Locked Camera Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Best Atheist NA

08-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthonaxx View Post
Ha, I am one of those people.
I am too Hate purple side.

SevYveS

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-03-2012

Ive been playing on locked screen pretty much since I've started and tried free camera for a while...using locked screen is usually not a problem to me unless I'm on purple team, though I'm quite good at skills shots even when the enemy is hidden behind the HUD or i have to get off locked screen so I am able to using a global ult if needed.

I think to counter these locked screen biases (mainly purple team) when in game would be to make the HUD translucent enough to be able to see it and the environment...the HUD would be visible enough to read and also allowing players to view what's behind.

IS1f48700f529fbcca97996

08-04-2012

@ Quote #12
What if you could press a key to direct the camera to the center of mass, and the camera movement will cancel as soon as you control it.

Another idea could be that the camera partly locks to where you moved it last, and will try to keep your champion in the screen, but will always follow the cursor before it hits the edge.
There's no snapback when you move the camera away from the champion, since you already have "Center Camera on Champion."

Trendy Ideology

08-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Can you articulate what you like about locked camera or dislike about free camera that makes you want to sacrifice situational awareness for this experience? Those are things we would want to preserve while still improving on the disadvantages of locked camera.
Flicking the camera is clunky and twitchy, and when I'm trying to aim shots and run around it's really cumbersome to try moving the map constantly along with my champion.

As someone else suggested, it would be nice to lock my camera into any position I want, relative to my champion, i.e. if I lock my champ in the lower left corner, then no matter where I move my champ is "locked" in the lower left corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Flipping the UI will not solve the viewing angle problem otherwise I'd expect people would be happy with a scaled down UI. So we probably wouldn't do an awkward top/bottom flip.

1. Maybe you can explain what you saw in more detail? How is this different than being able to click and drag the minimap view while you're locked to look at something else?

2. Yes, I'm investigating what it will take to make space a true toggle, rather than always locking when you hold space and unlocked on release. That behavior is weird.

Tiny UI is terrible. Tiny UI makes it hard to see anything useful, hard to track my resources, hard to see my money, click buttons, move items, and it STILL gets in the way of clicking and stuff.

Flipping the UI to the top, or giving me total freedom, IN GAME, and ON THE FLY (with a lock toggle?) to move stuff around, is a totally viable and incredibly desirable solution.

You guys may think that it's not a big issue but me and my gf as recent players, and the new players we're actively bringing into the game all think that purple spawn sucks, and that the UI needs to be flipable/moveable.

Also the UI seems to scale really really poorly, and become blurry and unreadable.

Frankly, unless there's a monumental amount of work involved, I would really just like a current Riot Supported method of shifting around my UI.

This is outdated, but did that:
http://wp.phryneas.de/?page_id=2&lang=en

It doesn't work now from what I understand.

I read every one of your posts in this thread, but this is still how I feel:

I do not honestly care about getting the best fix, or the right fix for "everyone" -- I think that until we have a "best" fix or one that works for "everyone" we need a "bandaid" -- just make it something totally optional that doesn't interfere with people that don't want to use it.

For me, that'd be an updated version of this SkinLoL app, officially supported/integrated with LoL. Or something similar. Basically anything that lets me move/scale the UI. Primarily move.

Best Atheist NA

08-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendy Ideology View Post
Flicking the camera is clunky and twitchy, and when I'm trying to aim shots and run around it's really cumbersome to try moving the map constantly along with my champion.
This is exactly the reason I struggle with unlocked camera. The constant flicking of my mouse cursor to the edges of my screen to keep my champion in view is so clunky and awkward for me. People who have played Starcraft or other RTS games probably don't have much of a problem with it, but I'm not an RTS player.

The biggest issue I have is mainly with skill shots, but I also have a hard time with trying to keep my cursor over my target(s), AND keeping the battle in view.

The best solution that I like so far is being able to offset your camera relevant to your champion. So, if you were on the bottom lane of purple side, you could put your champion more on the right side of your screen, since you don't need to be looking behind you as much as you need to look ahead of you.

Best Atheist NA

08-11-2012

bump for camera justice!

Best Atheist NA

08-17-2012

Desperation bump :'(

Can't have this sitting on page 2.

Trendy Ideology

08-19-2012

Really disappointed that boourns was so active in this discussion and hasn't been checking back since pretty much before I started playing.

Kastean

08-20-2012

Ok, so I know a lot of people dont like those who used the locked camera, so I would like to see a guide to use an unlocked camera properly, because I've tried it for a while, and I couldn't get used to it completely, but at the same time, it did help with map awareness, and now im not used to locked camera either, so I basically can't really play the game very well at all...

Nicplaylol

08-23-2012

I am glad I found this thread. It is definitely a discussion worth having and I am very
impressed that a UI designer started it and is replying to it.

I think a solution could be what Anatreptic or myself have suggested. Which is to simply
flip the HUD to the top of the screen. It seems to be an elegant solution to a very emotional
problem.

It allows the exact same advantages as when playing on the blue team without fiddling
around too much with map switching, redoing the camera etc. It should be an option for
people to choose whether or not to have.

I really like it and I hope it is considered for implementation in the near future. I haven't read
the entire thread so I hope I'm not just repeating what someone has already said. If it has a
developer response, please point me to it.