Locked Camera Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

boourns

UI Designer

10-31-2012
64 of 82 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn Chip View Post
I just noticed this Thread, and it was made over 6 months ago; yet no changed have been made in-game. I was just wondering if you could say how close you are to putting screen-lock changes in to the game?

Also: I reeeeally like the idea of being able to hold the space bar to unlock the screen. I am glad that you guys are making changes to screen-lock since you are at such a big disadvantage while playing with it.
I can't give you a timeframe, we don't have immediate plans to work on it. We're working on HUD changes right now and some other things that I hope to be able to talk about in the near future that will benefit all players!

I want to be clear that we haven't decided to do anything yet, but the data I've gathered makes getting this to be a higher priority easier.

IS131c7cb285e774

10-31-2012

boourns, I've a suggestion for the locked camera:

Make the middle mouse button so it can change the center focus point of the locked camera when it is enabled. The camera will still follow the champion's movement. "Space" hotkey will center the camera to the champion as default.

LGD Diddykonga

10-31-2012

@boourns Just wandering, i know you can scale the GUI, but why is it we cant scale the minimap too? That big things in the way all the time, makes it to when im running from a gank i accidentally click on it, and get my self killed lol

BisquickBroccoli

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
I can't give you a timeframe, we don't have immediate plans to work on it. We're working on HUD changes right now and some other things that I hope to be able to talk about in the near future that will benefit all players!

I want to be clear that we haven't decided to do anything yet, but the data I've gathered makes getting this to be a higher priority easier.
@Boourns Why is Riot always putting this behind everything eles. Players have been *****ing about this for years now. I understand there are other projects all the time but this is such an easy fix. You have seen that stats on the millions of players using screen lock(Im guessing it's a huge number). In my previous post my idea was screen lock anywhere on screen. After you center lock use the arrow keys to set up your field of view. All the mechanics are already there you can center lock and you can use the arrow keys to move the map around. Why hasn't something like this been built?

boourns

UI Designer

11-01-2012
65 of 82 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theeffect View Post
@boourns Just wandering, i know you can scale the GUI, but why is it we cant scale the minimap too? That big things in the way all the time, makes it to when im running from a gank i accidentally click on it, and get my self killed lol
You can! It's a separate slider in the options menu with the HUD and chat scale. I think we added that with the new performance improvements we did to the HUD ~5 months ago or so.

boourns

UI Designer

11-01-2012
66 of 82 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FumIsChum View Post
@Boourns Why is Riot always putting this behind everything eles. Players have been *****ing about this for years now. I understand there are other projects all the time but this is such an easy fix. You have seen that stats on the millions of players using screen lock(Im guessing it's a huge number). In my previous post my idea was screen lock anywhere on screen. After you center lock use the arrow keys to set up your field of view. All the mechanics are already there you can center lock and you can use the arrow keys to move the map around. Why hasn't something like this been built?
If you read my previous posts on the subject, it's *not* a simple solution. While your suggestion is reasonable, how will people discover how to use it? How do we teach people that it is there or make it discoverable? If people can't figure out it exists, it's no different than not fixing the problem. We don't want a solution that quiets posts on the forums because you all know about it, but doesn't solve the problem for all the other people out there.

Also, any solution needs to be something that many locked camera players can adapt to using. If you already don't like managing the camera because it is too cumbersome, is moving your hands off QWER to manipulate arrow keys necessarily better?

Unfortunately, we have many similar problems that we'd like to solve in the UI that affect a much larger part of our player base, which is why we have not been able to work on it yet. The truth is, there are a lot of things we'd like to do and limited resources so we have to try to find the things that have the most impact. For a long time colorblind mode wasn't one of them, despite how crippling it was for a large portion of our players, but we ultimately were able to come up with a robust solution that I hope solves the problem for affected players.

BisquickBroccoli

11-01-2012

Quote:
If you read my previous posts on the subject, it's *not* a simple solution. While your suggestion is reasonable, how will people discover how to use it? How do we teach people that it is there or make it discoverable? If people can't figure out it exists, it's no different than not fixing the problem. We don't want a solution that quiets posts on the forums because you all know about it, but doesn't solve the problem for all the other people out there.

Also, any solution needs to be something that many locked camera players can adapt to using. If you already don't like managing the camera because it is too cumbersome, is moving your hands off QWER to manipulate arrow keys necessarily better?

Unfortunately, we have many similar problems that we'd like to solve in the UI that affect a much larger part of our player base, which is why we have not been able to work on it yet. The truth is, there are a lot of things we'd like to do and limited resources so we have to try to find the things that have the most impact. For a long time colorblind mode wasn't one of them, despite how crippling it was for a large portion of our players, but we ultimately were able to come up with a robust solution that I hope solves the problem for affected players.
Well I still think my idea is solid. To answer some of your questions "how will players discover how to use it" When I started playing the first thing I did was try to move the camera when it was locked.There is no managing of the camera, when the match starts you set your field of view and that field of view works all over the map. Your Champion would be somewhere in the top right corner and you could adjust if you like.

Anyways thanks alot for the reply you guys will get to it eventually. I got excited too fast thinking we were getting a fix for season 3.

tslm

11-01-2012

Quote:
While your suggestion is reasonable, how will people discover how to use it? How do we teach people that it is there or make it discoverable? If people can't figure out it exists, it's no different than not fixing the problem.
put it in one of those fancy new messages that pop up at the start of every game

Amariithynar

11-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstoned View Post
IMO, the best way to get more people to use an unlocked camera, is allowing players to zoom out more, 25-50% more. The problem for me is mostly using skill shots with a long aiming arrow/range.

When playing unlocked during play, if I'm moving away from an enemy champion, but wish to aim/use a long skill shot the opposite way my champ is moving, if I accidently get 1 pixel too close to the screen edge with my cursor while aiming, I'm borked. (lux is a good example I find). I lose my champion from the screen, and my camera view is thrown way off.

Scroll out more. Really it's my only complaint with the game, because it seems so easy to remedy. My guess is the most zoomed out view would be the new "normal" and would make the game look less nice in screenshots/video and detract from the cool looking champs and skins, and your marketing department doesn't want the game to look less pretty.
this has been my complaint since day one. I want to zoom out more- not much more, just more than current so it doesn't feel so stiflingly close.

betatrash

11-01-2012

i believe the simplest 'workaround' is just to add a 'hold to offset' button. similar to holding a button to pan the camera, except when the button is released, the camera will lock at that 'offset' to the player location. possibly even make this the same key as 'pan camera' in unlocked mode. so you can 'pan locked' as it were. and when you release pan, it just locks at the given offset.

ie: camera is locked, hold button to pan, release button and camera locks at offset. you can worry about the tutorial later ;o

this doesn't change any of the current functionality. in fact, if it's the same button as pan, people will 'discover' this functionality rather quickly :\

just make sure the 'lock camera' binding centers the offset again, so you don't get disoriented.

center camera on champion does what it has always done.