Locked Camera Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

L3tt3r5

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-09-2012

What if you could just flip the map? For example, fixed players like myself have no problem using lux or ezreal on blue even with the long ult shots its easy to press y ult and lock back on. But, on the ever so dreaded purple side you can't do anything. Would it ever be possible to flip the map for both team so it appears you are always on blue?

Sereg Anfaug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-09-2012

"To be honest, I didn't know people played with locked camera, and I wouldn't want one of those players on my team. I spend a lot of time checking on the other lanes, looking around my own lane, keeping good view of entire team fights, etc. A teammate who has essentially "muted" map awareness is a scary thought to me."

At least I can see the area around my champion, unlike an unlocked player, who always sees much less of a certain direction then a locked camera player. What's that? You have a minimap, so your map awareness is just fine? I have one of those too. I haven't muted my map awareness by playing locked - rather, I've increased it in the most vital area. I will never fall to a gank that comes from within my champion's vision range, and I will never lose myself in a teamfight due to being displaced or other wise having the fight relocate. I will never miss a CS or a critical skillshot because I was moving my camera back to where I could see the action.

Locked camera does not, inherently, provide a disadvantage - rather, it has many advantages over unlocked. The only disadvantage it has is forced on it by the awkward camera angle. So let's not make any claims of "disservicing" anyone by correcting a flaw with the map.

Edit - Also this: "In effect you cut your screen into 1/4th the size since unlocked you can check your surroundings in 4 directions while keeping yourself on screen in a different corner of the screen. I wish there were a way to see how often people die to ganks both locked and unlocked. "

This is why people have proposed increasing the max zoom. Why see four times the screen one screen at a time over several seconds when you could see it all at once? Bearing in mind that, while you're focused on any one of those quadrants, a threat can appear in any of the other three and get a hell of alot closer then it would if you simply locked your camera? Again, you have a minimap so that's not a problem - so do I.

I Found Baron

10-09-2012

I think new players should have a message in the bot right like in dominion for their first couple games incase they get rid of it on accident the first one that tells them about their camera being locked and if they would like to change it.

gnfnrf

10-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
I'm still waiting for a more detailed report, and as another poster says, the fix was unreliable pre-Jayce for some reason. The early data had problems with it so we couldn't draw any conclusions (i.e. lockedcamera + unlocked usage was > 100%!).
It's been 2 1/2 months, so I'm hoping the data wonks have gotten you the info by now.

Is there any update on an accurate count of locked players, and/or a plan for implementing any changes to the lock mechanic?

Best Atheist NA

10-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnfnrf View Post
It's been 2 1/2 months, so I'm hoping the data wonks have gotten you the info by now.

Is there any update on an accurate count of locked players, and/or a plan for implementing any changes to the lock mechanic?
I believe on the previous page boourns discussed this. They do have new data.

Best Atheist NA

10-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereg Anfaug View Post
"To be honest, I didn't know people played with locked camera, and I wouldn't want one of those players on my team. I spend a lot of time checking on the other lanes, looking around my own lane, keeping good view of entire team fights, etc. A teammate who has essentially "muted" map awareness is a scary thought to me."

At least I can see the area around my champion, unlike an unlocked player, who always sees much less of a certain direction then a locked camera player. What's that? You have a minimap, so your map awareness is just fine? I have one of those too. I haven't muted my map awareness by playing locked - rather, I've increased it in the most vital area. I will never fall to a gank that comes from within my champion's vision range, and I will never lose myself in a teamfight due to being displaced or other wise having the fight relocate. I will never miss a CS or a critical skillshot because I was moving my camera back to where I could see the action.

Locked camera does not, inherently, provide a disadvantage - rather, it has many advantages over unlocked. The only disadvantage it has is forced on it by the awkward camera angle. So let's not make any claims of "disservicing" anyone by correcting a flaw with the map.

