How to jungle and with who?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aesaura

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-12-2012

Well, I'm looking at Maokai as a jungler, would you guys like to give me help on him? I'm going to buy him as a soon as I buy a LoL $10 card.

Jurgrady

04-12-2012

Maokai is a great choice. He is really slow though, and doesn't do much damage. This isn't a bad thing though. It just means that you need to be okay with not necessarily being the one getting the kill for the gank, but instead your tanking the hits, and getting assists. He can tower dive really well in later parts of the game.

TheOddOne, has a great jungle Maokai guide on solomid.net. And has a Jungle Daily video on you tube, that you can find. Just search TheOddOne and Maokai together and you'll find it. And on solomid.net, it's really easy to navigate to find guides, and there are many others written by other people as well.

Something I've seen others suggest, that I'll be doing over the next few days, is custom games with all bots to practice your jungle path. I'll be doing this to try out a few things with a few junglers throughout the rest of the week, if you want to add me in game we could do them together. I don't know much about Maokai specifically, but I'm pretty versed in the basics (don't have to be pro to read guides and watch videos to make observations.) My in game name is the same as my profile here.

ProlarBear

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesaura View Post
Well, I'm looking at Maokai as a jungler, would you guys like to give me help on him? I'm going to buy him as a soon as I buy a LoL $10 card.
First of all, I wouldn't recommend buying champions with RP, as they can be bought with IP. I myself would use RP for skins only.
Maokai is a tanky supporty champion. You don't play him for the damage, you play him for his great ganks and amazing ult.

The thing about jungling is that getting level 30 helps a lot because you'll have full masteries. Jungling is also dependent on runes. Some champions really need a good runeset to jungle, though it has gotten a lot easier sice the jungle rework. Even if you have a very sustainable jungler like Warwick, runes will help optimize your survivability and let you clear with higher HP. If you want to jungle a lot in the future, flat armour yellows(seals) are the way to go. You should only buy the level 20+ ones.

Here are some good rune choices.
Reds:
Magic/Armor Penetration(depending on what type of damage the champion mostly does. ex. fiddlesticks would use mpen, tryndamere would use arpen), or in few cases, attack speed(if you're jungling with a champ not meant to be jungled with)
Yellows:
flat armor.
Blues:
Attack Speed(flat) will increase your clear time
MR(scaling or flat) will give you more survivability.
Quints:
Almost anything, really. From flat Movement Speed quints for better ganks to HP Quints for better survivability.

ALWAYS TAKE SMITE WHEN JUNGLING, NO EXCEPTIONS.

RanceStoddard

04-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProlarBear View Post
First of all, I wouldn't recommend buying champions with RP, as they can be bought with IP. I myself would use RP for skins only.
It's personal preference, of course, and depends on whether you have limited funds. But I just think it takes sooo long to use IP to buy champs. I think both of the champion bundles are a good investment. That covers your champion needs for a long time and frees up your IP to buy runes. Once you've got your runes built up, then use the IP for new champs.

Aesaura

Recruiter

04-12-2012

Thanks guys, really appreciate it. And yes, I'm saving up my IP to buy runes as soon as possible. Anyway, why would I want to miss out on the chance to support riot games a little bit. I'll look up TheOddOne when I can.

Cfattie

04-12-2012

It's hard to jungle at low levels for multiple reasons.

1. You don't have T3 runes. Some "viable" junglers are only viable when T3 runes are taken into account. Without those runes, they simply will not do well enough to survive in the jungle.

2. Your top lane will not be able to 1v2. As sad as it sounds, as a newb, your newbie teammates most likely will not be able to 1v2. 'nuff said.

3. Your team will not be able to capitalize on the utility that a jungler provides. This, like #2, also comes from the general fact that newbies will not know exactly when to do what, and most often this leads to unsuccessful ganks and lack of active domination over dragon and baron.

If you still want to jungle, I highly highly suggest Warwick. He has so much sustain that it is difficult to die while jungling undisturbed, and he doesn't need T3 runes to do so (though they do help tremendously). His ult is also a suppress that takes a bit of time to complete, giving your teammates enough time to react and jump into the fray, making it a very valuable skill when ganking.