Solo Queue Mid Tier List

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

God Karthus NA

04-19-2012

I MADE THIS ABOUT HALF A DAY BEFORE ELEMENTZ POSTED HIS. KEEP THIS IN MIND

I'm bored, so feel free to troll/downvote. I'm 1723 Elo and I mainly play mid and support (well, actually, the majority of my games are Karthus and I suck at lots of champions...)

REMEMBER, this is for SOLO QUEUE, not premade 5v5. In a premade environment, Kog would be higher, Kat would be obsolete, Swain would be lower, etc.

Factors to consider when making this tier list:
1) How well the mid champion does against other typically mid champions
2) How well does the champion fit into team comps
3) Influence on the game during laning (roaming, etc.) and teamfighting
4) Popularity in my Elo and in Platinum Elo
5) Who it counters and whom it gets countered by
6) How well it does in a solo queue environment
7) If it's an unconventional mid, how much it impacts team and lane dynamics

EDIT1: Due to popular demand Xerath moved up
EDIT2: Added Mordekaiser. Hue
EDIT3: Moved down Vladimir since he's stronger top than mid
EDIT4: EDIT1 cancelled. Stupid peer pressure
EDIT5: Can't decide on LeBlanc, so moving her up. Added Gragas

Tier 1 (top picks): Cassiopeia, Morgana, Ryze, Ahri, Karthus, Kennen
Tier 2 (viable, good picks): Twisted Fate, Anivia, Vladimir, Lulu, Galio, Veigar, Kassadin, Mordekaiser, Annie, Ziggs, LeBlanc, Swain
Tier 3 (situational picks): Talon, Kog Maw, Gragas, Xerath, Malzahar, Brand, Viktor, Soraka, Sion, Orianna, Fizz, Katarina, Zilean
Tier 4 (very situational picks): Heimerdinger, Fiddlesticks, Nidalee, Lux

Selected explanation:

Tier 1 champions: Most of them are not burst mages. Burst mages are not nearly as popular as before and the top picks, as seen in high Elo and tournaments, are those who can do lots of DPS (Cass, Ryze, Karth, etc.).

Cassiopeia - She just dominates lane so hard it's unbelievable. There's currently not a single mage who can win mid against her, assuming equal skill and equal jungle interference. Her teamfighting and late game aren't the best, but they're still very strong; it all depends on how well you land ult. If you can land her ults well, she will devastate the enemy team throughout the game.

Ryze - His pre-9 laning is quite weak and relies on his ult+blue buff+Tear to push and fast clear minion waves. If you do find the opportunity to roam, however, he has scary ganks and he scales EXTREMELY well into late game. His Frozen Heart aura and AOE ult are very useful in teamfights.

Karthus - Weak laning against many matchups, but possibly the scariest mage late game. You do not want the game to go past 30 minutes if there's an enemy Karthus. Can get easy kills and assists with ult during laning. Also, wall OP.

Vladimir: I feel that he's better top in double AP comps since he can handle top champions due to his [somewhat] tankiness and sustain. He can still mid and does it well.

Veigar - A good counterpick to many mages, especially those who has nearly as weak early game as you do (except Ryze). Scales really hard and can instakill any target late game, but can be bullied very easily in lane.

Annie - The epitome of the burst mage, but burst mages have fallen out of flavor recently. She's still a good counterpick so several champions such as Ahri.

Talon - Good counterpick to most mages, but risk having a weird laning/role strategy for the team. Usability depends on both team compositions.

Kog Maw - Good in mostly poke comps, mediocre otherwise. Very high skill cap.

Soraka - Hard life outside of laning phase. She can be countered, just very annoying against certain mid champions. In the right situations, however, she'd wreck.

Sion - He's really strong in the lower Elos, but the higher you go the worse he seems. He completely relies on getting early kills and snowball your team. Late game he's very bad - a LeBlanc without escape. You might as well as play LeBlanc for her mobility.

Fizz: Good counterpick to high sustain champions, such as Vlad and Swain.

Katarina - A powerful choice against teams that lack CC, but quite risky otherwise. Also, she has a very high skill cap to be used effectively, especially in team fights. You need to learn how to dodge skillshots with her to survive her weak pre-6 game.

Fiddlesticks - Good counter to Vlad's trollpool, otherwise can be bullied in lane.

Heimerdinger and Nidalee - AP Nidalee mid as SOME uses. She can push and sustain well, just like Heimer. Outside of laning, however, both of them are just poke/bait/juke bots. They can function in very specific comps.

Lux - Sorry Elementz, I just don't see how she isn't outclassed by just about any long ranged mage.

Zeusified

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-19-2012

Where is Maokai? He is godlike mid.

StopTryingKid

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-19-2012

Where's Eve?

PorpoiseAlert

04-19-2012

You don't have a badge, therefore nobody will believe you, and this thread will be locked in an hour.

PorpoiseAlert

04-19-2012

That said, I agree with your picks overall.

Edit: I would move Vlad down to tier 2, TF to T3, Xerath up to T2, Fizz up to T2, and Lux up to T2.

God Karthus NA

04-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeusified View Post
Where is Maokai? He is godlike mid.
Haven't seen mid Maokai to judge, sorry.

God Karthus NA

04-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorpoiseAlert View Post
You don't have a badge, therefore nobody will believe you, and this thread will be locked in an hour.
1) this thread will probably not be locked.
2) it's nice to know you're not intelligent enough to check my profile on this website, on the client, or on lolking.net.

PorpoiseAlert

04-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernkastar View Post
1) this thread will probably not be locked.
2) it's nice to know you're not intelligent enough to check my profile on this website, on the client, or on lolking.net.
I was not making a comment on your ability or even your claim to high elo. I am making a comment on the general outlook on the forums of people who post tier lists who are not Elementz or Stonewall008. I even upvoted you.

7th Letter

04-19-2012

xerath is prolly tier 2: good harrass and at lvl 6 can usually burst opponent down fast.

But can't carry as hard as tier one mids.

Also morde should be up there probably high tier 2: just farm up early game and dominate mid/late game.

God Karthus NA

04-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Letter View Post
xerath is prolly tier 2: good harrass and at lvl 6 can usually burst opponent down fast.

But can't carry as hard as tier one mids.
He has the potential to dominate mid, but I feel like he's lacking a lot of pushing power and damage, (his Q does less than Karthus' Q on single targets), and he's highly unpopular right now. I also feel he's reliant on his ult to do anything useful.

I could be wrong. Need to see more Xerath to judge.