Tank suggestions for TT?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Capnlanky

04-14-2012

Hello, LoL Nation!
A few buddies and myself have gotten into LoL fairly recently, and we've mostly played unranked 3v3 games. I've been getting some experience as a tank, and I am enjoying the role. I'm sure this is just opening a can of worms, but what tanks do people prefer to play as/with on TT, and why? Is it better to be a fighter/tank hybrid than a true tank? Feel free to include heroes who riot hasnt labeled as a tank, if they can still fill that role effectively. I've had fun playing as Malphite and Shen thus far as they are free this week. I frequently play with a Garen, if that helps. Thanks!

GrimCrimson

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-14-2012

I prefer playing Volibear as a tanky DPS.

His Q is great for chasing and initiating
His W is just total rape when you have warmogs and they are low on health
His E is awesome for minion waves and a good combo with Q
His R can be used to attack people who are turret hugging(attacking the minions)

Axil

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-14-2012

Shen

Arkensth

04-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by LixaLollipop View Post
Shen
Shen.

Th3 Herbalist

04-14-2012

Pretty much any champ that starts in S is pretty decent for 3s.

lirm

04-14-2012

Shen.

Alister is also good if you have a squishy super dps.

kingnedved

04-14-2012

rammus & singed hands down

Cuban Belmont

04-14-2012

I personally enjoy Galio, he is a fantastic AP tank, although, you won't always play twisted treeline matches with any AP champs at all. So he is kind of a hit and miss. If you want to go for characters that are great fighters and a little tanky, I would suggest Warwick, Renekton, or Vladimir, those are all great 3v3 champs in my opinion.

WolfTide

04-22-2012

I find playing offtank Jarvan pretty good for TT

MajorGiggles

04-22-2012

Don't go pure tank, is the pattern in this thread. I'm not highly ranked in TT, but I've played enough to know that Tanky DPS wins games (at mid/high-elo, at least).

The best tanky-dps champs I've seen are:
Singed, Amumu, Shyvana, Garen, Lee Sin, Wukong, Udyr, Warwick, Yorick, Volibear, Galio, Rammus, Shen.

It's really difficult to play squishies because the enemy tanks can just plough through your protectors and CC them to death. So if your teammates do happen to play squishies, it's almost mandatory to get Rod of Ages or Crystal Sceptor for your APs, and/or Frozen Mallet for your ADs, just so you can live long enough to handle the initial CC burst, run until they change focus to your teammates, then come back and poke.