Locked Camera Discussion

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

boourns

UI Designer

05-01-2012
36 of 82 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by llemes View Post
From what I can tell, a lot of people want to be able to zoom out more, move the hud to the top, and flip the map.

You've already stated (probably about 200 times) that it was an internal decision to disallow further zooming out ability for a number of reasons.

Moving the HUD to the top of the screen really doesn't do much. I play with no walls on the bottom, and a very, very small bottom HUD bar (the one with the health, mana, skills, etc), and it doesn't make a lot of difference in terms of visibility. And (because of the angle), moving it to the top would actually hinder more of your vision (granted, this depends on which side you're on, but it would still have a very awkward feeling on the purple side).

Flip the map. This is silly. and there are too many inconsistencies. That's all I really have to say about it.

But, what about allowing users to change the angle that they view the map? Some of the replay programs allow you to change the angle that you're watching from. (Someone mentioned this already and the ups-and-downs, but I think that it might be the start of something...)

Also, instead of wanting to mirror the map, what about allowing a free-flowing camera? for instance, you could set the angle from the ground, and the rotate the map to be oriented in a direction that's more comfortable for you.

Last but not least, spectator mode has this really cool feature where you can track multiple champions at once (The camera moves to keep them both on screen until a certain distance apart), why not implement that? Allow you to target another champion/ward/etc and "lock" the camera to keep you and it in the screen, and then lock back to you once you get out of range (or stay where it is, options are cool).

Just a few ideas that I had. Hope it helps!
Yes, I've talked to the spectator team about using their directed camera algorithm for locked camera. It's something I'd like to explore, but the intent is different so it could be problematic. For someone who is playing I think you would want to keep camera movement very slow so you don't lose track of your champion. Also I believe directed camera does rely on knowledge of "future" events to determine what to focus on because it runs on a delay.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

05-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
Yes, I've talked to the spectator team about using their directed camera algorithm for locked camera. It's something I'd like to explore, but the intent is different so it could be problematic. For someone who is playing I think you would want to keep camera movement very slow so you don't lose track of your champion. Also I believe directed camera does rely on knowledge of "future" events to determine what to focus on because it runs on a delay.
It also removes the aspect of needing to pay attention. If you didn't see the gank coming in from behind you, why should you get the camera to show you it's coming just because you're using locked?

Best Atheist NA

05-02-2012

I don't think directed camera is something I'd want to see as a locked camera user. The camera would constantly be moving around on its own, and that would just be a mess.

I'm not really quite sure what I want to see happen. I'm still just so frustrated to see that I'm on purple side in champ select that I don't even want to play that particular game.

Also, slightly off topic, but do duo/trio queues get put on purple side more often? I've noticed this happening quite often when I queue up with my fiance and another friend of ours. Even my friend can't stand purple side.

Manouso

05-03-2012

I personally play locked camera 99% of the time, I mapped space to toggle so I can keep and eye on other lanes when I need to, but it is far easier for me to play this way.
I've tried to play unlocked, but I play signifigantly worse and die A LOT more. It just disorients me too much and I can't keep track of everything thats going on while also worrying about the camera location.

When I'm on blue I have absolutely no problems with skillshots etc.
When I get purple I either need to play top and fudge my way through once teamfights start or I just dodge.

I don't really care about my elo or take the game super serious as I know I'm a subpar player, but I'm glad this issue is being worked on. I would love the map to be flipped as I think I could grasp the concept of realizing I'm on purple and calling bot top, but I know that's to going to happen and I'm glad that got addressed as well so I don't have that hope in the back of my head haha.
Thanks for looking into this for us locked players.

Also this is what I feel like when I'm on Purple:

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/9457/roadcat.jpg

Kalafai

05-03-2012

Quote:
I'm quite nausious enough without floppycam, thank you very much!

Thought was thinking, if a compleate camera flip is out of the option, how about 90 degrees so you're facing up and left on purple? Few people use left and right notations, and top and bottem will still be solid. I do understand that the map is not in the condition it needs to be for this to happen, but there's still plenty of bugs and inconsistencies that leave it well in need of a rework anyways. Bundling all those together may be an option.

Best Atheist NA

05-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalafai View Post
I'm quite nausious enough without floppycam, thank you very much!

Thought was thinking, if a compleate camera flip is out of the option, how about 90 degrees so you're facing up and left on purple? Few people use left and right notations, and top and bottem will still be solid. I do understand that the map is not in the condition it needs to be for this to happen, but there's still plenty of bugs and inconsistencies that leave it well in need of a rework anyways. Bundling all those together may be an option.
I thought about this, too, but I'm not sure if they can physically do it.

I also think it would only be about a 45 degree clockwise rotation, to make the map horizontal.

Reynmaker

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-04-2012

Quote:
For champions with long range abilities: Kog, Ziggs, Ez, Lux etc. for camera locked users, how about having the camera auto center and follow the targeting guide of the ability ? then snap back to the champ once the ability is triggered. For locked users this could also be a decent way to look ahead without having to unlock the camera.

Best Atheist NA

05-05-2012

Hey Boourns, just a couple quick questions for you, if you still watch this thread. First of all, I'd like to thank you for all of your posts and taking our suggestions into consideration. Its nice to see to this type of customer service and making us feel like our problems DO matter.

Now my first question... is this problem on any "to-do" lists around the office? I know you're still working out the "CameraLock=0" bug that's causing inaccurate data on camera lock usage, but I'm just curious if, at the very least, our problems are being taken seriously around the office. I know for me its a game changing issue, that if I'm stuck on purple side, I can't play the roles I want to play without putting my team at a disadvantage.

I understand that even if you were working on a solution, that you can't give out any ETA's or too much info on it, but it'd be a huge morale boost to hear that something is in the works or even just an acknowledgement from the "camera team" that they're looking into solutions.

My second and last question... do you have any data on blue vs purple win/loss ratios? I always feel like I win most of my games on blue side, and lose most of my purple games, but I don't have any large-scale data that could prove it. Again, I understand that if you DID have such data, that you might not be able to share it because of the possible repercussions that might ensue if one team did have a lop-sided victory ratio, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Any info and/or updates would be awesome!

Thanks again

alaskaneagle

05-05-2012

So..... you work for riot. Do they have any plans to address the issue of the view inequality or at least have some plan to make it easier to see what you are doing?

Something?

Best Atheist NA

05-07-2012

bump for justice