Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Gangplank runes: armor penetration vs. critical strike chance

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MeltedWater

04-23-2012

Hi, I'm new, I'm almost level 20, and I am looking into what runes I'll be buying. It seems a lot of guides go for armor penetration. With getting all armor penetration marks and quints, it looks like I can get 16.62 armor penetration. Is that a lot? Is that good?

I could, instead, get 9.3% critical chance. I like having critical chance early, like to start, so I might accidently crit an enemy champion while I'm harassing them (sometimes I'll even kill them unexpectedly doing this). Is that a good enough reason to get critical chance runes, or do you think armor penetration is better?

TwistWrist

04-23-2012

Should be 25 armor pen if you go marks and Quints.

I prefer armor penetration. In terms of straight average DPS, it is better plus it is harder to itemize anything. Plus, Trinity/Sheen procs cannot crit so I don't see any point in having crit early on.

netkitten

04-23-2012

sure, arpen reds are better. i dunno about quints, personally i run ms quints on my solotop and jungle bruisers

Leib Olmai

04-23-2012

Go Arm pen marks and AD quint.

R00ler

04-23-2012

TwistWrist is right, but just to elaborate, when you crit and proc with sheen at the same time you do: 200% additional damage, the sheen bonus does not get counted in the critical strike damage. If your normal damage is 100, then a crit + sheen would give you 300 damage; that's 100 base, 100 crit, and 100 sheen. If you had Infinity Edge and Trinity Force you would do 100 base damage + 150 critical strike damage + 150 sheen damage.

oogabuga

04-23-2012

GP can run quite a few different rune combinations to full effect. Crit chance are good for those lucky crits but mathematically they do not really work out on par - this is true for every champ. However, there is always that chance of getting 2 crits in a row and decimating your opponent. So, do you like to try to roll that hard 6?

I personally run AD reds and quints on GP. The are worse in the early game than armor pen but are the best late game.

Lutzj

04-23-2012

Quote:
TwistWrist:
Plus, Trinity/Sheen procs cannot crit so I don't see any point in having crit early on.

lol wut

TwistWrist

04-23-2012

Quote:
oogabuga:

I personally run AD reds and quints on GP. The are worse in the early game than armor pen but are the best late game.

They are only the best late game assuming that you'll be getting a Last Whisper...which is rather situational on GP.

Quote:
Lutzj:
lol wut

They don't crit. I don't see what is hard to understand.

MeltedWater

04-23-2012

Quote:
TwistWrist:
Should be 25 armor pen if you go marks and Quints.

Not if you're level 20. Learn to read.

netkitten

04-23-2012

Quote:
R00ler:
TwistWrist is right, but just to elaborate, when you crit and proc with sheen at the same time you do: 200% additional damage, the sheen bonus does not get counted in the critical strike damage. If your normal damage is 100, then a crit + sheen would give you 300 damage; that's 100 base, 100 crit, and 100 sheen. If you had Infinity Edge and Trinity Force you would do 100 base damage + 150 critical strike damage + 150 sheen damage.

do not confuse people

sheen's passive gives you 100% of you base (not including bonus from items!) attack damage after using an ability (2 sec cooldown)
trinity's passive gives you 150% of you base attack damage after using an ability (2 sec cooldown)

it has nothing to do with infinity edge at all and your calculations for having trinity and infinity are wrong, crit would be stronger than trinity's proc and normal attack could be stronger than it too