Possible Future Meta Change: 1-2-1 with a Support Roamer Mid

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TNine27

04-18-2012

This is something i've been theorycrafting for a while. It is both a prediction and theorygaming on the next "big" meta.

The general setup for this would be:
AP Carry on blue buff side (top for blue, bot for purple).
Bruiser on red buff side (bot for blue, top for purple)
Support/Roamer+AD Carry Mid
Jungler

The Gameplan
The Support starts mid with the AD Carry, and tries to aggressively zone the enemy mid. The Support will then help the Jungler invade the enemy jungle, or stage two-man ganks, or gank lanes while the jungler is farming. The Support should still be spending a lot of time in mid-lane for EXP, but should also be aggressively warding the enemy jungler, clearing out wards, and assisting in invades and duels in jungle. The jungler can also act as a weaker version of the jungler, ganking lanes by providing CC and buffs and counterjungling when it is safe.

The Support's role is actually very versatile. He does not focus on babysitting middle, but should be assisting lanes and, critically, assisting the jungler in counter-jungling. Nunu is probably the best at this, as he has a slow, a speed/damage buff, and a mini-smite that makes him amazing in invades and in ganks. Other good supports for this are Leona, Blitzcrank, Taric, and Alistar, champs that can put out damage and CC.

The main goal of this meta is to maximize resource gain and map control. By placing a Support mid that helps the jungler and fills a pseudo-jungler map presence, the team can have strong jungle security, jungle invade, and global gank presence.

How does this meta match up to the current meta?
Very favorably, at least in theory. Since the enemy jungler has no help, you can invade as early as level 3. No one wants to face down a Nunu and Shyvana at their red buff three and a half minutes into the game, and if they are caught unprepared they will easily die from the massive amounts of damage and slows. If the mid comes to help, they can force the support/jungle out, but the AD Carry and Support should have pushed the lane hard so that the Carry will lose farm. As long as the jungler continues to pressure, the AP Carry will lose out by protecting, and that's only if the AP Carry reacts quick enough to stop the jungler from dying. The Support Roamer is far more versatile, able to help any member of the team and exert objective control, while the Babysitting support is only able to really affect the lane and maybe Dragon.

It is important that you send a strong 1v2 champ bot against the current meta. For purple this would be someone like Ahri or Morgana, for blue this would be someone like Yorick or Cho'Gath. Once the level advantage clears itself, the roamer/support can clear wards bot lane, camp it if necessary, and lead 3v2 ganks with the jungler.

Why is this different from the old roaming meta?
The new jungle and the emergence of heavily-counterjungling based jungler and team compositions. The old roamer meta was beaten by duo-bot due to good ward use and defensive play. However, if you are focusing on invading, they will have trouble protecting their gold/xp gains in the jungle, which can lead to a stronger map presense, better counter-warding, and more lane pressure overall.

Why are the lanes setup as they are?
The AD Carry goes mid-lane since he will be most behind in levels, so he gets the easiest lane. He also gets the benefit of having a support, which is important as gold is most important on the AD Carry.
The support/roamer goes mid so that he can have the greatest map presence, being able to quickly defend or invade any part of the jungle, get to any lane, and get to dragon easily.
The two sololanes are divided into a "strong-side" AP Carry and a "weak-side" bruiser. The difference is thus: strong-side has easy access to blue buff, while the weak-side has the tribrush gank route in addition to ganks through river. As bruisers have better laning than AP Carries and AP Carries better benefit from blue buff, AP Carries get the stronger side while the Bruiser handles the weaker side. Yes this does mean asymmetric lanes.

Would this be a stable meta?
Yes, as far as i can tell. There is a large variety of champs that can support/roam: Nunu, Alistar, Leona, Taric, and Blitzcrank are great current supports that can do this, and other champs such as Maokai are also able to fill in this role. This meta has no obvious counter that i can see, and works against itself: both sides can be running 1-2-1 and it will still work.

How would this meta "emerge" from the current meta?
Supports will start to play more aggressively with the jungler, denying resources and helping lanes. If you are playing aggressive global support, this lane composition is optimal.

So what do you think?

TNine27

04-18-2012

Bump.

PersonalityJack

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-18-2012

There are many problems with these lanes, but the main one is that unless the support stays mid, mid will surely lose. An ap carry will destroy any ad carry at level 6, and the shortness of the mid lane makes it so that you cannot effectively zone. Also, because its a 2v1 lane in mid, and the ap carry scales so much better off levels, he will most likely just play passive until level 6 and proceed to win with just a little help from the jungler

TNine27

04-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonalityJack View Post
There are many problems with these lanes, but the main one is that unless the support stays mid, mid will surely lose. An ap carry will destroy any ad carry at level 6, and the shortness of the mid lane makes it so that you cannot effectively zone. Also, because its a 2v1 lane in mid, and the ap carry scales so much better off levels, he will most likely just play passive until level 6 and proceed to win with just a little help from the jungler
This is definitely the biggest problem, but if the AP Carry is playing passively until 6, then the jungle is forfeit, which means that you can exert greater pressure on all of the lanes, including mid. If the AD Carry plays smart, then he can avoid any kind of constant dying to the mid, and the mid can't really move up in lane without risking a 3v1 gank. And the Support does spend a lot of time mid, he just also spends a lot of time elsewhere.

AFOM

04-18-2012

I don't understand the roaming support that goes to take my jungle. Why don't I just wait for your support + jungler to leave, and then gank mid? 3v1. Kill the solo AD and immediately take his tower.

SummonerMan Matt

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-18-2012

One does not simply tell us what a new meta is...... If a you wanna break the meta you need to play with your new strat and win 80-90% of you games with this new layout.... Then people will slowly change.... Saying it on a forum is nothing but theory craft.

TNine27

04-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFOM View Post
I don't understand the roaming support that goes to take my jungle. Why don't I just wait for your support + jungler to leave, and then gank mid? 3v1. Kill the solo AD and immediately take his tower.
...i'm sorry i don't understand what you are saying. Who's ganking mid? The jungler, AP Carry, who's the third? If you are talking about the initial invade, then most junglers won't have red buff yet (obviously red-buff-first champs require an alternate strategy), and later in the game the support should ward the lanes. Are you saying you are just going to abandon your jungle?

NightmareMoonXJ9

04-18-2012

I don't agree with this at all.

~2k ELO XJ9

TNine27

04-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummonerMan Matt View Post
One does not simply tell us what a new meta is...... If a you wanna break the meta you need to play with your new strat and win 80-90% of you games with this new layout.... Then people will slowly change.... Saying it on a forum is nothing but theory craft.
This is nothing but theorycraft, but ultimately that's where all new metas start. I'm just brainstorming, i have neither the time nor energy to prove that this meta is stronger than the current meta.

tonpole

04-18-2012

I see a few problems with this, most notably the aforementioned collapse of mid. But also, I don't understand how bot is going to survive. There are champions who can, with varying degrees of success, hold out against the bot AD carry and the tank or support. But they're likely going to get zoned by any smart bot duo, at which point they either need to risk leaving their tower and getting ganked through tribush or stay at their tower and miss out on enough exp that they can no longer hold out. Bot is really just asking to get camped by the jungler, and as soon as bot dies or gets pushed back the other team can freely dragon, since a level 5 AD carry and a support coming from mid are not threatening. Also, since the jungle remake, counterjungling is not nearly as effective in shutting down a jungler, and without an AP carry that's advanced in levels it's not as useful to have map control early game, since you can't do anything with it.

12345 ... 6