Verily Vladimir

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ibeslummin

11-29-2010

This is going to come off harsh, but saying that you get an amplifying tome to start and pass on the health potion to save the gold is proof you are not a very good player. I have denied exp to vlads most of the time who get a amp tome with a health potion with a wide range of strong early game heroes. He is plainly not very good levels 1-4 and competent opponents will punish you.

Your starting item advice is proof you are playing against poor players, and there is no other way around it. I stopped reading at this point because it makes your credibility fly out the window.

Doran's shield is the way to go (with a health potion) because it makes up for your lackluster very-early game and often makes the difference in being able to harass with your attack and keep your opponent from creeping.

blackfrost13

11-29-2010

i did both ways and it's all about how you play. if you play very defensibly then you don't need a health pot but if you play offensively then yes you will need one. also depending on your runes and masteries says a lot. if you go down the defense tree then you start out with a lot more health then normal which helps a lot. just what ever works for you i guess

Atomic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-29-2010

best build for vlad is rush SORC boots, then rylais, then zhonyas, void staff, will of ancients. if the game lasts that long.

-1902 elo Atom1c

Sacull Kinslayer

11-29-2010

The loss of gold if you have to sell the health pot back is negligible. It is much better to have one and not need it than to need it and not have it. And yes the defense tree takes care a lot of Vlad's weaknesses early. And your play style dictates your situation as well. I have yet to find a hero early that can kill me without me making a huge mistake. Won't happen. And I have played against every hero in the mid multiple times... except LeBlanc. But regardless if you play safe then you won't die. Play it like you would the 1v2 lane and just last hit creeps and Q for health while under your turret. Name the opponent and I will tell you how to survive. And it mostly revolves around being patient... which most people have problems doing.

I like to get Sorc Shoes > Rylai's > Will of Ancients > zRing > Void Staff. Reason I get the WIll so early is that heal is around 75% of your Q heal whenever you cast Transfusion. Makes it real hard to kill you. After you get the zRing and Void Staff it will heal for more than Transfusion.

@blackfrost

1) No. Ghost is your getaway spell and your gank spell. Exhaust is awesome but Ghost is so much better... it works WITH San Pool if you cast it before the pool. Now Exhaust vs Ignite... that is a different debate. I still would prefer Ignite because that gives you that extra punch you need to kill someone. AND it kills people healing ability. I love to throw that on someone in the very early game when they drink a potion. Makes me giggle as I know they rage because their potion does nothing for them.

2) Yes. Spell Vamp stacks with Q's natural vamp. Every Q I cast I get a ton of health back on top of the natural life steal. That is why I like WotA right after Rylai's. At around levels 12-14 with Sorc Shoes, Rylai's, and Will of the Ancients only Transfusion heals me for ~120 and WotA heals me for ~80 more on top of that. After you get the zRing and Void Staff your WotA will out heal your Q.

Nylian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-13-2011

Haven't been active for a while but I really appreciate all of the comments and criticism.

Everyone brings up some very valid points. I plan to update the guide a bit more as I get more games with the new items under my belt.

@ibeslummin

I tested this, and yes, Doran's shield can help. Not trying to throw punches back and forth but it sounds more like the people you were playing against were terrible. The only time I've gotten denied xp was when I was 2v1, and even then you just last-hit at the tower. Since the introduction of all the new champs in the last few months this may have changed, and I would be more than happy to test with Doran's shield again and provide an update.

As mentioned in the guide having the health pot is preference, and that I play a hyper conservative early game.

Sacull brings up the excellent point of selling the pot back if you don't use it is a negligible gold loss. I really like the suggestion and I'm not sure why I didn't even think about it. I always felt I never needed it.

@Sacull

An excellent guide you have there, and you really bring up some great points and explanations to my guide as well. I appreciate the help you provided and links to other resources. The more a new Vlad player can learn the better.

AutomobileX

01-22-2011

Spirit Visage is godly on Vlad, i get it before T2 boots becuase it allows me to stay in lane longer, if I'm dominating I'll skip it and get rylai's then deathcap and all defensive items, usually randuin's omen and guardian angel.

Nylian

01-25-2011

I have tested spirit visage, and it is helpful, it has a little bit of everything that Vlad can use.

Spirit Visage
250 health
10 AP
12% CDR
+20% Healing effects
30 MR

1,550 Gold

Haunting Guise
220 Health
27 AP
20 Spellpen

1,485 Gold

I have always preferred Haunting Guise as an alternative for the spellpen. This ultimately will come down to preference and how you're doing to the game. Casters are fickle, if you're behind on the AP for a specific point in the game your comparative DPS goes to trash. I see items like spirit visage putting me behind on AP, when it's gold I could be spending on making my Q hit like a truck, with a large rod for 80ap for example, which also builds in to something, instead of doing something neat like making me heal for a bit more. Obviously spirit visage offers the 12% CDR and the MR which is hard to ignore, but when most of your damage is coming from spells on a 3-5 second CD 12% CDR is superfluous. Again this is going to be a matter preference, play-style, and past experience here.

Nylian

09-12-2011

Updated guide with latest revision of skills.

Ticking Death

10-16-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nylian View Post
[B]Note that you lose effectiveness if you have a guise and a scepter or sorc boots with this item.
Actually, Void Staff does not lose effectiveness. Its percentile reduction takes priority over flat reduction.