Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[GUIDE] AP Karthus

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Machinas

05-14-2010

Quote:
Cold Fusion:
Hehe if you guys notice I wrote this October 24, way back in beta, ALOT of things have changed since then.

Then a quick update to include Mejai's and void staff couldn't hurt :P IMO, they're two of the most important items on Karthus. You're guaranteed Mejai's stacks with your sky lazors, and Void staff pretty much totally outshines Abyssal when it comes to pure damage output, especially since it works on far away nuking.

The Green Giant

05-15-2010

Your build has tear of the godess and is thus a noobthus build.

PKarebear

06-08-2010

why is the tear of the goddess a noobthus build? i usually get an archangel's staff, in fact if im not worried about being squishy and the game is going longer than 40 mins i pick up 2 of them.

i dont see why archangel's is a noob build... its the best way to get AP besides zhonya's. in fact I had a game where the enemy was turtling hard and my team was mostly just having fun with them so i sold everything but zhonya's and got 5 archangels just for the lols. i mean karthus with over 1000 AP is pretty hilarious. taking everyone down by 1500 all at once is epic, and then i just waddle in with a wall and defile.

usually i build RoA, sorc boots, Archangels, void, zhonya's, then frozen heart or another archangel

i dunno if thats a noob build... im over a 2:1 win loss with karthus.

I also dont often buy mejai's, but at the same time i dont think ive had a single game with a negative K/D. the reason is that i play a suicidal karthus and make liberal use of my passive. but still i usually end with at least a 5:1 KD.

also i think karthus does a great job pissing off the enemy team, but when i dont buy mejais people aren't as bloodthirsty for me.
its like when someone sees me with mejai's they are like ooooh no wonder hes killing us! lets shut that mother ****er down!

also then i dont feel bad about team fights in the jungle where i throw my wall and flash in with defile, ive gotten more than a few quadra kills while dead with karthus because you cant stop me from doing damage when im dead.

anyway i hope im not a noob :/

Empyron

06-08-2010

Quote:
PKarebear:
why is the tear of the goddess a noobthus build? i usually get an archangel's staff, in fact if im not worried about being squishy and the game is going longer than 40 mins i pick up 2 of them.

i dont see why archangel's is a noob build... its the best way to get AP besides zhonya's. in fact I had a game where the enemy was turtling hard and my team was mostly just having fun with them so i sold everything but zhonya's and got 5 archangels just for the lols. i mean karthus with over 1000 AP is pretty hilarious. taking everyone down by 1500 all at once is epic, and then i just waddle in with a wall and defile.

usually i build RoA, sorc boots, Archangels, void, zhonya's, then frozen heart or another archangel

i dunno if thats a noob build... im over a 2:1 win loss with karthus.

I also dont often buy mejai's, but at the same time i dont think ive had a single game with a negative K/D. the reason is that i play a suicidal karthus and make liberal use of my passive. but still i usually end with at least a 5:1 KD.

also i think karthus does a great job pissing off the enemy team, but when i dont buy mejais people aren't as bloodthirsty for me.
its like when someone sees me with mejai's they are like ooooh no wonder hes killing us! lets shut that mother ****er down!

also then i dont feel bad about team fights in the jungle where i throw my wall and flash in with defile, ive gotten more than a few quadra kills while dead with karthus because you cant stop me from doing damage when im dead.

anyway i hope im not a noob :/

I've decided that I actually prefer the tear set up on Karthus since my last post. He's my most played champion. I vary between starting with Doran's ring and sapphire crystal + pots. Usually I farm until I can get amplifying tome, tear of the goddess and boots 1.
Next thing you have to decide is if you think you're going to be getting kills/assists and not getting owned. If so, get Mejai's. If not, build towards Rylai's getting sorc boots as needed. I was anti Rylai's until a Karthus with it owned my face... it sucks to not be able to run away from either rylai's slow or wall of pain. Yuck. Next you want to finish your archangel's staff as the mana regen from that will feed your defile like mad. I've never really gotten farther than this often but next you want Zhonya's Ring, finally I'd end with Will of the Ancients now as the spell vamp is nice + you get a nice +70 ap boost from it. +40 for the item and +30 for the aura. Can't complain about that.

I play teleport/flash all the time on Karthus. Flash has saved my life from ganks more times than I can count and it's also helped me run down runners as well when they think they can get away.

Å hingetsu

02-20-2011

Nice guide, I usually just get sorc shoes, archa staff, rabadon cap, 3 more archa staffs, sell boots, another archa staff. In the end you are kindmof slow. But your ult 1 shots squishs, as well as teleport helps move around. Example of wat the 1400 AP I get with this build let me do.
Singed runs at me. Uses all his skills, dies. I walk away with half hp. Lay waste + wall of pain ftw!

FABIOForever

02-20-2011

Normally abyssal scepter is one of my favorite items, but on Karthus it's not that great. It's an aura debuff so the penetration doesn't help your ult at all. For that you're going to have to rely on sorc shoes. If you really need another 20 penetration then you're better off going for a haunting guise than abyssal.

Archangel staff is one of those things that sounds better in theory than in practice. For all the gold you put into rushing tear then the staff, you could have over 100 AP from different items. It only starts gaining strength if you're getting a bunch of mana items or stacking the staffs. 95% of games don't last that long and you shouldn't need that much mana unless you're overusing defile.

Just go pure AP. Rush the deathcap then pour on the large rods and wands with a possible soulstealer. You'll be squishy as hell but you should be hanging back with lay waste. People think Karthus is weak because they think they can rush in with defile then wonder why they died. With pure AP stacking it's a realistic goal to be doing 1000 damage with your ult; it doesn't require hour long games with 5 archangel staffs.

Cannot Load Name

02-21-2011

who will protect you when they can tower dive like nothing (usually around lvl 6)

Hedgemonster

02-23-2011

If all you're doing is hanging back and using lay waste and ulting, you're vastly underusing Karthus. Defile is a phenomenal move, and Karthus' passive is arguably the most useful in the game. Karthus is at his most useful when he can come in 2nd or 3rd to a teamfight, plant in the middle with defile on, and either get focused, die, keep doing damage, and then ult, or get ignored and f people's days up with WoP, defile, and lay waste.

Spotty

05-26-2014

This is a really good guide thanks it helped me a lot

Buboniic

Recruiter

05-26-2014

Holy mother of gravedig.