Tips for lag/latency?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Arrcyrus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-12-2012

I apologize, I usually get the two terms mixed up (not very literate with computers.) I've noticed in some games I get the most random lag, and I don't think its server issues, I know its my computer. Sometimes I'll be going for a last hit, and it just happens to either get the command a split second late and miss it, or there's a small jump in the video, again causing me to lose it. CS can really fall behind because of this small issue, not to mention the small jumps in video during team fights. I've often died because a command for a skill didn't go through in time and they just barely kill me, when it should have been the other way around. I was wondering if anyone had any tips as far as in-game settings go or computer settings in general.

Diggity34

04-12-2012

I have a slower internet connection from living in a rural part of the county. before i start playing I make sure there are no programs running that might jump online to auto update or start running in the background on my comp. I turn off windows update, firewall, defender, virus scanner, steam, game stop, and one other program i can't remember name of. I also make sure my other comps are off, blue ray player off (it'll check for firmware updates periodically), cell phone has wireless off ect ect and it helps me

Wyrin

04-12-2012

You can either lag because of FPS issues or latency issues.

If it's FPS it's because your computer isn't running fast enough because it's specs aren't high. Like maybe you don't have enough RAM. This can be helped by lowering your video settings in game to a lower setting. Also if you're on a laptop it helps if it's plugged in and charging and it's set to high performance. It also helps if you don't have any programs running in the background slowing your computer. Streaming videos(youtube) slows it down a lot.

If it's Latency that means it's your internet in general that's too slow. Could be because you just have a crappy ISP or your router sucks. Also if you're using the internet on too many devices at the same time it slows it down so if you're sharing a router with other people in the house it will slow your game down. That can really only be fixed by either buying a new router or turning off other devices that use the internet.

You can check your FPS in latency in the top right corner in game. It will show FPS:#, a good FPS is usually 30-60. Any less then 30 is probably too slow. And next to that is a yellow bar. At a good speed there will only be one bar lit up most of the time, maybe less. If you're at 3-4 bars then it's a latency problem. Hope this could help you or any other people with lag issues.

Frnak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-12-2012

Lag has been traditionally referred to as latency issues.

Maybe that's changing, but.

Terrible frames can be irritating, but not anywhere near as bad as latency issues.

Some simple questions:

1) Do these "lag spikes" occur during certain spell animations or near certain objects? If so ---> Video issue, frame drop, GPU may not be able to handle certain type of particles.
One issue that may get a lot of players is water and shadow details in most games. Mess with settings to see what runs smoother.

2) Do units tend to disappear, jump, etc. in intervals but not be "jittery" (that is, when everything unfreezes after that half second, it's like seeing it in "fast forward")?

--> Smooth animation with jumps tends to be a latency issue.

Latency is something tricky to be messing with. If you don't know, LoL installs PANDO MEDIA BOOSTER when you install the game. It tends to use a lot of bandwidth over time...uninstall it. It won't affect your ability to play the game.

Check task manager to see if its running right NOW! (pmb.exe)

If someone hops on netflix and your router isn't a very good one, or you have a small bandwidth (ADSL like me =() then they will affect you at that initial loading.

To alleviate problems myself, I have adjusted my router and gotten a bandwidth throttling program installed on our computers. It helps, but you can only do so much with crappy internet.

So on so far.

Press CTRL+F ingame to see your FRAMES AND LATENCY!

Monitor that. That should help you figure it out. Even if for a second, latency should register as being high for a split second.