Hecarim - Creative Design Ask Me Anything

First Riot Post
12345678 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xSchmitty

04-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrow View Post
Yeah, this would be a pretty terrible strategy if the goal of the Shadow Isles was just to invade and conquer Valoran. Maybe that's not their plan, though.

I can't really answer the rest of your post, I'm afraid. I know that the community doesn't get much insight into a champion just from the short background story and the VO lines in-game, but trust me when I tell you that we put a lot of work into developing these characters - their motivations, their histories, their place in the world, their interactions with other characters and so on. We can't wait to deliver more story content to you all in appropriate, effective formats in the future.
New to the lore forum, so forgive me if this has been covered before. But if all that works goes into a champion I'm curious why the "Judgements" that used to be posted for each champion stopped. I personally enjoyed reading through those and it provided a much better understanding of a champions background, history, and their motivations that the tiny 2 paragraph "Lore" section at the bottom of the reveal posts.

keyseeker

04-19-2012

this is more of a design question in general;

I'm wondering, do you as a creative designer have a library of tropes and character types to draw from when writing lore of a new champ?

how important does making each champ feel lore wise important to you?

and what tools do you have as a writer to help facilitate that?

thanks in advance!

Stexe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

04-19-2012

Nice idea; I really miss a lot of the open transparency and Q&A stuff. I know why it has dropped off (creating expectations that cause anger when not met and the increased size of Riot making people more specialized in their role), but it is great to see things like this.

I'm curious to know what you contributed / worked on in the development of Hecarim.

Also, any information you can give about the Shadow Isles (government structure, economy, lifestyle, etc) would be great!

Harrow

Associate Creative Designer

04-19-2012
5 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlexAlderwood View Post
Which came first? Hecarim's visual design, or his game design as a movement-speed based champion? Did you draw up a cool looking character and then decide "ok, horses are fast, let's make him work with move speed" or was it "we need a movespeed based character. He should be a horse."
The two ideas kind of developed together - we wanted a character who played like a cavalryman and that implies mobility. The specific Movespeed > AD passive wasn't a part of him originally, a few other passives were tried before this iteration stuck.

Off to lunch, I'll answer more in a while!

ThorRush

04-19-2012

Unlike Eve, Morde, and Yorick, Hecarim doesn't seem to be flesh and blood - he actually looks a bit like Xerath. (insert GD particle complaints) Are their forms related at all? Or is it just a coincidence of undead spirits and ascended beings? I remember Morde was supposed to be mysterious under his metal armor, but then Pentakill happened.

Happy to see lore questions answered! Thanks Harrow!

jj778899

04-19-2012

Will there be another champ from the Shadow Isles coming soon? A full team of Shadow Isle champs would be awesome.

bahamutkaiser

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-19-2012

Woot for Mordekaiser and Hecarim were former war buddies, I'm sure Yorick keeps a plot for both of their former bodies, hopefully they expose Evelynn as a vampire/dhampir in the future, along with a true vampire later.

Werewolf Link

Recruiter

04-19-2012

Quote:
While Hecarim's origin and intent were still a mystery, his destination became clear when he reached the Institute of War and, in a voice both ominous and commanding, demanded entry into the League of Legends.
Why was induction processing so long?

Also, who is his Voice Actor?

Birdy51

04-19-2012

Relating to Hecarim, how does Yorick respond?

Undoubtably having another being on the Fields of Justice that has such a strong tie to the is a bit Shadow Isles is a bit unnerving. Or, does he relish in the chance of having an ally?

Pokeprof

04-19-2012

Mmmm, I think that perhaps the reason that Hecarim is in the League is perhaps the same as Ahri? With her getting essences from the League's battles, she's not having to kill men anymore. Perhaps Hecarim just sees the League as one constant buffet?

Or he could just be like shaco, who lives for the enjoyment of inflicting pain? With other champions that are out and out caged by the League, and champion like Shaco, I wouldn't be surprised if Hecarim just thought as a way to constantly sate his blood lust.

Also, I know this has not as much to do with Hecarim, but since when was Mordekasier from the Shadow Isles? Last I checked, he was usually slumming around in Noxius.

12345678 ... 12