Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Scummbag Elo system

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

terhen

04-18-2012

As you may guess, a rant against the ever frustrating Elo system must come from someone on the depths of Elo hell, well, you are right, but i'm not here to complain about my current Elo...

The system is just Broken and unfair, the way it pairs you up with players that are far from having the same skill is a common complain (either on your team o the enemy team), but what i am complainning about today really, is the fact that when you loose a game 4v5, you loose the same amount of elo as a 5v5, and when you win a 5v4 you also win the same as if you'd have won against 5 players... the former has happened to me just once...but today I experienced for the 4th time having a Leaver since the beggining of the match (surrendered at 20, since alas he wasa troll who picked a 3rd AP for the team). I find it VERY unfair that I have to be penalized so severely for loosing a game that is too hard to win for the lack of a team member...

Now, i think there may be various solutions for this problem

- Decrease the ammount of Elo lost by 1/2 or 2/3 ( if you loose 12 normally you'd loose 6 on the first example and 9 on the second), and also decrease the ammount of elo WON to 2/3 of what you'd normally win, why this? Easy, there are a lot of scummbag players that don't report a leaver if it's not on their team, now, if because of that leaver they lose something, they will be more inclined to reporting them.

- Other than the reguilar penalizations for leavers, I think that a person that leaves a ranked game Early on, should suffer a bigger elo substraction from his/hers total elo, like triple the ammount, so it becomes a heavier penalizer, but doesn't put him too far from his current elo.

KidAmn

04-18-2012

This is a massive problem that Riot have never even considered dealing with. I started season 2 with a run of 12-1, which brought my ELO up to 1328 - but then had 6 games with trolls or leavers/AFK in the first few minutes or who never showed up at all. I lost the same amount of ELO as if those games had been closely contested. This is what ELO hell is - not "omg if ur so good just carry urself out" (to paraphrase what so many people respond with), but being in a position where you're in the wrong ELO not because you're bad at the game, but because the people around you are seeing a 4v5 on a regular basis (because leavers and/or bad players who ragequit after being dominated are far more common the lower you go) and not even bothering to play 100%.

Dota 2 currently has a system where there's the fancy mechanic that you take an increased ELO loss if you leave the game, whether prematurely or not, and if you leave in the first 15 (I think?) minutes, your team takes no ELO penalty. The winning team always gets ELO. How hard would it really be to implement this in League of Legends? Then again, because Dota 2 has it, I'm bracing for a storm of downvotes and "go back to Dota 2 then" comments.

terhen

04-19-2012

Well, if this current elo system keeps as it is, and i cope with it untill season 3 i am going to wait untill already 2 months of it are running so if i get a bad elo it will be mostly just because of me.

And yeah, Riot should follow the example of valve there, or else it's the communists who win xD

LCS Waterboy

04-20-2012

i also suggested this ki**** and what terhen brought up is another good idea bump for good posts

terhen

04-20-2012

Here is the link for JFC3750 suggestion http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2006177 (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=2006177)

jokull

04-20-2012

the problem with changing elo gain/loss according to leavers is that it would create a bullying problem where when a team knows theyre gonna lose they all pick on one guy and force him to leave to save their elo. this has been talked about and discarded because its a bad idea, it creates a bullying problem that would be far far worse for the health of the game and community

also ive experienced elo hell according to how people talk about it, and i was able to carry myself out of it. the secret is find a champion that is strong but underrated, like maokai jungle for example. i carried myself hardcore with maokai because hes a great jungler and he can help his team win their lanes very well.

think of it another way. leavers happen roughly equally, even if you feel like they're on your team more often. if you never ragequit or leave, statistically there will be fewer leavers on your team since your team can have 4 chances and the enemy team will have 5 chances. elo hell does exist, but it is possible to get out of if you truly belong out of it.

GoblinSwarm

04-22-2012

Quote:
jokull:
the problem with changing elo gain/loss according to leavers is that it would create a bullying problem where when a team knows theyre gonna lose they all pick on one guy and force him to leave to save their elo. this has been talked about and discarded because its a bad idea, it creates a bullying problem that would be far far worse for the health of the game and community

also ive experienced elo hell according to how people talk about it, and i was able to carry myself out of it. the secret is find a champion that is strong but underrated, like maokai jungle for example. i carried myself hardcore with maokai because hes a great jungler and he can help his team win their lanes very well.

think of it another way. leavers happen roughly equally, even if you feel like they're on your team more often. if you never ragequit or leave, statistically there will be fewer leavers on your team since your team can have 4 chances and the enemy team will have 5 chances. elo hell does exist, but it is possible to get out of if you truly belong out of it.

You could be posting this from a pentium of 333Mhz, but most likely, you're not. What we are looking for here is a solution so we can have a competitive yet not insuffrable gamming enviroment for everyone, not just oneself (tough ...yeah...that's the main gist of it, let's get real). I'm not trying to be agressive to you, but it's the first thing that popped out of my mind, avaoiding complete elo loss because of a leaver would be unwise, everyone agrees with that I think.

I completely agree with lowering the elo lost/won if you have a champion that left the game long ago, and to avoid bullying (as you call it), It'd be an interesting idea to have on the tribunal a different set of tribunal itself, one for the cases of raked games with a leaver, if the summoners after reading the chat log of the game believe that there was bullying (as you call it) they vote if that team has to be penalized or not, or they should vote, and those teams found guilty of bullying shall ve judged again by Admins of the game, as to use the tribunal as a filter to those cases where the community believes there was an infraction, so both the community and the people responsible for trying to mantain a good community will have to judge them...

What i am basically proposing is that any ranked team that had a leaver for an amount of time that would make the defeated team loose less elo that entire team would be subject to be judged on a new part of the tribunal dedicated just for those cases and if that team is found guilty of bullying (as you said) the entire set of players of that team shall either be directly penalized, or passed to be judged by riot personal admins or whatever figure other than the rest of the summoners.

It's jsut my oppinion after dwelbing a little deeper than the original post.

And yes Elo Hell is a great way to improove your solo abilities to carry an entire team at times...but if you are carrying an entire team menas that your team and the enemy team are really bad and you are stuck there because of something other than yourself.

Also, I repeat what we are looking for here is a solution so we can have a competitive yet not insuffrable gamming enviroment for everyone, not just oneself (tough ...yeah...that's the main gist of it, let's get real
Cheers
-----------------------------------------------------the Swarm

WakeskaterX

04-22-2012

When you win a 4v5 or 3v5 you should get lots more elo too... honestly i win 4v5s about as often as I lose them. CAUSE IMMA BAUSS

Void2258

04-22-2012

I started season two with 2 wins and then got 7 games in a row of 2 DCers on my team. My ELO tanked from the placement adjustment and now I am ten wins behind my loses and going down because of how bad my teams are. I just spent the entire weekend with only one win, despite dominating or at least holding even my own lane almost every game.

ProbablyTerribad

Recruiter

04-24-2012

Quote:
Void2258:
I started season two with 2 wins and then got 7 games in a row of 2 DCers on my team. My ELO tanked from the placement adjustment and now I am ten wins behind my loses and going down because of how bad my teams are. I just spent the entire weekend with only one win, despite dominating or at least holding even my own lane almost every game.

Oh god amen.