - 8(10%) = 72. So it's as though the creature you are attacking has 72 MR.

If you just get a void staff it's 100 - 40 (40%) = 60.

Percentage penetration will triumph over flat penetration when it comes to late game and the enemy team has built some defensive items.

That's my $0.02 on marks and quints for penetration whether it is magical or armor.

One disclaimer: Olaf can have armor penetration quints because with his ultimate and a few items he can ignore like... 50+ armor, which is just ridiculous.

Kavrae

04-23-2012

That's definitely a well reasoned argument. The way my current games have been going, I'm mostly worried about getting that early game advantage. I'm definitely a much stronger player in the laning phase than late-game. If I can get that, scaling stats won't be as necessary. For the AP vs M.Res bit I'll throw some numbers around today based on average started Def and health, see what will give the larger advantage with laning harassment.

The Mana Regen seals..... I may have to test these out. I have had some mana issues mid-game with both, and that may cure it.

The Mana quints really didn't impress me with Ryze. May take a second look since you mentioned it, so I'll see how that goes.

Kavrae

04-23-2012

Unless my spreadsheet is off, flat AP quints are going to outperform Spell Pen quints marginally at lvl 1, and consistently be better as I level my skills with Ahri. Having the enemy stack Resistance doesn't change this either, only made the difference smaller.

Naturally, this doesn't count for much on a mana-carry like Ryze, so I'll need to put together a different sheet for him.

Ternce

04-23-2012

On Ryze, you should use Movement Speed Quintessences. Ryze is a bully, and apart from his Q, his spells have a fairly short range compared to most casters. Being able to get in and get out is crucial for him, and being faster than the other guy helps with this.

Kavrae

04-23-2012

Took a look at the speed quints. At lvl 20 (2 quints) it would allow Ryze to outrun any 315 base movement speed champs. Decent for getaways. At lvl 30 (3 quints) however it really shines, allowing him to outrun all base 320 champs, leaving only 12 champions able to outrun him.

I know snares, stuns, slows, gap closers, etc ruin this; but the base speed is definitely something he needs. So tired of being chased down.