Why can't I abandon a game during Champion Select?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tyr Ahn Nee

04-20-2012

I am only trying to play a Co-Op vs AI, and I don't want to play in a game with a Jungler. So, whenever I see a Jungler in the champion line up, I leave the start-up screen, and I get a penalty that seems to increase in length each time. WHY???

Why can't I leave the Champion Select screen??? Why can't I leave a game if I don't want to play with a Jungler??? Why am I being prevented from playing because I don't want to play a Co-Op with a Jungler???

Dathadorne

04-20-2012

Are you serious? It's to discourage people like you. I hate having to pick a champ three or four times before the game starts because of people that are so **** inflexible that they will only play one position.

Just be aware that when you do this, you are wasting the time of 9 other people. Oh, and if you try to say you'd be wasting their time more by playing your second choice champ instead of your first...this is a straw man argument. We're all good at more than one role.

Tyr Ahn Nee

04-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dathadorne View Post
Are you serious? It's to discourage people like you. I hate having to pick a champ three or four times before the game starts because of people that are so **** inflexible that they will only play one position.

Just be aware that when you do this, you are wasting the time of 9 other people. Oh, and if you try to say you'd be wasting their time more by playing your second choice champ instead of your first...this is a straw man argument. We're all good at more than one role.
Well, I log in, start a game, and there's a Jungler there. Since I don't like to solo top, I select Maokai and go bot.
After that game is done, I join another game. There is a jungler, since I don't like to solo top, I select Maokai and go bot.
After that game is done, I join another game. There is a jungler.....

All I'm saying is, I'd like to play a lane other than bot.

If the answer you gave is the reason that Riot has the champion select process that it has, it reminds me of Hunters in WOW using Mana. It doesn't make sense. We should be able to leave the champion select process without penalty.

Dathadorne

04-20-2012

So every once in a while, you'll have to fight for yourself and say you'd rather take jungle. Either way, leaving the game and annoying 9 others outweighs your perils.

Tyr Ahn Nee

04-21-2012

Back when I played WOW, Hunters used Mana. Never made sense to me. What about firing a bow and arrow requires the same use of ‘mental energy’ as creating a massive fireball from nothing and hurling it dozens of yards with nothing??? However, if you went to the WOW forums and complained you would be viciously shouted down.

What I am trying to say, throughout all my many posts on this subject, and most of my posts are on this subject, is that the Champion Select process doesn’t make sense.

Sure, it seems to prevent one person/player from wasting other peoples time, but, it still doesn’t make sense.

The entire Champion select process needs to be re-designed. The process of starting a game should be similar to WOW’s LFG tool, (as it was back when I was playing WOW.)

There should be a constant pool of players lined up to play a game, they should select a map, a Champion, a role, and/or lane that they would like to play LONG before they are ever matched with other players. The System should then pick a player from the top of that pool, that fits in with an already forming group.

Say the group doesn’t have a Mage to play mid, the system would simply pick the next player from the pool that has selected , Summoner’s Rift, Mage, Ziggs, Mid, for his choices.

And, if someone wants to leave the line up because there is a jungler, he should be allowed to leave. Instead of discarding the entire group as it does now, (which clearly doesn’t make sense) the system would simple pick the next player in the pool that fit’s the group.

Hunters using Mana in WOW worked just fine, until the Hunter ran out of mana and couldn’t do anything. Then you were left to wonder: How does firing a bow and arrow cause mental exhaustion???

KOMagnet

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-21-2012

you don't want a jungler? Try go to lvl 30 and see .
i bet you gonna
leave
every
single
game.

Tyr Ahn Nee

04-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOMagnet View Post
you don't want a jungler? Try go to lvl 30 and see .
i bet you gonna
leave
every
single
game.
That's what I'm saying! Every single Co-Op game has a jungler. Which means someone has to 1v2 a lane. I don't want to be the one to have to 1v2 a lane. Which means I have to play bot, and since it is a Co-Op that means, against ranged.

Tyr Ahn Nee

04-22-2012

Another player, Zuldrak, just posted this in "Summoner' Rift', Revamping the Queue

Quote:
Personally, I have noticed a problem where if i get in a draft mode game and I want to play a role that i am most comfortable with or just want to play it is simply unacceptable if i am not in the first 1-3 picks. I'm sure someone has proposed this before, but I feel like this is worth posting. A good fix for this would to be able to queue for the role you want before the game starts. Such as queuing as: Solo Top, Jungler, Mid, Support, AD Carry. There is flaws with this method although, such as no one wanting to ever play support. A fix for this is to have another queue type called Anything, where you will take the role that isn't queued for in a game. I highly doubt this will ever happen, but thought it was worth posting anyways.

Thanks, Zuldrak
sounds like a very familiar idea.

He thinks the method is flawed, because he assumes no one would ever queue for support. However, if the method I suggested were used, players would have to select a role long before they were placed in a group. The chances of the System having a pool of players that queue for the Support role is very good. Also, the system could also be designed to fit out a team without support, or could choose players that have queue with characters close to, similar to support or some such.

NFG Crayon

04-22-2012

Okay dude.

This makes a modicum of sense from the co-op vs. AI stand point.

It makes no sense at all after you've played the game for longer than a month. Trying to do a system like that at level 30 or in ranked would be impossible. And it would be counterproductive. And it would break the entire concept of draft pick.

Frankly, you should be glad you have a jungler.

You don't want to 1v2 solo top? Go mid. Or learn to jungle. Or go bot. Or, every once in a while, you're just going to HAVE to go solo top. That's how it is. Learn to play every lane and role.

Don't knock it until you've played long enough to have experienced the REAL game. AI games are good for practice, for a couple of weeks, but they're NOT the real game.

Tyr Ahn Nee

05-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyr Ahn Nee View Post
The entire Champion select process needs to be re-designed. The process of starting a game should be similar to WOW’s LFG tool, (as it was back when I was playing WOW.)

There should be a constant pool of players lined up to play a game, they should select a map, a Champion, a role, and/or lane that they would like to play LONG before they are ever matched with other players. The System should then pick a player from the top of that pool, that fits in with an already forming group.

Say the group doesn’t have a Mage to play mid, the system would simply pick the next player from the pool that has selected , Summoner’s Rift, Mage, Ziggs, Mid, for his choices.

And, if someone wants to leave the line up because there is a jungler, he should be allowed to leave. Instead of discarding the entire group as it does now, (which clearly doesn’t make sense) the system would simple pick the next player in the pool that fit’s the group.
Since the idea presented here, seems to be popular, or rather, since it is the common-sense solution to a variety of game problems, allow me to explore it a bit more.

As far as Co-Op vs AI games go, under the proposed system, a Jungler would have to queue up as a Jungler, thus his choices would be; >>>Summoners Rift, Dr. Mundo, Jungle<<<
The game system would then have to match this player with other players whose choices coincide.
Thus, in order for the Jungler to get into a game, some other player would have to queue up for Solo Top or Solo Bot. Thus, the choices: >>>Summoners Rift, Riven, Solo-Top.<<<

This would be a boon for players (er...make that for Anti-Jungle players), because Queue times for Junglers would be exorbitantly long! The outcry from Junglers who can't get into a game under the proposed system would in turn prove that NO ONE wants to play Solo-Top against 2 AI Champs!

Role Choices
1) Mid
2) Top
3) Bot
4) Jungle
5) Solo Top
6) Solo Bot