Is Maokai still a good tanky DPS?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aesaura

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-18-2012

I've been jungling with Maokai for a while and sometimes people want to jungle so I switch to Taric but I've jungled for so long I can't get the feel of Taric and I usually do very bad (AP Taric).

So that's my reason why I want to know if Maokai is still viable to be a tanky DPS? I've read it in a guide somewhere but there was an edited note that explained he is better use as a jungler during this meta.

Link to guide: http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=2394

Black Tides

04-18-2012

Taric can jungle?

Maokai is a good jungler because he has a fast start due to stacking his mini tree bombs. He also has a healing passive, and can go for a quick philo stone. In addition, his ganks are pretty good - a root and a small knockback are very nice. I would go with Maokai. He is still a good champion.

Aesaura

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-18-2012

You clearly misunderstood the question. I meant that whenever someone else wants to jungle, I have to switch to Taric because I only have those 2 champions, I just calrified how I played Taric. My question is can Maokai be a Tanky DPS/AP Tank.

IISkitzo

04-18-2012

Tanky? yes. DPS? not really. His base damage is very high at early levels but after that, it falls off substantially. What makes him great is in a fight, he lives forever due to his passive but damage-wise, he doesn't have the ratios to be a bruiser.

If you want a hard hitting tank, go Shen. Great bruiser. Damage-wise, amumu i think has the highest DPS due to his high raitios and percentage damage.

Aesaura

Recruiter

04-18-2012

SO I can't play him as an AP Tank or Solo Top? If I can't jungle with him I have to just become a full tank?

IISkitzo

04-18-2012

Solo top is lacklusker, he loses to many AD bruisers. he can't farm as well.

AP Tank mao isnt bad. Throwing an abbysal and a rylais in there can increase his threat but typically pure tank jungle mao is scary, especially if he gets fed. and it scales better into late game.

Aesaura

Recruiter

04-18-2012

OK, So I could go into an AP Tank if someone I know can jungle better than me?

IISkitzo

04-18-2012

explain

you mean someone is more experienced of a jungler than you or "x champ is better than maokai"?

Aesaura

Recruiter

04-18-2012

More experienced and/or better.

IISkitzo

04-18-2012

If your not a great jungler, just do it more and you'll learn. If your playing ranked or something, and just want to win, sure play something your more comfortable with. But if it's just normals, just do it! You'll utterly fail sometimes and sometimes you'll get super fed and the other team will light up with "MAOKAI OP" . But its worth learning. Back when i played ranked, learning how to jungle well served me well getting up the ladder. I'm better now than i was then, but it got me out of ELO hell.

TL;DR: just go for it. You'll get your own opinion when you just try it.