The Demacian Eyrie (Ask Galio)

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ask The Sentinel

07-15-2014

The sky was bathed in soft pinks and oranges, clouds peacefully resting as the sun met the horizon. A mild wind ruffled the standards above his head even as its cool caress dispersed the warmth in the marble beneath him.

Demacia lay spread out before him.

From this soaring vantage point in the midst of the great city, he could see every sparkling tower as it reached for the sky above. He could see the shorter buildings that housed his innumerable new charges and the streets the connected each part of the sprawling capital to the other. He could see the gleaming walls that wrapped the city in their protective embrace. He could see the forests and farms that stretched out past the reaches of his beloved city and provided it with the sustenance it needed to grow. He could see all of his domain and more as the sun set upon this beautiful day.

Galio turned his head from the sight before him, fixing his gaze on the hooded purple figure behind him. The summoner had waited patiently for an answer, manners dictated that he give him one.

"Yes," he managed, still as stone. "I will participate in this initiative." The voice was his, to be sure, but it seemed as though he listened to it from far away, more a spectator than a participant in the choice he had just made.

"You may begin receiving letters and visitors soon. If you wish to change accommodations, there is a room in the Institute that is available for use. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask an official in the Institute during your next visit." The summoner bowed his hooded head slightly before turning and walking away. Galio took his gaze from the sight and put it once more on the sun, on his city. He didn't need to look to know that the small crackling sounds he could hear was the summoner stepping through a portal and disappearing, that the fizzle was the portal vanishing to nothing after the man had completely gone through.

Summoners rarely seemed to do much traveling by land.

Left once more to his silent thoughts, Galio stayed to watch the rest of the sunset. As the last vestiges of light disappeared over the flat disk of the horizon and the light of the stars became visible, he stepped down from his perch and made his way inside. He viewed his room through new eyes and felt a slight twinge at its spartan appearance. He'd have to get some furniture before the first visitors arrived...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~

In the midst of the city of Demacia lies the recently renamed Demacian Eyrie, home to Galio. A tower constructed early in the city's history, it was built to provide an aerial view of the area just beyond the city walls, a defensive structure that archers or ballista could fire down from. The city expanded past its previous borders, however, and the tower was repurposed for storage as new fortifications rose up to replace it. It housed various military tools until it was handed over to the Sentinel's Sorrow as a gift. Now Galio's residence when he's not in the Institute, the few rooms inside the tower are sparsely decorated with the golem's attempts at making the place seem a bit homier. The spiral staircase leading up the tower is a long climb, wind howls throughout the upper interior if a single window or door is left open, and the tower gets colder the farther one climbs, but Galio only ever noticed these things when he first entertained the ideas of guests. A box with a slot for letters rests at the very base of the tower and the door to Galio's room and the parapets at the very top has a knocker.

((Hello, League of Legends Roleplaying Forums! I've done a bit of lurking around in the background for a while now and am certainly new to actually posting here, but I'm willing to give it a shot. Galio has always had a place near and dear to my heart and I am very excited to get this opportunity. I might need a little bit to get Galio's personality and mannerisms down comfortably, but I'm definitely looking forward to being here and representing the champion that I love.))

Grievous77

07-15-2014

((Hey ole friend, welcome to the forums, hope you have a happy stay. I'm Griev! Or better known as ww, now...))

Dear Galio,

What is your breakfast of champions? What you eat in the morning, and, have you seen anyone else like you?

- Xeno

Ask The Sentinel

07-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grievous77 View Post
((Hey ole friend, welcome to the forums, hope you have a happy stay. I'm Griev! Or better known as ww, now...))

Dear Galio,

What is your breakfast of champions? What you eat in the morning, and, have you seen anyone else like you?

- Xeno

Galio's response would come swiftly, inked out in a large, spiky hand.

• Xeno,

I'm not actually capable of consuming food or drink, so it would be difficult for me to have a 'breakfast of champions'. I am sustained by the magic inherent in the world around us, so I suppose that the closest answer would be, well, magic.

As to others like me... Yes, I have. Long before the League instigated rules and laws about the creation of golems, my creator, Durand, made many like myself. I was his most powerful creation, however, so I maintain a level of uniqueness.

Sincerely,
    ~Galio

BloatedBile

07-15-2014

dear galio,

in ur bio you said, "there is no such thing as redemption. only penance." whats the difference?

-bb

Ask The Sentinel

07-15-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedBile View Post
dear galio,

in ur bio you said, "there is no such thing as redemption. only penance." whats the difference?

-bb
Galio reads over the sloppily-written letter twice before taking up pen and parchment.
  • bb,

The short biography the Institute keeps on me was created through a long series of questions about my past. When asked for a quote of choice on the end result, there was no doubt as to my answer.

Redemption is atoning for past crimes or failures through one's deeds; penance is undergoing a punishment for those crimes or failures. Redemption is satisfying a guilty conscience by doing good, while penance is suffering for the suffering you have caused. Redemption is what men grab for to settle their inner turmoil, while penance is the hardships they must truly endure to right their wrongs.

