How to play Shen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TomMars

04-20-2012

I am currently having an argument with a friend of mine on how Shen is played, he claims these things:
-Shen is a mage "All of his abilities benefit from AP therefore he is a mage"
-He should always throw his vorpal blade at creeps because it's not going to kill the champion anyway and it heals him more. "It does almost no damage to them anyway so what's the point?"

I actually don't play Shen at all so I got a friend of mine who is on a pro team to tell me how stupid he was being he will not listen to his argument whatsoever though saying things like "He obviously doesn't know how to play Shen" "He doesn't know what he's talking about" when I told him to 1v1 him he said no it wouldn't be fair or prove anything since he is more skilled than me. Than I said there is a reason he is more skilled. I would like you to discuss how retarded (Or smart if it turns out we're wrong) he is being.

Only Tristana

04-20-2012

Shen can be played AP, but there's really no point anymore because his early- and mid-game damaged is stellar even if you build tank now. His core nowadays is randuin's/wit's end, then whatever you need based on the match you're in.

Mattsal

04-20-2012

I'd rather build him as pure tank. Or if I'm doing too well, tanky dps (mallet, wit's end, atmas, etc), ap is good if you want to make the enemy mad with 1k hp shield.

Proto Waffles

04-20-2012

shen does benefit from ap, but he is off tank / tank depending on how you build and play him. vorpal blade is free poke, but also great for last hitting. although your friend isnt entirely wrong, he is seeing things too narrowly, there is no champ in this game that can only be played 1 single way, there are always alternatives

dontouchmethere

04-20-2012

The only AP item I would build on him is rylai's. Vorpal Blade can be used on minions for more sustain in lane, but can very well be used for lane harassment.

VinTheRockDiesel

04-20-2012

All of his abilities scale with AP =/= having 4 damage abilities. Shen has a very weak AOE (which is also a taunt, good luck not being a tank) and a single-target. If you build AP, you do no damage. If you build HP, your Ki Strike does tons of damage.

kazetenshu

04-20-2012

Your friend is an idiot lol. Shen isn't a mage, he lacks heavy AOE and burst to even be considered a mage. How abilities scale is irrelevant to what role a champ is. Also, any damage on a target means you are closing to killing it. Vorpal's heal is also unaffected by its target, seeing as it's healing is based off of shen's max hp.

Shen is an aggressive tank and babysitter, and should be played as such, however, AP items are good on him. Good utility AP items for him would be abyssal scepter, rylais, and sheen. These items would both give him some POW as well as offering survivability.