Morgana, A serious question.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arizel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-09-2010

Ok, So I have recently gotten enamoured by Morgana's game mechanics and so I have played several games with her with ghost and smite as summoner skills and 9/0/21 masteries.

Every time I play with her like this, the rest of the team starts calling me a noob and proceeds to troll me the rest of the game while they feed and spout negative attitudes the entire game. It is really really disheartening. So to those of you that know Morgana's mechanics and have seriously played her, why is smite viable or not viable? IF it isn't viable, what are YOUR alternatives?

But to even contemplate why I would take smite, I will spit it out to you.

So smite deals magic damage to minions, a large amount of magic damage to minions. Morgana's passive gives her spell vamp that increases to 35 percent by level 15 I believe. Because smite deals magical damage, Morgana's spell vamping abilities proc off of it. Therefore it serves as a 1 minute mini heal that helps her stay in the lane and helps her farm better in addition to all hte other neutral creep stealing capabilities.

In one game I hbought the hexttech gun in mid game, and was never harassed bad enough to leave a lane, or a team fight before its conlusion. I woudl literally go into battle, lose maybe half my HP if it gets really hairy, then regain almost half of that back by smiting something then continue the fight.

I have been in situational situations where I was fleeing from an enemy through the jungle with little hp only to smite something, gain hp, turn around and proceed to go with my keyboard roll combo.

The Jacobian

08-09-2010

My problem with you taking smite is that Morg is already a BEAST farmer. Instead of smiting one creep, killing it. throw your little soil thing under 6 creeps, killing all of them. Plus, there's a cost to taking smite. The cost is you don't have ANOTHER summoner spell. You are losing a kill that exhaust might get you, you are losing the utility of ignite preventing healing, you are getting ganked because you didn't take CV.

Also, I generally dislike Hextech, but that's another story :P.

TheTruhan

08-09-2010

Interesting concept of the use of smite on Morgana. Though you have to elaborate more why you are actually being called a noob by your teammates. From how I see it, my guess would be because you're taking Smite on Morgana. While your concept has its positives in that it helps you in certain ways, I don't recommend getting it on Morgana as because you're filling in a Summoner Spell slot for something that is very self-centered, meaning it benefits for you only. While Morgana is simply categorized as a 'support'. Even taking an Ignite over Smite is a better team-fulfilling Summoner Spell on Morgana as because you support your team by dealing that extra damage that might just give you an Ace which benefits your team of course.

Personally I run Ghost+Ignite. I used to think that Flash would be so great on Morgana for a sudden Ult, but I was dead wrong. It simply makes you(Morgana) being the center of rape face-steamrolling-keyboard mashing target thus I took Ghost, which gives you more mobility and I think is overall better for Morgana. Ignite is simply for that extra damage ready in your arsenal, very useful and effective really in getting kills when you're faced in a 2v1 predicament. Some people get Clarity, Clairvoyance, Exhaust etc etc but only once I have seen a Morgana taken Smite and it didn't really mean much in my eyes according to that particular game. So there's my insight on the Summoner Spells that are appropriate for Morgana. Take Smite as you wish if you feel much comfortable with it then anything else. Though I would strongly suggest you to change to something else more team beneficial.

Hope this helps.

Arizel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-09-2010

thanks for all your input. I will consider it when I play Morgana in the future.

Nivled

08-09-2010

I've about 15+ games with Morgana. The best summoner spell combination I've had (for a superior laning phase) is clarity + teleport. I've never left lane for more than 10 secs during laning phase as a 1v1 or 1v2.

Improved Clarity is also a boon during team fights when your teammates are using their mana quickly.

Teleport loses it's functionality end game though.

Another option is Ghost/Clarity. Ghost + Black Shield = "Get out of jail free" card. But a carefully played Morgana should not be caught in compromising positions.

The last "pro" option (I have yet to try this myself) is Clairvoyance / Clarity. If you can time your recalls properly, you lose at most 1 single creep wave per recall. Clairvoyance is a boon in team fights and ganks (esp at golems/dragons/barons etc)

~ Nivled

Edit:
Nowadays I build my Morgana as an AP build with zhonya's ring. Nothing beats tossing your Q and W into a team fights, tossing a E on yourself, wading in, ulting, then activating Zhonya's Ring. When you come out of invul, your R should be stunning soon. Flash might be a good initiation spell in this case.

Firrox

08-09-2010

Smite is garbage on morgana. You have an AOE spell that farms like crazy for you. I go flash/clarity and ignite. ignite almost always ensures a kill and flash helps you position yourself for your ult to hit as many people as possible. Clarity is more for helping your team with mana while keeping you spamming your abilties.

Smite does nothing for you it is trash, unless you jungle don't get smite and morgana is not a jungle hero.

NAMBLA Pig

08-09-2010

I'll echo what others have said: Smite may have a nice synergy with her passive, but you really don't need it at all. It's much better to take other spells. I always start Morg with a mana crystal and 2 health pots. The health pots help me maintain my HP until my AOE does enough damage to minion waves (around level 5, level 3 AOE) to maintain my HP. I rush catalyst and use improved clarity, and between those I can basically spam my AOE on every minion wave and get TONS of farm. Throw in ghost for escapability/chasing with your ult and you have a very well rounded support/carry.

TLDR: you can get all the healing you need from your AOE and take much more useful summoner spells

yellowfrog

08-09-2010

Run Ghost/Ignite.

To run smite as a mini heal is not worth it. When you wipe out creep waves with 1 soil, you don't need to use smite.

If you're able to smite a minion to clear a shot for your bind, then you are a far better player than I at micro.

Clarity is good for early/mid game but no good late once mana pool is built up and mp5 runes are in full effect.

Mana management is important early/mid game. I dont throw out too many binds for harassment, just focus on last hitting by positioning soils where it hits the most creep and the enemy.

Mana becomes a problem sometimes in a 2v1 lane or in mid facing a pusher like heim that is running clarity or teleport.

Ignite is almost necessary I think to be able to kill in laning phase. I always run it but I think it'd be hard to kill without it.

malphismia

08-09-2010

maybe Morgana jungle? lol

To those saying it's useless because soil can wipe out creeps late-game, smite usually is useless on every champ late-game except for nash/dragon steals.

A 300 heal every minute at level 18 is not bad, a 60 heal at level 1 is not bad either. Smite also helps you get golem, which is basically clarity but better. I would say its a solid choice only if you like controlling dragon and jungle buffs .

Mente

Recruiter

08-09-2010

Smite is viable for Morgana, but not for any of the reasons mentioned in this thread. It has a hidden trick:

You're in a lane against a tough opponent. Getting a snare off on them seems absolutely impossible, they keep a creep or two in front of them at all times, and as that creep gets low they move to another creep. If you could just get that snare off, you'd be able to kill them. But wait! You have smite. Get between them and perhaps the large cannon creep. Send off your skillshot, Smite the creep before the shot gets to it, and BAM - Enemy stunned. Proceed to shield, ult, and place a soil.

Yes, I could have explained that much more simply, but I'm bored. =]. This use, combined with the extra farming, makes smite viable on Morgana. However, I still prefer flash because it allows the same result, and provides an extra escape mechanism.

Having over 150 wins with morgana, I will also say that my favorite setup is flash/ignite. Ghost gives them too much time to react, you usually don't have time to cast exhaust before you ult (for the magic pen), A good player really shouldn't need clarity on morgana, Cleanse is a nice option but in the early game your shield is plenty and in late game you should have zhonya's anyways. Teleport would be my third favorite for the extra kills...and the rest are meh.

Edit: Well I just realized one other person has already mentioned this smite tactic. Oh well