Best runes for mage

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Odysseus1

04-18-2012

Could someone just tell me what the best runes are for a caster. Is it magic pen and the rest or ap or what... An answer would be appreciated.

Odysseus1

04-19-2012

An answer would be great.

Ayestes

04-19-2012

MagPen Marks

After that it's subjective.

Flat Mp5 Seals or Flat Armor Seals
Flat MR Glyphs or Variant of AP Glyphs or Flat Mp5 Glyphs
Move Speed Quints or Flat AP or Flat MR Quints or Flat Armor Quints

The choices depend on whether I'm a mana based mage, burst style mage, or need the movement speed. Also if you are up against a physical mid you would always take the Armor Seals and walk into it with a Cloth Armor. If you are up against a burst style mage or someone who generally counters you then walk into it with extra MR.

Which champion you choose and what you are up against are rather important in rune selection. If you want a generic setup, Armor Seals, MR Glyphs, and MvS Quints are useful on every mage and every champion in general. However there are certainly more optimal setups on an individual champion basis.

I have the following pages personally, although never enough rune pages to use them all:

Ryze, Soraka vs. Magic
MagPen Marks
Mp5 Seals
MR Glyphs
MvS Quints

Ryze, Soraka vs. Phys
MagPen Marks
Armor Seals
Mp5 Glyphs
MvS Quints

Morgana vs. Magic
MagPen Marks
Mp5 Seals
MR Glyphs
AP Quints

Morgana vs. Phys
MagPen Marks
Armor Seals
Mp5 Glyphs
AP Quints

Vladimir vs. Magic
MagPen Marks
Armor Seals
MR Glyphs
MR Quints

Vladimir vs. Phys
MagPen Marks
Armor Seals
MR Glyphs
Armor Quints

Teh Jonz0rz

04-19-2012

I run Mpen reds, Hp/level yellows, Ap/level blues, and flat AP quints.

Mpen because it stacks well with sorc boots (if i decide to get them)

Hp/level because, well... I like being a little more tanky, and yellows don't give amazing offensive stats anyway.

AP/level blues, eh... not really sure why I picked up AP/level instead of flat AP, but once I started the page I just finished it off with per levels

Flat AP quints because they get you to the "1 shot the minion wave" stage earlier, and improve your low level spell harass.

It's probably not "the best" ap runepage, but it works for me.

Ayestes

04-19-2012

Well technically there is no best AP runepage. It's highly subjective, and whatever works for you is probably best. Theoretically you could have an optimal runepage for the champion against another champion after you know how the game played out, but before that it's nearly impossible to tell. Not to mention personal preference when it comes to runes is one of the more important things. One Morgana might be played different then another.

H4RDSTYL3R

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-13-2013

Think better should be like this :
Red: Mag.Pen (better to stack with Sorc. Boots and Hunting guise or the pain mask, give u nice almost clean dmg from begining)
Yellow: Health or better Regeneration Runes for hp (because Blue Runes are busy with Ap and u need to have some defence.. chance to stand more at lane to grow your Blue ap runes)
Blue: Ap.per lvl (because it gives twice more than flat... later u dominate opposite mage)
Quints: Ap.flat (because Per lvl doesn't give twice more then flat Quint runes ( Ap Quints: Ap per lvl gives : 7.74 at 18th lvl / and Falt Quints for Ap Give u 5 (4.95) not worth w8ing 18th lvl just fore 6 ap... better to have earlier)))
=
8 Mag.pen + boots of sorc 15 + Lindsey's torment 15 = 38 mag pen. basicly u assamble sorc boots and hunting guise at 9th lvl most will have about 30 - 60 Mag res. and u have allready 38.
Health runes about 47 hp or 4 hp /per 5 secs
blue runes will give u 28 ap at lvl 18 and masteries 18 ap at lvl 18 = 46 ap at 18 lvl ) 2.5 ap per lvl will be growing
Falt Quints will give u 15 ap + masteries will give u 6ap = 21 ( later at 18th lvl 67 ap just from runes and masteries)