Locked Camera Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-15-2012

I've been practicing my unlocked camera, and I really do find it lacking - I have to constantly re-adjust it to give a good view, even in laning, and it's easy to lose track of myself, although not so much as it used to be, so maybe that will continue to improve. Even with the re-centering option, it's disconcerting to center myself and immediately lose that center is I continue to move.

I look forward to the changes boourns mentioned.

ManlyTeemo

10-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
No sample of data will be 100% accurate, but the uncertainty is acceptable for decision making purposes in this case.

Also, if you're playing with it locked almost all the time, then odds are you have it locked at the end of the game.
I very much appreciate that the staff is finally taking the time to address one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) flaws in the game.

Thank you for pushing on this.

BisquickBroccoli

10-16-2012

@Boourns

Im a screen lock player and have been for years. My idea would be allowing to lock your champion anywhere on screen. After you center lock use the arrow keys to set up where you want your feild of view and your good to go. Not sure if this is cheap or quick to implement but what do you think?

Ethaneus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-20-2012

Why can't we have an option to flip the HUD? It would help a lot, even though its not the best solution.

Sacred Sleep

10-21-2012

HuD Adjustments, Camera Adjustments, or one of this for purple team's view only please.

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l1...cs/Mirrord.png

Apocalypse Cow

10-21-2012

One thing to keep in mind with the stats- take it across all of LoL- not just summoners rift. I know a few people that have completely given up on summoners rift instead of adjusting. They now do exclusively TT and Dom. A couple stopped playing entirely.

Haters can hate- but some people play a game to have fun- and if learning unlocked isn't fun for them, they'll play something else.

One more thing- if pigs fly, hell freezes over, and we get mirrored mode- give the lanes a colored flag or something in each mode- so instead of top or bot people can call black or white- just an idea.

boourns

UI Designer

10-23-2012
63 of 82 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlMaximus View Post
One thing to keep in mind with the stats- take it across all of LoL- not just summoners rift. I know a few people that have completely given up on summoners rift instead of adjusting. They now do exclusively TT and Dom. A couple stopped playing entirely.

Haters can hate- but some people play a game to have fun- and if learning unlocked isn't fun for them, they'll play something else.

One more thing- if pigs fly, hell freezes over, and we get mirrored mode- give the lanes a colored flag or something in each mode- so instead of top or bot people can call black or white- just an idea.
The lanes are colored already, you just didn't notice... it's reasons like this that make it unlikely we would allow mirror mode, I've discussed this extensively in previous posts. There's a handy dandy red post browser on the top right of my posts.

The stats are for SR, but Dominion and TT both don't have problems with locked camera players having a weak side since they play left-right. SR stats are the right ones to have since that is where the problem is.

Arcticfury

10-23-2012

So wouldn't making SR left to right fix the problem? Make the map a diamond rather than a square?

Fox P McCloud

10-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
The lanes are colored already, you just didn't notice... it's reasons like this that make it unlikely we would allow mirror mode, I've discussed this extensively in previous posts. There's a handy dandy red post browser on the top right of my posts. .
What does someone not noticing the lanes are not colored have to do with mirror mode?

Continuing on; if mirror mode is "opt-in", isn't it on the own person's head if it generates "confusion" (likewise, isn't it also just as likely that those that may be confused, at first, by their own choice will get used to it after a while?)

If you want to experiment with this, why not try it on something that doesn't have a huge impact....like Proving Grounds; that way, the technology is there to do it on SR (albeit, the flipped version of SR would have to be re-constructed), you can gather data on its popularity, and you can determine (to a much lesser degree albeit) if it causes any issues with players who do opt-in to using mirror mode.

BelligerentGnu

10-23-2012

Hi Boourns,

This post make take a few edits to get the ASCII right, please bear with me

So I was reading through the discussion here, and it occured to me that the basis of the 'locked camera' problem boils down to where the champion is centered. So what about an option that lets you adjust where your character 'rests' on the locked screen?

I'll demonstrate.

Current locked camera screen, featuring Teemo:

|~~~~~~~~~|
|__________|

(more or less)

Now, imagine you're a locked camera player. You sign into a game. Oh Noes! You're purple. Never fear. You walk to lane, and at your tower, press and hold a button marked "adjust locked camera." You scroll your mouse to the bottom left, and your screen (slowly) pans from the above screen to this:

|~~~~~~~~~|
|__________|

Now your field of view is roughly equal to your southwest and northeast, thanks to camera angle and depth of field. You release the "adjust locked camera" button. Your screen now remains this way for the rest of the game, or until:

Oh Noes! A teamfight is breaking out, and the new off-center center that was so useful in lane is now a real problem. No worries! You just tap another button, labeled "restore locked camera centering" or some such, and boom, your screen re-centers itself on Teemo. Problem solved, and you can always re-adjust as necessary.

Seems like it would be a good middle ground for people who don't like the default locked camera view all the time, but also don't want to have to constantly adjust their view while they try to play.

Edit: an even simpler way to deal with this would be to make the second screen an alternative locked camera view. As in, two options for locked camera players: Locked Camera (Normal), and Locked Camera (Purple). Personally I like the custom-movable version better though.