Locked Camera Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Apollo Starling

11-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Hmmm makes me think of an interesting variation. So the problem would be that recentering on your mouse could be very abrupt, but what if when you hold space it pans the camera to center on your mouse and then locks on release? That might feel ok... If you press and release quickly it might just recenter
As long as I have an option to immediately recenter and skip the panning, such as with an immediate press-and-release of spacebar (a tap) I'm all for it

That's basically what I do when I unlock my camera. I only unlock it when I need to see something now, so I just left click on a part of the minimap after I unlock to immediately center the camera there. That's essentially what I'm trying to do right now, but can't quite, cause the interface doesn't allow it, an immediate re-centering of the camera.

Siebzhen

11-07-2012

Sad day i log in to see not one comment about my solution Where purple has its own sperate XY axis to use that lets them play at the same view point that blue does =/

IonDragonX

11-08-2012

@ Riot, please read:

Just my opinion but there should be a THIRD option for the camera:

Elastic Camera (I can't think of a better term)

This mode keeps the camera centered on the halfway point between the cursor and the champion. Essentially, if you move your cursor all the way to the right side of the screen, your champion will be seen on the far left side. As your cursor moves back to the middle of the screen, so too does your champion. It is a lot more natural in action than it is to read it.
There should be a little inactive area around your champion where the cursor can be without moving the camera (200 units or so) after that, the average between the cursor and the champion would be compensated for that 200 so there would be a fluid camera movement up until a maximum range (2200 units or so). The maximum would be held so your champion would not accidentally wind up under the minimap or other parts of the UI.

Aside: weren't we supposed to get dots under our skills to quickly display our level ups?

Jrud

11-08-2012

Now I only read the first 7 pages on this topic, but I assume most good ideas have been thought of and mentioned already, but I thought I'd throw my ideas out in case they weren't (I can sometimes think outside of the box ):

idea 1:

How about an option to turn the camera angle 45 degrese clockwise? then purple is on the right, blue is on the left, and neither side has an advantage either way. And, "top" stays "top" and "bottom" stays "bottom"... and from my experience, I have never heard anyone in the game give directions like "Push to the left!" or "Move to the west!"

idea 2:

the camera angle is currently angled, could it be optionally moved to a top-down camera?

idea 3:

Track statistics on most used camera mode (fixed or free) for each player and give priority to players who use fixed to blue since this effects them more (this is of course more of a band-aid than a fix, but it will appease a lot of the community.

idea 4:

I know I read that allowing characters to zoom out farther would provide an unfair advantage to players with larger monitors but I disagree. I play on a 19 inch monitor (which isn't the smallest possible obviously, but its close, and probably average I bet). Even if you had a 17 inch screen, I still think that playing the game would be improved by being able to zoom out just a little further.

Kise

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-10-2012

Can there be an option to reposition the HUD? I imagine this would make it easier to play with a locked camera on red side and gain vision to your enemy's side.

Being on the blue side, having the HUD at the bottom still allows you to see ahead to the red side, whereas you don't get that on the other team.

Jrud

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eunson View Post
Should be able to scroll out more. People who have a smaller monitor have a disadvantage. My girlfriend took my older monitor which is smaller. When we play side by side, she sees far less than I do. Everyone should be able to see the same amount imo. By being able to zoom out further than what is currently offered, players would be able to play with a view that feels more comfortable instead of what their screen size restricts them to.
so having a smaller screen hinders you even MORE by not having extra zoom out? ...Interesting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
How will people discover how to use it? How do we teach people that it is there or make it discoverable? If people can't figure out it exists, it's no different than not fixing the problem.
If an option was there to fix this in the options screen or the "More Options" screen, I would have found it by now I promise you... often when I die in game due to what I feel like are technical problems like camera angle rather than my level of skill I will go over the options to see if there is anything I missed or anything I can change to make the interface work better for me. When I don't find anything to fix the issue I had it becomes even more frustrating than having died due to a problem with the game.

EdgedSword

11-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Link View Post
Allow us to zoom out further, or switch the map based on team Color, so that no matter whether you are Blue or Purple, you start in the bottom left and work towards the top right.
I like this idea.

xRaasu

11-14-2012

My solution would be to allow players to have an option that would flip the HUD to the top of the screen. The mechanics of it are very simple and it's all we really need for our view to be unobscured.

I realize the number of people in the community vying for this is a rather small number in comparison to the overall player base but even the minority is important. I don't mean to get philosophical but this country was founded on a basis of "majority rule, minority rights." If the little guy got no attention this country would be nowhere as this country was once indeed "the little guy."

If you feed and water the plant, it will grow. Likewise, if you feed and water the player base that enjoys playing with a locked camera, it will probably grow and/or be happier.

TL; DR - Flip HUD be k

Master SARS

11-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by xRaasu View Post
My solution would be to allow players to have an option that would flip the HUD to the top of the screen. The mechanics of it are very simple and it's all we really need for our view to be unobscured.

I realize the number of people in the community vying for this is a rather small number in comparison to the overall player base but even the minority is important. I don't mean to get philosophical but this country was founded on a basis of "majority rule, minority rights." If the little guy got no attention this country would be nowhere as this country was once indeed "the little guy."

If you feed and water the plant, it will grow. Likewise, if you feed and water the player base that enjoys playing with a locked camera, it will probably grow and/or be happier.

TL; DR - Flip HUD be k
boourns, can we get some feedback on this particular suggestion?

I thought of the same thing today: really, the only thing that blocks a lot of downward skillshots on the purple side is the central portion of the HUD with the abilities and summoner spells. Would there be any way to engineer the HUD so that there can be an option to put this on the top of the screen (which is empty anyways)? That way, there would be a newly-vacated space smack dab in the center-bot of the screen. Think of it similar to how many people (myself included) put their windows Start menu and taskbar on the top of the screen (or left or right side) instead of keeping it on the bottom.

Frankstg

11-16-2012

I used to play with locked screen for my first 2000 games, but then I went to play DoTa2 and I got used to unlocked screen after about 10 games. This is coming from someone who played A LOT of LoL games with the screen locked: Set unlocked to be the default option. Only after DotA did I see all that I've missed by playing with the screen locked. Locked screen is really hindering the player's performance (in my case anyway), and I wish I learned to play with unlocked screen from the beginning, but I catched up on unlucked now and I can safely say that my gameplay got better as a direct result of unlocking my screen.