Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Hi

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

1nkBl0t

04-23-2012

I'm new here, and addicted (mabe?) ^_^ Just hit lvl 11. I really enjoy playing Lux, but funny enough got most of my wins from Kayle so far. If anyone has any tips on how to improve generally, please share. I'm working my way through all the general guides on the forum. Don't necessarily intend sticking with any one champ.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=68225

I'd like to get semi-serious. My love for SC2 is dwindling so yeah.. Do you recommend studying VODs? Maybe getting into a clan? There are alot of items/champions/builds/matchups to know.

Thanks! n_n

(edit: Oh and what is the major difference between bot and top lane? Usually I send one ranged to centre, and heavies to top.. but no one's really explained it yet?)

Life Is Sleepin

04-23-2012

Right now you should just focus on getting to lvl 30. Many people advise to not spend any IP until you hit lvl 20 so then you can buy all of your Tier 3 runes ASAP. I dont think this is 100% nescessary, as long as you make sure to slowly buy your runes.

Dont bother about joining a Team until your 30. Unless you and your friends really want to.

Play the game until 30 and then decide if you really want to start taking it seriously. I dont doubt you still will but theres no point investing all this time into something that you might just end up dropping complerelty before fully understanding it.

One thing to note, When I first hit lvl 30 I was losing ALOT of my games. Im not sure if this will happen to you but if it does its normal. The game was putting me against other people who had been lvl 30 for much longer. It was horrible at first but just dont give up. You will get better eventually and things will get easier.

The current META is to send 1 high sustain champ (usually a tanky DPS champ) top, 1 mage mid, an AD carry + Support bot, and a Jungler who clears the jungle and ganks lanes when needed. The AD carry and support are sent bot for dragon control. If only 1 was sent bot and two top than the dragon could easily be taken by a teams jungler because the other team wouldnt have enough strength to stop him. The mage is sent mid because they usually need lvls more than items. And the high sustain champ is sent to to just feed for as long as possible to prepare for late game.

Hope this helped and wasnt to much reading or anything. If you need anything else you can add me.

TehomCD

04-23-2012

Reading guides written by expert-level players on a place like solomid.net or lolpro.com is a great starting point for learning how to play any champions. VODs/streams can be helpful, but you need to remember that everything you see there will be a dramatically different experience than what you'll encounter in games - level 30, usually extremely highly skilled players who expect people to play in specific ways, etc. Not everything will be relevant to you - for example, the practice of having a support with an AD carry bottom is only practical if the AD carry is good at last hitting, and that shouldn't be true for a long time unless you're reaaaally far ahead of the curve (like someone with experience in another game of the genre, DoTA or HoN).

IxVicexI

04-23-2012

Idk if any one of the 2 posts said it cuz I'm lazy and don't wanna read but runes are great. At LVL 20 is when you get your tier 3 runes and honestly they make a big difference, especially in higher lvl's of play. Higher elo's and all that good stuff.
I wanna try lux but she takes some time cuz she isn't the greatest AP char but you do some dmg )
Hope to see you out there!

Sokar468

04-23-2012

Welcome, 1nkBl0t! The posts above me have some great info, so I won't reiterate, but a friendly piece of advice for new players that will save you much angst:

Try to avoid using MOBAfire guides until you have a firm understanding of the game. That way, you can better differentiate the legit guides from the trash guides (of which there are many, since MOBAfire guides are rated by popular vote and not screened for approval by high ranked players). Personally, I prefer the guides on solomid.net for that approval reason I just mentioned, although I'm sure other players know other good sites for guides.

Good luck! Feel free to add me in game if you ever have questions, too.