Hecarim - Creative Design Ask Me Anything

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tjihyana

04-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokeprof View Post
Also, I know this has not as much to do with Hecarim, but since when was Mordekasier from the Shadow Isles? Last I checked, he was usually slumming around in Noxius.
Mordekaiser originally comes from Shadow Isles, but he spends his free time in the slums of Noxus since well... would you want to commute from Shadow Isles to the Institute and back? ;D

BelligerentGnu

04-19-2012

As long as you're answering lore-related things: Why hasn't there been anything like The Ionia vs. Noxus match?

Personally, I loved the concept of the players affecting canon lore - and given that the whole premise of the game is that you're fighting to determine the fate of nations, it seems like such a perfect way to develop the game story.

BlackFlameOmega

04-19-2012

Is League of Legends: Supremacy the new big lore thing that's been alluded to?

Ms Annie Hastur

04-19-2012

I'd enjoy knowing more about Eve and Mordekaiser, more so Eve because you said that she's "different" somehow. But since we have a Hecarim thread, I'll ask something Heccy related. Are Hecarim's cavalry men similar to a champion enslaved by morde's ult?

And what does Riot think about the ask threads, if I may.

Blind Trooper

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-19-2012

Was it on purpose that his abilities are pretty much a direct rip from WoW Death Knights? Or was that a convenient accident?

Skyhawke

04-19-2012

Thanks for doing this Harrow! Seems like a great idea to me.

Who would Hecarim view as his greatest enemy or rival in the League?

Also, how did you guys decide on his name? I think "heka" is the egyptian word for magic..

Mordenn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-19-2012

It sounds like you guys are moving towards a very interesting storyline with the Shadow Isles, as Hecarim's stated purpose and presence seem to indicate a great deal more organization and activity in the Shadow Isles than initially implied. Where should we look for continuations of this plot going forward? Are we ever going to get more fleshed out images of places like the Shadow Isles and Icathia or are they going to remain shrouded in mystery?

Also, specifically for Hecarim, I like how many details of his background and concept are reflected in his abilities. Is there any sort of moves you'd wished he had that just couldn't be done because of balance issues or because they didn't fit the kit, but would have fit in well with his general theme?

Hideous Z

04-19-2012

Don't have a specific Hecarim question, but I love that you're doing this thread. The lore drought has left me parched! Looking forward to whatever your future plans are with all that.

Question: Is the creative department hiring at all? I love everything about the job, at least according to the description on the 'jobs' site...

LimitlessChaos

04-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
Yeah, this would be a pretty terrible strategy if the goal of the Shadow Isles was just to invade and conquer Valoran. Maybe that's not their plan, though.

I can't really answer the rest of your post, I'm afraid. I know that the community doesn't get much insight into a champion just from the short background story and the VO lines in-game, but trust me when I tell you that we put a lot of work into developing these characters - their motivations, their histories, their place in the world, their interactions with other characters and so on. We can't wait to deliver more story content to you all in appropriate, effective formats in the future.

The Shadow Isles is not a hive mind, there are definitely different opinions on their own form of existence. I think Hecarim's revelry in undeath is probably the most prevalent attitude, if only because the loudest voices are generally the most heard.
I appreciate your taking the time to answer these sorts of questions; however, I feel like you're jumping the gun on a potentially interesting plot development when you flat out dismiss the idea that Hecarim is in fact, a harbinger of a terrible army to visit Valoran from the Shadow Isles.

It's not entirely unheard of for anyone whose ever read a fantasy novel or enjoyed some kind of story for a villain to be so mighty (sometimes in truth, sometimes only in his or her head) that flat-out announcing yourself is just a way to show everyone you mean business (a certain "binder-via-jewelry" comes to mind...what with his nine boogey men and impossible-to-miss-giant-burning-eye gimmick) when you're a big enough bad-arse to back it up.

I feel like nowadays no one really writes a villain who is legitimately strong enough to conquer and at some point even succeeds...only to be thrown down at the most devastating of costs to his enemies (if you've never read ANY of Glen Cook's Black Company books, I strongly, strongly encourage you to at least read the first one)

Hell, I almost think Mordekaiser was originally meant to herald a plot-move similar to this but it was just too hard to develop since the very premise of League of Legends runs directly counter to open warfare of any kind and the only way I could think of to do it would be a slew of his "generals" as a champion series...which would either A: Come out all in sequence and bore people to death since it's inevitable a majority of the playerbase would be ok with champions with similar themes being released back-to-back for a long time; or B: They release his "Generals" as a series of champions that comes out every two champions, meaning the plot is essentially dragged-out for half a year and becomes kind of dull.

So I don't at all think the Shadow Isles plot being that of an invasion and Hecarim is merely its harbinger or spokestaur is a bad thing. Hell, he says himself "DEATH CANNOT STOP ME" or something like that.

Anyway, as the others have said, thanks a lot for being open about this; I don't think we get enough input from the creative folks...Raven and Runaan (I can NEVER spell her user name right..I just know her name from Twitter) are decidedly brief most of the time and usually don't comment on specific champion backgrounds (even for those that've been around a bit..like no one ever explained the ninja changes to Shyvana's lore)

Harrow

Writer

04-19-2012
6 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhawk47 View Post
Who would Hecarim view as his greatest enemy or rival in the League?
I don't think he'll have one until someone steps up to challenge the Shadow Isles directly. Hecarim's arrival is the first time that the Isles have seemed like more than some distant, vague threat, so the champions are still not sure what to make of him. It remains to be seen how the rest of Valoran reacts to his ominous presence.