Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Hecarim - Creative Design Ask Me Anything

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HateYerGuts

04-19-2012

Quote:
Sypher76:
Is Hecarim from the Shadow Isles?

Duh.

Larcent

04-19-2012

Yorick's lore suggests the idea that while the "culture" of the Shadow Isles is extremely alien to the rest of Valoran, it doesn't necessarily have to be hostile.

How much "diversity" of personality exists on the Isles? Are their wildly different ideas about how the undead should relate to the living? Is Hecarim's attitude prevalent?

LucasI

04-19-2012

Quote:
Harrow:
we've been working behind the scenes to develop the idea of undeath in Valoran and we wanted Hecarim to be representative of the tone of the Shadow Isles.

If that's the case, can you provide any insight into the relationship between Noxian Necromany, what we've seen with Yorick and now Hecarim, and Karthus? Are we dealing with different kinds of undead, the same sort of undead reanimated in different ways, or something else entirely?

Hidari Shotaro

04-19-2012

did his race have anything to do with the first rune war?

Sylph

Recruiter

04-19-2012

Quote:
Harrow:
Greetings, denizens of the Lore Forum!

Now that Hecarim's out in the wild and you've had a chance to see him and learn a little about him, I'd like to invite you all to share your thoughts on this new champion. I can also shed a little more light on him, so feel free to ask me questions about his story and motivation - I can't promise I'll answer everything, since he is a mysterious figure, but I'd like to at least give you all more to think about and discuss.

This is something new we'd like to do with champion releases to connect with the community and drive discussion, so you can expect to see similar threads by the other creative designers as more champions join the League.

Have at it!

Very cool, thanks for doing this for our community members. I'm sure they will really appreciate the Q/A session.

I will collect the information and list the highlights in our sticky thread

-Sylph
Runeterra Chronicler

Vuther

04-19-2012

Yaaaaay Rioter here.

... I'm sorry, I got nothing right now. I'm happy regardless.

Harrow

Writer

04-19-2012

Quote:
Imclueless:
It seems as though Hecarim's entry into the League could serve as a detriment of sorts to their goals. I mean, there's allusions to the Shadow Isles launching some attack, and Hecarim as an omen of things to come. However, by showing up and saying "I'm scary, you're all gonna die", he's giving the Institute of War a signal that they should prepare for whatever is coming. Am I totally off-base in this?

Yeah, this would be a pretty terrible strategy if the goal of the Shadow Isles was just to invade and conquer Valoran. Maybe that's not their plan, though.

I can't really answer the rest of your post, I'm afraid. I know that the community doesn't get much insight into a champion just from the short background story and the VO lines in-game, but trust me when I tell you that we put a lot of work into developing these characters - their motivations, their histories, their place in the world, their interactions with other characters and so on. We can't wait to deliver more story content to you all in appropriate, effective formats in the future.

Quote:
Larcent:
Yorick's lore suggests the idea that while the "culture" of the Shadow Isles is extremely alien to the rest of Valoran, it doesn't necessarily have to be hostile.

How much "diversity" of personality exists on the Isles? Are their wildly different ideas about how the undead should relate to the living? Is Hecarim's attitude prevalent?

The Shadow Isles is not a hive mind, there are definitely different opinions on their own form of existence. I think Hecarim's revelry in undeath is probably the most prevalent attitude, if only because the loudest voices are generally the most heard.

Ask Talon

04-19-2012

Here in the lore forums we pick apart every thread of lore a champion has.

And when we run out, we make some up.

<.<

I think I speak for everyone that is a regular on the lore forums when I say

"Thank you for all the work you all have put into these champions and bringing them to life."

IlexAlderwood

04-19-2012

Yeah, in absence of actual lore, the lore forums have become more of a LoL roleplaying zone if anything!

Which came first? Hecarim's visual design, or his game design as a movement-speed based champion? Did you draw up a cool looking character and then decide "ok, horses are fast, let's make him work with move speed" or was it "we need a movespeed based character. He should be a horse."

BelligerentGnu

04-19-2012

Was there any particular reason he has a halberd, beyond 'weapon we haven't used yet"?

Which Reds were responsible for his art/animations/voicework?

Why don't you credit voice actors publicly? :P There are a couple who I'm *certain* I've heard somewhere, but I can't look them up.