Locked Camera Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-23-2012

Sounds like an excellent solution to me, Gnu.

To make it very simple... keep the center camera function exclusive to space bar, rather then also incorporating it into the locked camera toggle, Y.

Currently, toggling Y also re-centers. Remove that, and players can now lock the camera whereever they want it.

Kari Arisu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelligerentGnu View Post
Hi Boourns,

This post make take a few edits to get the ASCII right, please bear with me

So I was reading through the discussion here, and it occured to me that the basis of the 'locked camera' problem boils down to where the champion is centered. So what about an option that lets you adjust where your character 'rests' on the locked screen?

I'll demonstrate.

Current locked camera screen, featuring Teemo:

|~~~~~~~~~|
|__________|

(more or less)

Now, imagine you're a locked camera player. You sign into a game. Oh Noes! You're purple. Never fear. You walk to lane, and at your tower, press and hold a button marked "adjust locked camera." You scroll your mouse to the bottom left, and your screen (slowly) pans from the above screen to this:

|~~~~~~~~~|
|__________|

Now your field of view is roughly equal to your southwest and northeast, thanks to camera angle and depth of field. You release the "adjust locked camera" button. Your screen now remains this way for the rest of the game, or until:

Oh Noes! A teamfight is breaking out, and the new off-center center that was so useful in lane is now a real problem. No worries! You just tap another button, labeled "restore locked camera centering" or some such, and boom, your screen re-centers itself on Teemo. Problem solved, and you can always re-adjust as necessary.

Seems like it would be a good middle ground for people who don't like the default locked camera view all the time, but also don't want to have to constantly adjust their view while they try to play.

Edit: an even simpler way to deal with this would be to make the second screen an alternative locked camera view. As in, two options for locked camera players: Locked Camera (Normal), and Locked Camera (Purple). Personally I like the custom-movable version better though.
Would pay for this.

Siebzhen

10-24-2012

I for one cant play unlocked. I've tried and tried and tried since 1996 just cant do it. I do unlock my camera when i am dead to look around but as soon as i am playing again its right back to locked.

Issues:
1. Purple team. bottom lane and mid lane i can't see people that should be in my field of view because they are off of my monitor by a full 2 inches. I can switch to a non widescreen ratio to help a little bit but i then have the same problem with my Horizontal. So in order to play the game and have the same ability to play as blue team I have to constantly switch between resolutions.
Result is i lose way more purple team games than blue.

2. Resolution faults. I have tested this with a friend if i am on 1440x900 i can not see someone with in the normal sight range if they are below me. If me and my friend were to switch places i would be able to see him with out a problem. Why is there so much of a vision gap in wide screen?
This places the purple team at a remarkable disadvantage early game (if playing locked).
bottom lane if pushed against their tower will not be able to see blue team other than on the mini map. Meaning they are unable to attack blue with out pushing out bast the turret and putting them self in huge danger.

3. Solution. there are two ways i can see this being adjusted to make if fair for both teams.
#1 Zoom level. a simple fix of allowing us to zoom out to actually see more would fix the issue. We all ready have Fog of War so what exactly makes it such an issue to not allow us to zoom out to see our whole viewable area.

#2 Change the X-Y Axis that Purple views the game from. Right now the game is set so everyone views the game from -7 to 0 on the X Axis and 0 to 7 on the Y Axis. Blue teams fountian is located at -7,0 XY while Purple team is at 0,7 XY. the Solution change the View point so purple views the map the same way that blue does meaning they now see Purples base at -7,0 XY and Blue Teams base at 0,7 XY

Current: View area as it is now.
B~~~~~~~~

Keep Blues Vantage point the same as above. Change Purples so the see it the same way
Example:
~~~~~~~~~~
P~~~~~~~~~

This will solve the issue for the most part as both teams will have the same advantage and disadvantage view point wise.

All in all this make LoL totaly unplayable for me on Purple team, but easy as hell to play on the Blue team.... and i will be no longer spending any money until there is a fix for this.
It's just not fun when 50% of the time im at such a disadvantage. This isn't me crying or laying out an ultimatum.

And to say it again I am unable to play 99% of RTS games on the market due to unlocked camera's. The only one ive ever been able to play is Supreme Commander because you were able to zoom all the way out and see the entire map from a space/tactical map view.
I have tried and failed to be able to do this since the mid 90's.

KesslerCOIL

10-26-2012

I've given up on SR.
I only play TT and Dominion now.
Until SR is more pleasant for someone like me, who plays Locked, i refuse to play SR ever again.

WalktoEarth

10-26-2012

Locked and unlocked camera should be an option all the time so people can decide how to play. The only thing i will add to this is the possibility to rotate the camera but thats another topic.

Kalafai

10-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
...What I can also tell you is that there is only a small difference in win rate for locked camera players on the purple side. It is a small fraction of the difference in blue/purple win rate that we see for unlocked players, but statistically significant...
Are we talking small fractions like 1/3rd to 1/5th locked camera to total purple side disadvantage? I know those are pretty huge numbers, but would like to clear up if it's harsh on team performance that way or other factors are bigger in it.

EgyAnubis

10-27-2012

are we going to see any changes about this any time soon, because people been taking about this for long time now and nothing changed.

Sparkling Jarate

10-28-2012

I play with a locked camera when I'm on blue; unlocked on purple. Otherwise, I unlock during death.

EgyAnubis

10-28-2012

I don't have fun at all when I play on purple with locked camera because some times I don't see the other champs coming, and I tried too many times to play unlocked but I can't do it. I hope they do somthing about it soon

ScrawnyWhiteKid

10-30-2012

I just noticed this Thread, and it was made over 6 months ago; yet no changed have been made in-game. I was just wondering if you could say how close you are to putting screen-lock changes in to the game?

Also: I reeeeally like the idea of being able to hold the space bar to unlock the screen. I am glad that you guys are making changes to screen-lock since you are at such a big disadvantage while playing with it.