Do you think adding footstep- sounds for champions would be neat?

Yes 77 63.11%
No 45 36.89%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Footstep- sounds on champions?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Inskipp

04-23-2012

I've noticed that recent champions have had separate sound effects in their dance- animations, namely in the form of footsteps and the occasional foot- slides. I find this to be a nice addition which brings some nice feedback back to the player.

This however brings up a certain question: How come there is no audio for champion- movement?

In HoN or Dota 2, each champion has separate sound effects for when they move on dirt tracks, grass and even on water. I find this to be a nice addition that adds that little tinge of immersion to the game world, and adds more weight to the characters. I personally find it appealing to listen to.

In LoL however, there's no such thing. Characters just walk around silently. Admittedly, they're not vital for the gameplay, and the lack of footstep sounds doesn't really take much away either.

But it would be sweet to hear a 6x feast stacked Cho'Gath stomping around the battlefield. Then hearing those stomps echo across the map (own team, not the enemy team necessarily), akin to T- Rex stomps from Jurassic Park.

What do you think?

Tenshiro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-23-2012

Might get a bit loud and confusing at times but I think it would be a great new feature.

Inskipp

04-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenshiro View Post
Might get a bit loud and confusing at times but I think it would be a great new feature.
I suppose so. I can undestand if footsteps are too loud for someone's liking (not everyone likes loud stomps :P ). Therefore a separate slider for footsteps in audio- settings would be a very nice feature to have along.

Acetylsalicylin

04-23-2012

Clippity cloppity.

Wahn

04-23-2012

you only want hecarim to have footstep sounds, don't you?

Slunk3R

04-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inskipp View Post
I suppose so. I can undestand if footsteps are too loud for someone's liking (not everyone likes loud stomps :P ). Therefore a separate slider for footsteps in audio- settings would be a very nice feature to have along.
Why would someone downvote an opinion like this? Upvoted.

I personally like the idea of adding footsteps, however it has to be able to be disabled/enabled and I agree that there should be an option to set the volume of the footsteps.

Tenronth

04-23-2012

Corki has sound.

SkyWolf04

04-23-2012

It could sound really bad if implemented right now, since LoL doesn't even have proper stereo/surround channel separation. But I like the idea.

ImpendingxDoom

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWolf04 View Post
It could sound really bad if implemented right now, since LoL doesn't even have proper stereo/surround channel separation. But I like the idea.
Footsteps do not require stereo panning as and rts does not have a defined perspective (adding an L/R array would only tell you 2 cardinal directions rather than the 4 you need for an rts.)

Now lets take some things into consideration:

In order to not have the footsteps sound repetitive and terrible, a code needs to be written to change pitch and intensity on a randomized parameter. (not such a problem with middleware)

This will make the game slightly more hardware intensive (maybe an option for low/high quality audio. Again, more work).

Now for the aesthetic reasons. Now League of Legends has not necessarily been the paramount of realism, but I can see why footsteps could imbue some sort of subconscious knowledge of who is on the battlefield based on their coconut-shell footsteps.

With a bit of audio knowledge, I tend to listen to those more experienced in my field. And according to the great Walter Murch, and audience can only ever pay attention to up to 3 sounds at once and still comprehend whats going on (also known as the 2.5 rule). And at any given time in the mix for League of Legends, we have: Music bed, Champion one liners, Announcements (You have slain an enemy, PENTAKILL), SFX for turrets/minions, and SFX for champion skills. At any given time you are only focusing on about 2 of those at once, so that begs the question: is it worth the work to add footsteps if there is no guarantee you will hear them at the time when they would be helpful.

Just a bit on insight.

FabiianLuke

04-23-2012

I love the idea, but the thing with it is implementing the different types of footsteps for every single character based on how they walk, when they are in the river, and are affected by other AoE skills that screw with the ground(Trundle and his mud puddle :P)