Support Malphite: Viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BoltOfLightning

04-03-2012

I've been playing Malphite almost since I started LoL, usually playing duo bot or solo top (and just started to learn how to jungle with him). Lately when I go bot, I've found that it's better to let my AD carry take all the farm, focus on harrassing and zoning, and rely on items like Philo Stone or Heart of Gold to make up for my lack of farm. I'm still a newb and haven't played enough games to know for sure, but this is just what I see right now.

This has made me wonder whether playing Malphite as a full-on support is viable or not. Is it possible for a Malphite player to go support early game, and how does he compare to more classic supports like Janna or Soraka?

Lerry the Lebster

04-03-2012

Having never seen it, my speculation is... probably not.

What does he really bring as a support? lets examine:
A mediocre movement speed slow
A mediocre attack speed slow
A knock up that he doesn't get until 6 and is on a very high cool down.

Now, let's compare that with a more contemporary support like Janna:
A global movement speed buff
AoE knock up on short cool down
A slow
A shield
An attack damage buff
AoE heal
AoE knock back

Let's try another one like Soraka:
Magic Resistance aura
Magic resistance reduction on enemies
Very powerful single target heal
Armor buff
Silence
Mana return for allies
Global heal

So I definitely don't think he can stand up to some of the more contemporary supports in laning phase. This can be looked over if support malph had a strong late game, but I feel like without last hitting he wouldn't get enough money to be able to take in team fights, making him pretty much just useful for suicide bombing with his ult.

I just don't see the point. You'd be better off having a better support on bottom, and if you want a malph have him in jungle or up top.

The Blu Equine

04-03-2012

the only thing i see wrong with it is he doesn't really have any "support" abilities other than a slow to support your AD pre-6 (blitz has a knockup+grab, nunu has an AS steroid + slow etc etc.) Malphite is good solo top and gp10 items fit nicely into his build so the farm + gp10 items will see you real tanky real fast. thats my opinion but i don't know too much about the game.

Zahalith

04-03-2012

I have played support malphite before

if you have good mana management, his shard hits like a truck to the carries
his poke doubles as a way to save ur carry

it's not bad.. just have to have an excellent ad carry

ADGarner

04-03-2012

I agree with Zahalith. I like to play Malphite in my ranked matches cause he's Rock Solid and I think he has a lot of versatility with his item picks. However in order to put on enough harass to bother a sustain lane you'd probably need to take clarity and still build mana items and take runes to help.

Malphite is not a fantastic zero cs support. If you're looking for inspiration however I'd look at Nunu support.

Very mean ability power harass - Malphite and Nunu share this.
Ability to sustain self in lane. - Malphite instead has his steriod and passive shield.
Great movement and attack speed buff - Malphite instead brings that big attack speed debuff and extra damage.
Crazy scary ultimate - Malphite's ultimate makes people quiver in fear.

As a side benefit because both champions can take a pretty good beating especially from a minion wave they can easily stop the lane to ensure your carry can get all their creep.

Jumquat

04-13-2012

as mentioned before, you have to have a good ad partner in bottom. You also have to be going against another AD champion to take advantage of your armor stacking.
Getting mana and hp 5 talents on top of starting dorans shield gives a lot of poke.damage as well as set up ganks with slow. Once you have ulti, find the right moment to use and feed ad kills.

SavageWolves

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-13-2012

I really like jungle Malphite. A very strong pick against a lot of team comps, especially ones where the only magic damage dealer is the mage from midlane.

ADGarner

04-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageWolves View Post
I really like jungle Malphite. A very strong pick against a lot of team comps, especially ones where the only magic damage dealer is the mage from midlane.
I love jungle Malphite too. Very powerful ganks. However this thread is about support Malphite. (which means low cs ewww!)

SavageWolves

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-13-2012

Well, the logic behind my earlier post is that Malphite is a much better jungler than a support. If you want to support by making the enemy fear damage, pick LeBlanc and destroy anyone who approaches the minions to farm. The things he can give as a support can be done way better by other characters.

ADGarner

04-13-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageWolves View Post
Well, the logic behind my earlier post is that Malphite is a much better jungler than a support. If you want to support by making the enemy fear damage, pick LeBlanc and destroy anyone who approaches the minions to farm. The things he can give as a support can be done way better by other characters.
If you were to lane as an AD carry and you were stuck with Malphite as your lane partner what advice would you give him? Assume that he asks for some and you're up against Sivir + Sona.