Good recording software? / Reducing lag for fraps?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AlexEst

08-10-2010

Hello.
There are lots of guides in internet where is lots of text and text. But there aren't much guides that have videos.
My idea was to start making video guides, explaining new players how to play different champions. I've been playing since beta and i'm particulary fine with every champion.
I have tried to record some footage. Meh, fail. I've been using fraps, but it makes the game lag. I've been watching vidoes how to reduce lag. Well, lag was reduced a little, but the quality of the video was rubbish. I have been trying to find another recording software but haven't found anything good. Suggestions?

Slurpysoft

08-10-2010

What you are looking for simply does not exist. This is a hardware issue, not a software issue. Fraps is probably the best around.

Cut your feed to record in an uncompressed format. The file size will be extremely huge, but that can be taken care of when you encode using a program such as Windows Movie Maker. Doing this keeps load off of the CPU trying to encode, while recording, while playing the game.

Make the Fraps record in 30 Fps. Although 60 Fps is really really smooth looking, sites like Youtube will re-encode your video to a forced 30 Fps, even if you encoded to 30 Fps. This will cut down the size of the file being generated, and take load off of the CPU.

Make sure that you record in a resolution that is comfortable and normal. 1024x768 is a normal resolution and is pretty standard on most monitor settings. If you're looking to go widescreen, I recommend 1440x900. Turning your settings to 720HD or 1080HD is going to really hog your resources.

If you have an external drive, it is a good idea to either play the game from one drive and record the data onto the other one.

Other than that, you are limited by your hardware. If you are serious about this, try to invest into a 2 or 4 core CPU. Make sure you have a decent GPU setup. I also recommend a minimum of 3 GB or more. Run a 64-bit OS if Fraps supports 64-bit. Look for a 64-bit compatible video encoding/editing program, this will really cut down on the conversion times.

ccesssu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-10-2010

Anyone know a free alternative program?

Wedgiemaster

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Okabe1 048596

12-24-2010

i'm experiencing the same problem. i'm about to try having it save the file to the external (like Slurpysoft mentioned) and see if that makes any difference. if that doesn't make a big enough difference i am going to see about recording in an uncompressed format. i have a feeling that is going to be necessary...