Edit - Also this: "In effect you cut your screen into 1/4th the size since unlocked you can check your surroundings in 4 directions while keeping yourself on screen in a different corner of the screen. I wish there were a way to see how often people die to ganks both locked and unlocked. "

This is why people have proposed increasing the max zoom. Why see four times the screen one screen at a time over several seconds when you could see it all at once? Bearing in mind that, while you're focused on any one of those quadrants, a threat can appear in any of the other three and get a hell of alot closer then it would if you simply locked your camera? Again, you have a minimap so that's not a problem - so do I.

Well said. As a locked camera user myself, I always felt like I was playing with a handicap, and in all honesty, I shouldn't. Locked camera is an -OPTION- in this game, but with lack of full support. I seriously don't know how an unlocked player can react to be being grabbed, for example, by an unsuspecting Blitzcrank hiding in a bush. Depending where your champion is on your screen, you're going to be fast enough to re-center your camera and possibly use one of your get-away abilities if applicable?

I'm thankful that we're getting some promising updates from the HUD team, but they can't come soon enough. It's not much fun queueing up for a game while quietly thinking to yourself, "Please not purple side, please not purple side". I should be EXCITED to get into a new game, and not have to worry about something so mundane as what side of the map I'm on. It's just crazy that something so small can affect the gameplay so much for me.

Apocalypse Cow

10-12-2012

I do a hybrid of locked and unlocked- but mostly run locked- and have a few good reasons why- which I will state below for those that are interested.

A simple fix would be to be able to adjust the center of the camera. For example if I want to have a locked camera as purple mid- I can lock it with myself in the upper right corner. Being able to save a few center positions and cycle through them would be even cooler.

This wont solve the worlds problems- but it would definitely appease me.

As a side note- though completely discombobulating at first- Bloodline champions has my favorite camera ever.

REASONS that I like to lock the camera when possible (not for everyone):

First of all I crossed over from action rpgs- not DOTA/RTS so at first a locked camera was definitely more natural. The reason it is locked for action rpgs- is a locked camera makes very twitch gameplay much easier when there is a lot of other **** going on- because you never lose track of yourself.

But most importantly- the reason I like a locked camera, is that I have my QWER mapped by default to smartcast- and with a locked camera it is easy for me to remember exactly how far my skillshots are, and what the ranges of my abilities are.

I have also found that using the mini map as a rearview mirror instead of constantly scanning around the map has been beneficial to my play- I notice little things my friends miss.

I also spend most of my time tanking- and have found that with a locked camera I do a lot less stupid stuff (for example there are very few times when you should Malphite ult off of your locked screen (your team simply wont be there for it and you end up killing yourself)- but if I sense one of those times coming I unlock my camera.

That said there are plenty of times even for me that unlocked is necessary- so I made my spacebar mapped to lock/unlock- instead of just center

I'm not a spectacular player by any means- but got into the 1600 solo elo range in season 1, and after taking a year off got to 1500 in the last couple of weeks (in ~30 games)- so it is possible not to suck completely with a locked camera. That said, I would probably be a better player if unlocked felt more natural.

gnfnrf

10-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutcup View Post
I believe on the previous page boourns discussed this. They do have new data.
Ummm...

I swear that wasn't there when I posted.

Honest.

Or I'm an idiot.

Sorry, Boourns, for badgering you for something you've already given.

IggyDaDino

10-14-2012

This is 2012 and the UI should be fully customizable and the zoom should be likewise. The new edits have made the game dizzying to my head as well as made it mostly unplayable.

Best Atheist NA

10-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggyDaDino View Post
This is 2012 and the UI should be fully customizable and the zoom should be likewise. The new edits have made the game dizzying to my head as well as made it mostly unplayable.
I do agree that the UI needs to be fully customizable, but since this game is an eSport with worldwide followers, its probably hard to make changes without lengthy testing, but who knows. Maybe by Christmas we'll have a solution to help the locked players.. what a gift that would be.