Garen vs Renekton - Renekton starts Cloth Armor 5 Health Pots

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RealMithron

04-19-2012

Like any melee top lane should do against Garen. Both highly skilled, both evenly skilled, no ganks from jungler but play in fear of them. What should Garen start with, and build, and do against Renekton to win his lane? 21-9-0 masteries, armor pen reds/quints, flat armor yellows, flat magic resist blues.

Renekton isn't as horrible for Garen in top as say Vlad is, but he's just hard enough for me that I feel like I -can- deal with him and still win, but I usually don't because I feel like Renketon has the advantage. I usually either end up only barely winning the lane, or being tied with him, and then Renekton is better late game than Garen nonetheless.

For those building armor, is it really worth it to build an early Last Whisper? I've never tried building an early one, but should I on Garen against heavy early-mid armor teams?

ValderiusRex

04-19-2012

As Garen, if you land your silence you have a huge advantage for a few seconds. Use it. Judgment makes your sustained DPS better than Renekton's by a significant margin.

What a good Renekton player is going to do is keep slicing at you with his Q/W then jumping away when you try to rush in with your silence. Once you've missed that and it's on cooldown, he can stun/burst you very hard and there isn't much you can do about it.

Overall it's one of the most even top lane matchups I've ever played. The better player will win every time in that one with no outside interference. Surest way for you to win that match up is to chip Renekton down a bit, wait for a gank, then execute him with you ult. Keep in mind that you're going to have to get him VERY low before you use Demacian Justice because his ult gives a big burst of health, often enough to survive the kill attempt and get away from a gank. On the flip side, if Renekton suddenly becomes very aggressive (jumping in with his stun ready and 50+ fury) get ready to run. He can set up ganks extremely well that pretty much ensure you burn summoners or die.

RealMithron

04-19-2012

How can you "land your silence and have a huge advantage" when he can stun you the exact same time you silence? It's not hard to press W (Or whatever his stun button is) right before Garen silences you at ANY time. So, sure, you have him silenced, but he has you stunned during most of it. Then you press E and you either push your lane because your E is also hitting minions, or Renekton can chase you down further because he has the better mobility.

I don't think it's very even. It's definitely in Renekton's favor. I've always had trouble against proper Renektons.

ˆ ˆ

04-19-2012

Both equal skill you should never beat a rene in lane.

ValderiusRex

04-19-2012

One last thing, I start with a Doran shield against Garen rather than cloth/5. Garen always has the option to stalemate the lane by hiding in a bush and using his passive to recover health. The extra HP/regen on the shield means I can stay in lane more easily without being denied my major source of health sustain (enraged Q on my opponent's face).

ValderiusRex

04-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealMithron View Post
How can you "land your silence and have a huge advantage" when he can stun you the exact same time you silence? It's not hard to press W (Or whatever his stun button is) right before Garen silences you at ANY time. So, sure, you have him silenced, but he has you stunned during most of it. Then you press E and you either push your lane because your E is also hitting minions, or Renekton can chase you down further because he has the better mobility.

I don't think it's very even. It's definitely in Renekton's favor. I've always had trouble against proper Renektons.
2.5 second silence versus .75 second (1.5 at most) second stun. Garen has a ton of time to pop judgment and do tons of damage.

RealMithron

04-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValderiusRex View Post
2.5 second silence versus .75 second (1.5 at most) second stun. Garen has a ton of time to pop judgment and do tons of damage.
But his Judgement doesn't do tons of damage to anyone with a Cloth Armor.