Hecarim - Creative Design Ask Me Anything

First Riot Post
123456 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GhostStalker

04-19-2012

Why is there no "clip clop"?

jovibotrel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-19-2012

VARUs WHERE ???

1Eredale

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-19-2012

His ultimate is slightly more obscure than I had expected - the ghost riders are barely seen (pun unintentional). How about making them stand out more?

Zanes Zalesh

04-19-2012

Can we presume the little bits of lore you're not going to share so easily may tie his very existence as the war horseman he is to the very desolation of the Shadow Isles?

Harrow

Writer

04-19-2012
2 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery Snake1 View Post
Why does he wants to join the League?

Does he want to represent Shadow Isle?

What are his relations with other champions?
Part of his reason for joining the League is to represent the terror of the Shadow Isles - he's not making much of an effort to hide the fact that he's from there, though I'll leave you to speculate what he could gain from that. He's also interesting in evaluating, first-hand, the strongest warriors from the rest of Valoran. Finally, he just thrives on battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskPantheon View Post
Is he an undead centaur or something of the sort?
He is definitely not alive. It has been a very, very long time since he was actually alive, but his form suggests that there may have been a race of centaur-like beings in the past. He hasn't retained any memories from his life and he doesn't particularly care about what he used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask Talon View Post
What is his Breakfast of Champions?

((You'll be seeing this alot with new champions....))

But really, I was impressed when seeing him in combat. His animations are amazingly done.

Question: Does he have any sort of relation to Eve or Mord, besides coming from the Shadow Isles?
Pony-O's. If he's been a good Hecarim, I sometimes give him a carrot or an apple. OF TERROR.

But really, he doesn't need to eat actual food, being dead and all. As his Spirit of Dread ability suggests, he does gain strength from draining soul energy from the living.

I'll pass your thoughts to the animation team, I think they did a great job too.

He and Mordekaiser do know each other. They have similar beliefs but I think they would disagree about the methods each uses to achieve their goals. Evelynn is...different, though.

Khourey

04-19-2012

Why is Hecarim even on the main continent. His lore is vague on purpose, but from his lore we can grasp a few things:

He's a ghost rider of sorts

He's got some affiliation with the Shadow Isles.

He has something to do for the institute of war/league.

I understand in writing sometimes its easy to allow rumors to swell up and allow the reader to decide the truth but with how non-exsistant the lore department is a bunch of the most recent characters have little to no depth to them. Sure many of the previous champions didn't have or need much depth it just seems X champion was released because they are a ghost centaur with a lance who wants to kill people... or champion was released because they are a bear with armor who maws people to death with lightning.

When I started playing this game I read the lore and got really attatched to several characters, most notably the plight of the Ionians (since the was was going on). That was a huge deal for me, felt like there was sides and this world was real. Lately it feels like flying spaghetti monster with qwer skills has entered the league to eat people seems appropriate. I understand Riot is a business, first and for-most but without lore league has been in a severe decline.

Ask Talon

04-19-2012

Quote:
He and Mordekaiser do know each other.
As I expected.

We're boned.

MoOn KniFe

04-19-2012

What creatures live in Shadow Isles?We already have Eve,Morde,Hec,whats their relation?
Is there any possibility we can see some new humanoid race(not a single champion) besides human and yordle from SI?

Harrow

Writer

04-19-2012
3 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeBaye View Post
has anyone ever rode him?
No one that has lived to talk about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher76 View Post
Is Hecarim from the Shadow Isles?

Can you talk about his development - i.e., where the initial concept came from, how it evolved, etc?

Was he always a centaur, or did he change to become one?

Also: If you want this to be visible, it really should be in General Discussion
The concept existed before I started working here - I'll ask around for more details, but I believe he started out as the ghost of a dead knight who could summon his spectral horse. By the time he was approved for production and I started working on him, he had become an undead centaur-like being and all the concept art reflected that.

We migrated him to the Shadow Isles fairly early in development - we've been working behind the scenes to develop the idea of undeath in Valoran and we wanted Hecarim to be representative of the tone of the Shadow Isles.

We'd like to keep these threads to the Lore Forums, partially to make sure the focus stays on the character rather than the gameplay and partially to encourage people to use this forum.

Dr Clueless PhD

04-19-2012

It seems as though Hecarim's entry into the League could serve as a detriment of sorts to their goals. I mean, there's allusions to the Shadow Isles launching some attack, and Hecarim as an omen of things to come. However, by showing up and saying "I'm scary, you're all gonna die", he's giving the Institute of War a signal that they should prepare for whatever is coming. Am I totally off-base in this?

Are there plans to make this sort of information readily available to the playerbase? Maybe putting it all together and publishing it in some fashion?

I mean, us Lore nerds can follow the Lore forum and the Chamber of Antiquity to find canon Lore for Champions.

But, with the removal of Judgments, the amount of information we have on any one Champion is very limited without following posts from the Creative team.

Is it possible to get more Champion history in the future? I know that the Lore is getting some heavy work at the moment, and I'm excited to see what you guys come up with. But, I'm presenting my concern for history specifically because:

When a Champion joins the League (with few exceptions), they stop developing as a character. Alistar is probably going to be looking for the littler girl forever. Xerath is probably not going to get the energy to free himself. Vayne is not going to be able to actually kill any of the corrupt magic users in the League for her "secret mission". So, really, a Champion's history is all we have, in regards to knowing the character.

And, truth be told, the Champions where we have more background are more provoking as characters. I mean, Lux is a very compelling character because of the background we have on her.

Or, will the Lore be moving in a more forward direction? Developing characters as they go? Amumu finding out where he's from, or the League finding a way to give Maokai back his old existence (possibly with him rejecting it)?

123456 ... 12