Riot, I miss the old you.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

bahamutkaiser

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-24-2012

This post is a bump.

jars

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-24-2012

why would anyone care about lore in this game. not only is it notoriously bad, it's totally pointless.

8RoundShock

04-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
This is totally valid and a hot-button issue, agreed. Part of the mistake was not only the time we've taken, but information coming out too early. Why are Magma Chamber and Stealth "unfulfilled promises?" Partially because we shouldn't share information when we're not totally sure, and in development, that's always later in the process. The way we managed Dominion information, for example, made sure we could deliver on what we said we'd do in a timely fashion, avoiding things like this.

This is also why I'm staying silent on stealth details - until it's concrete and solid, it's only potential for more disappointments if things change or expectations are set too early.
yep

9Point

04-29-2012

Well, i dont think its that you released information to soon, but rather how you released it.
With Magma Chamber it was "Look at this new map we are working on, this new hotness is just around the corner". Its no wonder people got excited about it. Same with Pulsefire Ez, being able to see the art, animations, skin, play time with someone else playing the new skin and being told its not ready upsets people.

For a positive example look at Blizzard's Diablo 3. How long has information been out about it? What two years? And its still as exciting and sought after. So what are they doing different then Riot? They release information, but no timelines, no "Soon" no "Almost ready" or "Just need to hot fix/ bug fix". We or at least I, enjoy getting new information about whats going on, but i would rather have no information then misinformation. And truth be told, getting info on timelines if even "soon" tm. is misinformation.

In my mind the easiest way to combat this is with those oh so simple announcements, journals, and pinned threads. A "Hey customers, this is what we are working on. No timeline yet but we want to let you guys know whats on the table"

The nitch that Leagues fills is getting shorter. With DOTA2 and Blizzard DOTA the competition will only get more intense to win over customers.

I am always reminded of the big Ionia vs Noxus match. This was the greatest thing i have ever seen in gaming history. Having players able to play in a game that would 1) be rewarded with a new item of there choice being put into Lol 2) Influencing the actual lore of Lol 3) being put into the journal as well as item description.

It was beautiful. But now, where are we?

On a personal note, I think you guys do a terrific job with champions. With each new release you can see the improvement and animations that make the champion unique. But on the flip side it only lessens the value of older champions. There is definitely a correlation between the quality of champions released now to older champions feeling less attractive. An example of this is Lulu and Karma. I love Karma, she is fun and had a very different skill set and ult system. But everyone knows that Karma needs work. When Lulu was released, I felt that that was the answer to Karma's problems. Why fix a champion when we can release a better one that you will buy. Granted this might not be the case at all, but that is how its perceived. Another key example is the last tournament. How many champions stacked Dorans? How many got Wits End? How many got Ionic Spark? There are items and champions that are not even touched in a competitive scene let alone casual play. It is a clear indicator that some of these things need to be looked at.

One of my biggest issues with Leagues is how it teaches you the game. Leagues is champion dependent. In ranked, team make-up is just as important as bans and counter picking. But this isn't taut early on. In fact I would argue blind pick is played more often than any other game mode. So whats the problem? Well one of the major components to this game is counter picking. And since you cant counter pick in blind mode you get "pub" champions. To me, there has never been a more misused excuse in Leagues then the justification of "pub" champions.

n30sh4d0w

07-02-2012

Quote:
04-29-2012, 10:15 AM
Well, i dont think its that you released information to soon, but rather how you released it.
With Magma Chamber it was "Look at this new map we are working on, this new hotness is just around the corner". Its no wonder people got excited about it. Same with Pulsefire Ez, being able to see the art, animations, skin, play time with someone else playing the new skin and being told its not ready upsets people.

For a positive example look at Blizzard's Diablo 3. How long has information been out about it? What two years? And its still as exciting and sought after. So what are they doing different then Riot? They release information, but no timelines, no "Soon" no "Almost ready" or "Just need to hot fix/ bug fix". We or at least I, enjoy getting new information about whats going on, but i would rather have no information then misinformation. And truth be told, getting info on timelines if even "soon" tm. is misinformation.

In my mind the easiest way to combat this is with those oh so simple announcements, journals, and pinned threads. A "Hey customers, this is what we are working on. No timeline yet but we want to let you guys know whats on the table"

The nitch that Leagues fills is getting shorter. With DOTA2 and Blizzard DOTA the competition will only get more intense to win over customers.
While I get where you are comming from I respectfully have to disagree at you postive example. Blizzard is by NO means a good example as games like Diablo 3, beyond their attractive exteriors of graphics and combat, don't offer the same game experience as blizzard's old games. Somewhere along the line, blizzard lost touch with the core of gaming, that fact that games must is a learning experience and fun. Now by learning experience I am not talking about that bloody number **** munchers or other educational games, I am talking about learning in the neuropsychological sense (see *). More deeply, I am talking about the fact there is an actual method and science behind how you should introduce a player and teach a player to play a game, which is a science blizzard seems to have abandoned in the pursuit of immeidate profit ignoring the writing on the wall (**). In fact, here is a link to a video that can probably explain it better than I ever could possibly hope to.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FpigqfcvlM

Lol should learn from Blizzard's mistakes.

(*) More specifically I am directly drawing from the Dr. Linden's definition of "learning" as he defines in Compass of Pleasure. (http://www.compassofpleasure.org/), in which learning and fun are fundamentally on a biological level the exact same thing on a psychological level.
(**)A few indie-companies (for-lack-of-a-better-term), like Thatgamecompany, have steadily been innovating core ideas of player experience, difficulty, and teaching a player. Compare how Mass Effect 3 and Diablo 3 did compared to a ""simple"" game like Journey, and you probably see that that tide of gaming is shifting.

Zionyx

07-02-2012

Thinking about it Urf was 5000 rp but was sold 99% off.

PFE is not the most expensive skin of all time!

Sorian

Recruiter

09-28-2012

I shall call you... necro

Dewaholic

01-28-2014

Well.... time to figure out what the lore team has been up too....

innervation

01-28-2014

I'll bump once or twice to see if any reds are lurking. I'm probably like a 3/10 on the lore scale in terms of how much I care, but I gotta say, lore events like when the Treeline got redone really got me wanting to play shadow isles champs, especially headless hecarim.

good luck op

first time Vayne

01-28-2014

Elaborate lore events are really fun for me too, but you have to remember that they are really costly and must bring in revenue to cover those costs. A couple skins and ward skins may not be enough. I am GUESSING at this, but since the lunar event is so downplayed, I'm betting the last Harrowing event was a loss after development costs, else they'd have made this event larger.

My perception of how things are going is precarious and that of an outsider, but I'll say that it appears that Riot's priorities need adjustment. Their new playerbase is growing because of the popularity of the esports scene, but at the same time their veteran playerbase (or at least the vocal bit of it) seems alienated. I just hear so much from people who have been around a long time about how Riot is losing touch with not only the players, but their game! Just look at the balance team as of late... lol

I don't want to make claims or accusations or recommendations, though, since I've only been around a couple of years. I just wish Riot put more effort into connecting with the players, keeping the game legitimately balanced by people who actually understand it, and following through on projects they say are priorities. I just feel that too much money goes to the esports scene and not enough to actually developing the game.