Placement matches too stronk

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

An Troll

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-22-2012

So many of my games have been ruined because of either one player or a duo queue of players who have little idea of what they are doing. These players tend to not watch their minimaps, not help with teamfights, get caught by ganks that everyone else on the team saw coming and warned them about, and other such rookie mistakes.

After losing a game due to players like this, I always check their ranked stats - more often than not, those players will have a very small number of ranked games played, indicating that they are still in their "placement" matches.

The way "placement" matches work, if I understand correctly, is that players receive greatly inflated elo changes (both gains and losses) for their first ten matches. Once their first ten matches are finished, their elo changes go down, but are still higher than normal until they have completed fifty total ranked matches. This is intended to help players reach a rating that accurately reflects their skill level as quickly as possible.

The problem with this is that ANYONE can get lucky and win a few matches in a row. Luck, lag, disconnects, trolls, feeders, and such can change the outcome of ANY match, but the last two are especially common in the lower elo ranges were players start out.

This means that for every player who decides to start playing ranked, there's a reasonable chance that he/she will quickly reach above-average rating regardless of his/her own skill. People who belong at 800 elo can easily get matched into games in the 1300s, virtually guaranteeing a loss for their teammates. To make things worse, not only are these players unskilled, but they also tend to have very inflated opinions of themselves and are usually not receptive to feedback (they have an 80% win rate over their 5 games played, after all! they probably have no idea how the system works or that their 5 previous games were played against people of much lower rating than their current teammates/opponents).

Please do something about this. I am tired of losing elo in games that were over before they even started, because of these "provisional" players. One solution would be to reduce the elo gains and losses for "placement" matches. This might mean that very good players spend longer at lower ratings, but that is far less harmful than bad players spending time at higher ratings. I'd MUCH rather lose a game due to my opponents being far more skilled than me, than to lose a game due to one of my teammates being far less skilled. At least you LEARN from playing against more skilled opponents.

Another possible solution would be to set a threshold of games played, perhaps one or two hundred, after which a player would no longer be matched into a games with players who have not yet completed fifty matches (or at LEAST those who haven't completed ten).

Regardless of HOW you fix this problem, please fix it before season 3.

Yes, I DO realize that I've probably WON matches due to players like this being on the enemy team. I don't like this much better than I like losing due to them being on my team; I want to win or lose games based on my skill level, by being matched with teammates of similar skill, not based on which team's provisional players belong at 500 elo and which team's belong at 2000 elo.

NFG Crayon

04-25-2012

The inflated gains/losses from placement matches are, in my opinion, a very serious problem with the Elo system utilized by Riot. Not only does it cause many low-skill players to receive higher Elo than they warrant, but it can also cause many higher-skill players to dip far lower than they should, solely because those first matches mean so much more, but are susceptible to all the random variance (leavers, AFKers, feeders, disconnects) you get in other matches. Dealing with low-skill players with inflated Elo (and ego) is, honestly, only marginally annoying compared to having to carve your Elo up by 200 because you had extraordinarily bad luck with your teams in placement matches.

Jesodoth

04-25-2012

It would be great if the starting pool, for players, was calibrated separately. For example, people who aren't ranked yet, have their own pool, and when they've exited the initial ranking process, they will be tossed into the appropriate Elo bracket.

Placing everyone in the same initial Elo bracket causes chaos in the Elo system until people reach their appropriate Elo range, but because skill levels differ so greatly in this game, the Elo zone inwhich the chaos affects, is pretty wide. Having a separate initial pool could curb this, be ensuring everyone who is playing after a certain point is where they should be initially.

L Alex L

04-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOM Crayon View Post
The inflated gains/losses from placement matches are, in my opinion, a very serious problem with the Elo system utilized by Riot. Not only does it cause many low-skill players to receive higher Elo than they warrant, but it can also cause many higher-skill players to dip far lower than they should, solely because those first matches mean so much more, but are susceptible to all the random variance (leavers, AFKers, feeders, disconnects) you get in other matches. Dealing with low-skill players with inflated Elo (and ego) is, honestly, only marginally annoying compared to having to carve your Elo up by 200 because you had extraordinarily bad luck with your teams in placement matches.
I totally agree with you. Many of my friends that play very well are below 1200 elo just because the first 10 games account for your elo. I know people that are at 1500~ that get there just because they dont get a feeder / afkes/ troll in first 10 games which is a major problem too.

IMO i think that if a game has a leaver that did not get out of the base should have their loss forgiven and elo back

Yagghhh

05-11-2012

I had disconnects in about half my placement matches. Two of them were actually 4v5 wins. Bleak.