Ezreal Q's runes/build/

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HighJynx

10-07-2012

ok so Ezreal is my best champ. my runes page is good but i have been told to switch my Attack dmg runes for Armor penatraion ( i have tier 3 of course). should i switch to armor pen or stick with att dmg. second in late games after i build zeal, bloodthirstier, boots, what next? last whisperer? infinity edge?

TwistWrist

10-07-2012

Wait....are you rushing Trinity Force by going Zeal first?

Don't do that. Really, the Sheen and Phage are the parts of Trinity Force that are useful to Ez. Even then, I would only get one of those and then go straight into Bloodthirster. Generally a better use of gold.

Straight Trinity Force rush isn't that strong. A Sheen and a Bloodthirster is about the same gold but far better for your damage output.

And yes, your remaining items should be Last Whisper, Infinity Edge, and a defensive item. Though not in a set order.

LegendaryLemur

10-07-2012

I'm no expert, but i believe a lot of ezreal's early game harass comes from his W. Considering that his W, E, and R all deal only magic damage i find it hard to believe that arm pen runes are a good idea.

I'd stick with flat AD (W and E don't scale with AD either, but i'd just keep them for last hittiing, since your late game burst damage isn't really going to be helped that much by the armor pen and the AD will help your ult damage)

Abdelazar

10-07-2012

Well, if you're having trouble last hitting stay with flat ad. If you're looking to harass more in lane go armor pen. Armor pen = aggressive lane; Flat AD = farm lane. In general though, I'd go with flat ad probably (personal preference mostly.)

Trinity first is good for more mid-game, while bloodthirster is more if you want to scale into late. But ya, like the guy above said, get phage first probably (maybe sheen). I'd probably prefer getting a trinity first over a sheen and a bloodthirster or a phage then a bloodthirster because the phage is nice for a variety of reasons (slow proc, health for lane, etc.) and the sheen gives nice damage. (Get a vamp scepter but not necessarily a bloodthirster if you need sustain. I'd probably finish the bloodthirster after my trinity.)

If nobody is building armor on the other team (which they often don't at lower levels), you might not need a last whisper. In that case, something like an infinity edge or a defensive item (quicksilver sash for heavy cc and banshee's for annoying burst and health/mana.) Usually games would have ended by now, but just grab things like phantom dancer and elixirs and stuff.

The item choice is situational, but in general, I'd probably get a triforce first, then a bloodthirster if you need sustain in lane and sustained damage or an infinity edge if you're looking for burst in teamfights. Then some kind of defensive item and go from there.

TwistWrist

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdelazar View Post
Trinity first is good for more mid-game
Except it isn't a good mid-game.

Comparing Trinity versus Sheen + Bloodthirster and assume it is a level 10 Ezreal.

Roughly 39 more damage on a Trinity Force proc versus a Sheen proc. But Bloodthirster has about 30 more AD at minimum and 70 AD if you are farming it up.

Realistically, the damage on your Q between the two is roughly the same or better with Bloodthirster + Sheen.

Plus, the flat AD is better because Ezreal does have to autoattack a bit. You will just end up doing more damage in trades.

Can you play Ezreal by only kiting with your Q so you never have to autoattack? Sure, but you aren't really fulfilling the role of the AD Carry anymore. Though I'm pretty sure your Q damage would still be better with Sheen + Bloodthirster.

And if you are really good at farming, then Phage + Bloodthirster does comparable Q damage to Trinity Force rush. And of course better damage if autoattacking.

Ultimately, the problem with a Trinity Force rush is that the Zeal component really doesn't give useful stats. Your Q can't crit and your autoattacks still won't do much damage with so little AD.

Maybe you can do a Phage + Sheen + BF sword path or something... But straight Trinity Force rush isn't better sustained damage or poke damage. And not very useful for teamfights as an AD Carry.

Actually, now that I think about Phage + BF Sword is under 3k gold and gives 63 AD, the health, and the slow proc...maybe a Sheen + Phage + BF thing can work. Limits your Doran's though if you also want a Vamp Scepter.

ACOCACMO

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-07-2012

I play ez as a straight up ad carry. I always get a bloodthirster as my first major item. The reason for this is that you can start building up stacks on it right away. This is crucial. On most ad carries, I would get a phantom dancer next for the speed and crit. However, on ez, I go for the tri force as a second item. The rest of the build is standard ad carry.

So basically all I do is substitute a phantom dancer for tri force, and build like any other ad carry. I personally think that the bloodthirster stacks are really important on every ad carry.

Now, as for the runes, I have been debating which setup works best for a long time. To me, there are three choices. You can get all flat ad, all flat armor pen, or half and half. You could try getting armor pen quints and flat ad reds. I have been using all flat ad recently. The reason for this is that I think that all the extra ad right at the beginning of the game gives a real advantage. If you do well early you will be farmed enough to carry into the late game.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

TehomCD

10-07-2012

Early trinity is more about midgame dueling and burst rather than damage. Get it if they have a lot of bruisers who will try to dive on to you, otherwise go bloodthirster or IE.

Abdelazar

10-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistWrist View Post
Except it isn't a good mid-game.

Comparing Trinity versus Sheen + Bloodthirster and assume it is a level 10 Ezreal.

Roughly 39 more damage on a Trinity Force proc versus a Sheen proc. But Bloodthirster has about 30 more AD at minimum and 70 AD if you are farming it up.

Realistically, the damage on your Q between the two is roughly the same or better with Bloodthirster + Sheen.

Plus, the flat AD is better because Ezreal does have to autoattack a bit. You will just end up doing more damage in trades.

Can you play Ezreal by only kiting with your Q so you never have to autoattack? Sure, but you aren't really fulfilling the role of the AD Carry anymore. Though I'm pretty sure your Q damage would still be better with Sheen + Bloodthirster.

And if you are really good at farming, then Phage + Bloodthirster does comparable Q damage to Trinity Force rush. And of course better damage if autoattacking.

Ultimately, the problem with a Trinity Force rush is that the Zeal component really doesn't give useful stats. Your Q can't crit and your autoattacks still won't do much damage with so little AD.

Maybe you can do a Phage + Sheen + BF sword path or something... But straight Trinity Force rush isn't better sustained damage or poke damage. And not very useful for teamfights as an AD Carry.

Actually, now that I think about Phage + BF Sword is under 3k gold and gives 63 AD, the health, and the slow proc...maybe a Sheen + Phage + BF thing can work. Limits your Doran's though if you also want a Vamp Scepter.
Let me rephrase. Trinity gives you a mid-game relative power spike. Sure, getting bloodthirster first gives you more ad, and more time to get stacks to scale into late. But trinity force gives health, movespeed, attackspeed, and crit chance, which the bloodthirster sheen build doesn't give. Yes, you aren't a traditional ad carry anymore, but whatever. It's all around nice for duels and fights mid-game, when there aren't too many big team-fights where you'll need to be doing sustained damage (which you'll want a bloodthirster for).