Locked Camera Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Reynmaker

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Actually lower resolutions still see the same amount of the game world.
Not if you're 16:10 you don't. Bigger screen ? see less map.

Nicplaylol

08-24-2012

All quotes are from boourns.

Quote:
My perception is that people don't use free camera because it is an extra thing to manage. I would prefer to help people overcome that.
Of course helping people overcome this is a great idea but people need to be able to
adjust in their own time. Having something artificially force that along is not a good thing.

Quote:
Unfortunately with a fixed camera you're always going to have to sacrifice vision range in one part of the screen for another and you're regularly going to run into cases where the wrong part got sacrificed. I agree that on purple side this happens more often at the bottom of the screen, but if we corrected this we could seriously screw you if you loop around a teamfight from the bottom/blue side.
Shouldn't this be up to player choice as to which way they're affected?

Quote:
Having seen the stats on locked camera usage it's a very small number of people. I would not consider impeding communication or making our *entire* community change how they refer to things in the game a good fix for this issue.
This error of communication thing. After thinking about it more it would only create
potential issues for the people CHOOSING to use the flip and therefore the burden
of fixing up the confusion and relearning orientation and where things are would be up to
them and in no way affect anybody else's game. If I choose to flip the camera and
suddenly my top becomes bot and vice versa and I have to call it how it relates to
the standard camera view, I'll adapt. Sounds pretty sweet right? Correct me
if I'm wrong.

Another idea: What if in games people got to preselect, if they desire, which team they
are on, blue or purple? Since this issue apparently affects only a small amount of locked
on camera people and seemingly the unlocked wouldn't care which team they (assuming
they don't prefer a colour just for the sake of it) are on then this would also solve this issue
with, I'm guessing, very little actual change to the game. Just a small option that a player
could tick if they wanted to be able to choose teams AND since we are such a small
contingent it would barely even affect the amount of time on blue/purple team an unlocked
player would experience leaving it still close to 50/50 if that's important to some people.

All these options and I still just like the simple HUD swap to the top of the screen. Surely
ONE of the options can be easily enough implemented. For my sake anyway cause I
really want to play.

This post needs more colour so here are some random smilies;

Best Atheist NA

08-24-2012

Quote:
Unfortunately with a fixed camera you're always going to have to sacrifice vision range in one part of the screen for another and you're regularly going to run into cases where the wrong part got sacrificed.
This is where I've always disagreed. Its not that locked camera is the real issue, its locked camera on purple side only. The problem lies with the map angle. I play perfectly fine with locked camera on blue side.

Nicplaylol

08-25-2012

Quote:
This is where I've always disagreed. Its not that locked camera is the real issue, its locked camera on purple side only. The problem lies with the map angle. I play perfectly fine with locked camera on blue side.
I sort of disagree with this. It's not exactly the map angle but the placement of the HUD. If
the HUD were placed to the top of the screen then purple would have the exact same
advantages as blue.

And I sort of think the community/developers do not want you to play with a locked camera
because you get automatically labelled as a terrible player no matter how skilled you actually
may be.

Best Atheist NA

08-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicplaylol View Post
I sort of disagree with this. It's not exactly the map angle but the placement of the HUD. If
the HUD were placed to the top of the screen then purple would have the exact same
advantages as blue.

And I sort of think the community/developers do not want you to play with a locked camera
because you get automatically labelled as a terrible player no matter how skilled you actually
may be.
I shrank my HUD down to the point where I can barely see my action buttons, so I don't think its a HUD-placement issue. Its the fact that on blue side, the camera is behind your character whilst looking ahead, and on purple side, the camera is facing your champ, with everything you need to attack off your screen.

Fat Ninja

08-28-2012

It's been said before, and is quoted in your original post.

Having the option to lock your camera relative to your champion seems like a good idea to me.

You said that this would screw you if you came into a team fight from the wrong direction.

But if you made it a toggle, seperate from Y, obviously (Y would still lock camera on champion and spacebar would reset unlocked camera to champion)

Say it was unlock camera, move it somewhere and click "U" (Cause I don't think U does anything.) And the camera is now locked with your champion always in the far top right of your camera, but you could click Y to recenter / stay locked, or click spacebar for it to jump directly on to your champion. And clicking U again would simply unlock the camera.

I don't know how difficult the option would be to impliment into the game, but I don't see it doing any harm. I would assume your average locked camera player would simply click Y as they approach a team fight from the "Wrong side", and your typical locked camera player is now entering this team fight with the same view they normally do.

I'm a locked camera player, and I know the option to lock your camera relative to your champion position would help my laning, and my poking before team fights greatly.

The reason I don't player unlocked.. Well.. Maybe I played too much Zelda growing up, I like my champion in the center of my screen. The thing is I can react quicker to things happening around my champion when it is locked, than I can when it is unlocked. I'm sure this problem is fixed with practice, but for me, playing camera unlocked is just too much of a PITA.

I saw you said something about moving the camera with WASD, that's something I may have to try, because one of my main problems is moving the camera with my mouse, then having to move it back from the edge of the screen into the action, then moving the camera again.

Anyways, I tend to ramble, sorry about that. Point is, a camera that can be locked onto my champion's general position or whatever would be awesome. So long as it is a seperate key than the standard champ locked in center.

MGPNZL

08-29-2012

this --> http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2369285
helps alot tbh

supister

08-30-2012

If there is a feeling that purple has a disadvantage because they lose action at the bottom of the screen, why not provide a mirror mode? Simply rotating the map by 180 degrees would not change any of the math, the only thing that would change was the perspective. By keeping it as an option, players could choose the angle of rotation. It could even be such that we can rotate the map while playing.

faxxmachine

08-30-2012

boourns I have a question for you

First I'd like to say I am a fairly new player to LoL. I still mess up, a lot sometimes, but I always try to read successful builds and playstyles so I can be a better player and know each champ at a deeper level.

With that said I still play locked most of the time as I'm trying to learn how to manage the camera and movement. My biggest quarrel is that if we are expected to learn to play with the camera on unlock, why can you only play as blue side for bot games?

I'm really TRYING to learn to play with an unlocked camera since zooming out even an extra 25% is not an option, but I perform worse since I forget my champion stops moving and I'm looking at another area of the map.

Getting the opportunity to play purple side bots would be helpful for everyone and is a simple task to accomplish. This gives players who do not normally play with unlocked to have the chance to unlock and not be yelled at by team mates for feeding.

If you want us to learn give the opportunity for training wheels

jazzanova

09-05-2012

Riot, I think your best bet to get people comfortable with using unlocked camera is to change coop mode so the side your team appears on is random. It'll be no doubt the easiest thing you can do to help fix this problem. It's not like you'd have to reprogram bots to be able to play blue side too since they can do it in custom mode already.

EDIT: I didn't even see the post above this one before making it.