Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Riot, I miss the old you.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Que Rico

04-18-2012

Quote:
Dewaholic:
Tl:dr The old riot really changed the way I think of game company's. Over time there starting to lose some of there great traits and slide more into the ways of other company's. This is my way of making a plea and I can't help but fill I'm not the only that fills this way.

They're*

Lerry the Lebster

04-18-2012

This may be somewhat unrelated, but I think it might be good to have designated Riot employees to check each of the site's forums. It seems like all of the reds are in General discussion. I've heard the TT forum has only had like 4 red posts in its history. I think it would be nice to have have Riot employee to respond to and get feedback in each section of the forums on a "somewhat" regular basis.

IS19e711f4829b93c9513d6

04-18-2012

More lore, yay!

Hiring people to 'coordinate public information' and the like leads to community managers. I do not want community managers. They are boring and shallow. I'd much rather have conversations with the actual designers etc, even if those are a little more sporadic - their insights are much more interesting than the neatly-organised waffle fed to CMs.

More indepth patch previews are nice. The only real problem with them is that the community has a tendency to think itself always in the right (not as a whole, obviously), which leads to more long, waffley posts about how riot is doing it wrong, etc. Increasing nerfbuff clarity would have to be done pretty carefully to avoid that!

Metricos

04-18-2012

Moar Loar Plox

Dewaholic

04-18-2012

Dole co has some very good points there. These are some of the exact same questions I have myself, and there things that I would like the know the answers too as well.

He is right as well about the patch previews, the old ones were worth watching twice for the information in them. Even if you keep there current style, more information in them would be a great leap forward in letting the player base reconnect with whats going on.

Axhliay

04-18-2012

Just an idea here, but you guys have this twitter account, designated for nothing.

What you could turn it into is a Riot wide twitter account, where each Rioter knows the details to the account. And they'd update it with details of what there department is working on, what they're working on as an individual, and it allows the community to see what Riot is doing in 1 centralised place, without the hassle of finding each Rioter individually. It solves the issue of public co-ordination too.

Twitter account in Question

http://twitter.com/#!/riotgames

It has 0 tweets, so you could put it to use for something :P

spongefry

04-18-2012

Quote:
GloriousKotomine:
sorry bro new riot only cares about appeasing their Chinese overlords and making tons of monies.
rip in piece riot.

"rip in piece riot"

rest in peace in piece riot

Morello

Lead Designer

04-18-2012

Quote:
Coronach:
Let me first say thanks for taking the time to compose this Dewaholic. I sympathize with your concerns about the method and rates with which we deliver lore. I think it added a lot of character for those who wanted to dive deeper into it. We've actually increased the size of our creative team, but players haven't seen the benefits, so it's justified to say were not doing a good job there yet. We're looking to develop different means with which players can interact with the lore other than judgements since they were seen by a small fraction of people. I've seen some of the things under development and I'm excited for when players get to see the work people like RiotRunaan have been putting in.

In response to your main point, I think the reason for the lack of transparency is due to the growth of our company. In the past, I literally knew what everyone was doing on a day-to-day basis. I could speak on the actual progress of various features, live design discussions, or bugs. As we've become more specialized, our visibility has tended to shrink to within our discipline. If there is a live design issue, I forward it to the team that is responsible for it. I can acknowledge a balance issue, but I'm ultimately no longer in a position where I'm directly fixing them and can speak to a time frame for a fix. The less people are directly responsible for work, the more unsure they become to whether or not it's something we can talk about on the forums.

To add to this, it's not only company growth, but community growth. There's myriads of posts about hot-topics (Eve, zero-CS, design direction, etc) but with forums as our primary way to talk with you guys, more posts means less red-per-player.

I think a lot of this is growing pains - even though our attitude and way we operate is largely the same, communicating this effectively has to evolve and keep up, which is pretty tough

Dewaholic

04-18-2012

Quote:
Rhadamant:
More lore, yay!

Hiring people to 'coordinate public information' and the like leads to community managers. I do not want community managers. They are boring and shallow. I'd much rather have conversations with the actual designers etc, even if those are a little more sporadic - their insights are much more interesting than the neatly-organised waffle fed to CMs.

More indepth patch previews are nice. The only real problem with them is that the community has a tendency to think itself always in the right (not as a whole, obviously), which leads to more long, waffley posts about how riot is doing it wrong, etc. Increasing nerfbuff clarity would have to be done pretty carefully to avoid that!

Your right on both points.
However I honestly fill like if both or ether were done right, it would lead to good things.

I do doubt riot would hire a shallow boring "community manager" though, this would be a role for the spunky fun loving person rioters tend to be. It also doesn't mean that other rioters would stop posting, in fact it could help improve it. Having some one who know's what information can be shared and what can't be would be a valuable tool, as well as some one who could direct the proper rioter to the thread to answer it them self's if they wish.

As for the outcry from players from enhanced patch previews, these are the same people that will whine when the patch note's come out any ways. I actually believe that with more clarity as to why the changes are being made, there would be less of these post though.

Heid57

04-18-2012

Quote:
GloriousKotomine:
sorry bro new riot only cares about appeasing their Chinese overlords and making tons of monies.
rip in piece riot.

rest in peace in piece