What does ganking mean?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ranchodas C

04-17-2012

I hear other people use the term a lot, but I have no idea what it means.
Thanks.

MorderX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-17-2012

I don't know the exact definition, but it means some players will get you from the flank (river).

Kame Senpai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-17-2012

I actually don't know its exact definition but its used when someone creates an unfair fight by making it a 1v2, 2v3, etc.
Its simply, a surprise attack.

YourMummu

04-17-2012

Yeah, surprise attack. Usually if youre against a solo champ, becareful not to overextend to their tower or you might get ganked(SURPRISE ATTACK! CAWCAWCAW!) so yeah..

SkankDanker

04-18-2012

Ganking is basically when a champion comes from either the Jungle or another lane to attack you. This is often attempting to create a miss match in numbers and hopefully done with a surprise element.

Eskimooooo

04-18-2012

What they said ^ so be weary if an enemy is letting you push too far to his lane and also be cautious if you see that the enemy is randomly being super aggressive and charging towards you as they both are signs of a gank is about to happen.

Eskimooooo

04-18-2012

If your ghost or flash summoner spell is on cooldown it's a really bad idea to go past your side of the lane.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

04-18-2012

Just a note, you don't actually need to outnumber them; you just want to be in a better position. Sometimes this is because they're low on health, but other times it's simply because you have the burst potential to take them out before they can get out.

If you don't have Ghost/Flash up, you ward the river. Sure you don't want to overextend w/o them, and having them allows you to escape from more things, but you don't want to be overextending because you have Flash up. If you waste Flash because you were in a bad position 'because you had it,' then you don't have it for that fight a bit down the road. (Overextending 'because you have Flash' is a really, really bad mistake a lot of players make, and not just new players.)

Hugorgy

11-05-2012

it comes from dota, but it may be earlier... i think it was something like "Go Around n' Kill" (GANK)

AJStarhiker

11-05-2012

Urban Dicitonary definition of gank