Riot, I miss the old you.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

muffunman

04-18-2012

Am I the only one that thinks they have been doing alot better with patches and discussion? I almost feel like this is one of those grass is greener on the other side posts. Maybe Im just crazy...

Gorbie Jr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-18-2012

2.7 million people follow League of Legends on Facebook. Why is there so little information disseminate through it.

Morello

Lead Designer

04-18-2012
3 of 30 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewaholic View Post
Your right on both points.
However I honestly fill like if both or ether were done right, it would lead to good things.

I do doubt riot would hire a shallow boring "community manager" though, this would be a role for the spunky fun loving person rioters tend to be. It also doesn't mean that other rioters would stop posting, in fact it could help improve it. Having some one who know's what information can be shared and what can't be would be a valuable tool, as well as some one who could direct the proper rioter to the thread to answer it them self's if they wish.

As for the outcry from players from enhanced patch previews, these are the same people that will whine when the patch note's come out any ways. I actually believe that with more clarity as to why the changes are being made, there would be less of these post though.
Meta changes are too big for a "patch preview" format unless changes are to directly address major metas. Since what we have is much more stable, the format of the discussions is different - that's less than the patch preview being different (in fact, we're taking greater care to make sure "why" is clearer).

When you have toxic metas (as opposed to one with some things that are not optimal, like ours now) it tends to dominate the conversation much more.

Dreggon

04-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
To add to this, it's not only company growth, but community growth. There's myriads of posts about hot-topics (**Eve***, zero-CS, design direction, etc) but with forums as our primary way to talk with you guys, more posts means less red-per-player.

I think a lot of this is growing pains - even though our attitude and way we operate is largely the same, communicating this effectively has to evolve and keep up, which is pretty tough
Would you say that there are TONS of threads about those particular subjects, and that as a courtesy to the rest of the community you try not to split conversations up into multiple threads, so you won't be able to give in-depth answers to these questions here?

Lerry the Lebster

04-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerry the Lebster View Post
This may be somewhat unrelated, but I think it might be good to have designated Riot employees to check each of the site's forums. It seems like all of the reds are in General discussion. I've heard the TT forum has only had like 4 red posts in its history. I think it would be nice to have have Riot employee to respond to and get feedback in each section of the forums on a "somewhat" regular basis.
I'm quoting myself in a new post because nobody ever reads posts unless they have a quote in them. In your heart you know this to be true.

AbbySmaLL

04-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronach View Post
Let me first say thanks for taking the time to compose this Dewaholic. I sympathize with your concerns about the method and rates with which we deliver lore. I think it added a lot of character for those who wanted to dive deeper into it. We've actually increased the size of our creative team, but players haven't seen the benefits, so it's justified to say were not doing a good job there yet. We're looking to develop different means with which players can interact with the lore other than judgements since they were seen by a small fraction of people. I've seen some of the things under development and I'm excited for when players get to see the work people like RiotRunaan have been putting in.

In response to your main point, I think the reason for the lack of transparency is due to the growth of our company. In the past, I literally knew what everyone was doing on a day-to-day basis. I could speak on the actual progress of various features, live design discussions, or bugs. As we've become more specialized, our visibility has tended to shrink to within our discipline. If there is a live design issue, I forward it to the team that is responsible for it. I can acknowledge a balance issue, but I'm ultimately no longer in a position where I'm directly fixing them and can speak to a time frame for a fix. The less people are directly responsible for work, the more unsure they become to whether or not it's something we can talk about on the forums.
is it so hard to ask you guys to make a post giving some actual reasons to why a patch is delayed, or some correspondance on the GD forum saying it wont be out each couple of days or something? i was under the assumption riot hired people to fill these kind of roles.

most people will be more accepting with more communication. the lack of said communication the past 2-3 patches is what is causing these type of threads and posts to be made. just keeping the player base updated every day or two during patch delay weeks is all most people are asking for. by all means delay a patch if its not ready, but just communicate.

Dewaholic

04-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
To add to this, it's not only company growth, but community growth. There's myriads of posts about hot-topics (Eve, zero-CS, design direction, etc) but with forums as our primary way to talk with you guys, more posts means less red-per-player.

I think a lot of this is growing pains - even though our attitude and way we operate is largely the same, communicating this effectively has to evolve and keep up, which is pretty tough
Yes I imagine you all fear posting on the forums to a degree, the second a red show's up the forums explode with questions for them. It would drive me insane trying to answer people's questions any near at the rate that many of you do.

Hence I'm trying to throw out some ways to help evolve and keep up with the community. Be it threw the patch preview, people who's job it is to rack your brains for us and relay said information, or some other new genius way.

Right now there's just way for you guys to keep up, and I dont think its fair to ether side. Hence something needs to be put into action to help this problem, while I really enjoy reading your guys post there's just not enough of you guys to go around.

Morello

Lead Designer

04-18-2012
4 of 30 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreggon View Post
Would you say that there are TONS of threads about those particular subjects, and that as a courtesy to the rest of the community you try not to split conversations up into multiple threads, so you won't be able to give in-depth answers to these questions here?
Yes, and since I want to have a conversation as opposed to ivory-tower edicts, I want to be able to go back-and-forth on the subject...that's much harder to do in 15 smaller threads.

zeirios

04-18-2012

What about free champ weekends or double IP or maybe even a free skins weekend (maybe not all at once but just the free champs or something)? When people see how awesome some of the skins are they'll buy.

Chagrinn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-18-2012

-1 for bad grammar.