Redemption is false. The failures of a person -whether they be man, golem, or creature- cannot be atoned for by doing what one should have done in the first place. Only through penance, in paying for what you've done or failed to do, can you truly make up for the first crime. Redemption is a mythical promise to sorrow-stricken souls who cannot bear to undergo their penance.

Sincerely,
    ~Galio

Ask The Sentinel

07-16-2014

Galio was sitting in a chair remarkably larger than the normal variety, a sturdy oak wood gift that had been left at the base of his tower. In his large hands rested a leather-bound book on past and present Demacian noble houses. When he finished a page he turned to the next delicately, careful not to rip or tear the paper with his stone talons. He had been reading the book since earlier that night, bringing his chair out to the parapets to read under the light of the stars. Now that sunrise was gracing the edge of the visible world, he was almost finished. He had received no letters or visitors in the night, but that was to be expected with the sleeping habits of humankind. Besides, a few days to get acquainted with the idea of this program were certainly in order.

With the sun came the beginnings of a morning breeze, soft gusts causing the pages of his book to rustle. Knowing well that this precluded a not-so-gentle wind, Galio closed his book, picked up his chair, and made his way inside the tower.

Ask the String

07-16-2014

((Welcome to the RP Forums. Before we get started, there are a couple things you may want to take note of.
1.) Use the Forum Enhancer Kit to help improve your forum experience by offering avatars, multi-quotes, picture and video embedding, and most importantly let you search through all your posts and threads to help you keep up to date on replies..
2.) If you ever get bored you can come join us on skype. just add me (dk2player), Kameil (onedudething), or any of the other 35+ people to join the main ooc / ic / w/e chat. Completely optional though.
3.) Don't forget to explore around the RP Forums. Branch out and say hi to your fellow champions, and get them interested to want to RP with you more.
4.) Enjoy your time here!

Now, with that said....))

A letter would arrive for Galio, sent from the house of Buvelle.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Galio.jpg (620.6 KB, 16 views)

Ask The Sentinel

07-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ask the String View Post
((Welcome to the RP Forums. Before we get started, there are a couple things you may want to take note of.
1.) Use the Forum Enhancer Kit to help improve your forum experience by offering avatars, multi-quotes, picture and video embedding, and most importantly let you search through all your posts and threads to help you keep up to date on replies..
2.) If you ever get bored you can come join us on skype. just add me (dk2player), Kameil (onedudething), or any of the other 35+ people to join the main ooc / ic / w/e chat. Completely optional though.
3.) Don't forget to explore around the RP Forums. Branch out and say hi to your fellow champions, and get them interested to want to RP with you more.
4.) Enjoy your time here!

Now, with that said....))

A letter would arrive for Galio, sent from the house of Buvelle.
((Thank you for the tips and the warm welcome! I'm definitely hoping to have fun here and I'm sure that each of those notes will come in handy. I'm new to this community and new to the idea of roleplaying a champion in such a manner, but I shall try my best to acclimate.))

((Now, with that said...))

After reading the name on this letter Galio opened it with a bit more energy than his others, almost tearing the message itself accidentally. Thankfully, the paper inside remained intact. When he was done reading, he moved over to his desk and carefully picked up his quill once more.
  • Sona, Maven of the Strings,

I can honestly say that I do not know what my favorite musical genre is, for I have not heard enough music to judge. It was rare in the days before my silent vigil that Durand stopped for a concert, and even rarer that I was not at his side. I've had too little an exposure to music to list anything as a favorite type, especially to one as musically versed as yourself.

As for Durand's creations, I could not say. Perhaps, had he lived longer, he would have made another Galio. I was his ultimate creation, the 'pinnacle of his success' as he said. I was his masterwork, and I do not know if he would have had the time to create another like me. As it was, crafting the lesser stone sentinels that he placed in Demacia's border towns took up most of his time.

Since we cannot know what he would have done, I can only answer that I am the only golem of my type that Durand ever created.

Sincerely,
    Galio, The Sentinel's Sorrow

BloatedBile

07-16-2014

dear galio,

how long is this penance of youres? would you consider lee sins burning to be redemption for his accident, penance or something different?

-bb

Ask The Sentinel

07-16-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloatedBile View Post
dear galio,

how long is this penance of youres? would you consider lee sins burning to be redemption for his accident, penance or something different?

-bb
  • bb,

I have not yet paid my penance, so I do not know how long it might be. I can only imagine what I might do to pay for my failure and such thoughts are not ones I care to share.

I know very little of Lee Sin, but what I do know tells me that he understands the meaning of penance. He made a mistake that cost many lives, and so he burned. I understand that even now one of the reasons he fights in the League is to continue paying for that same crime. I cannot say whether or not he has been redeemed, for it is the heaviness of his heart, not I, that chooses whether or not he has made enough sacrifices.

Sincerely,
    ~Galio

After finishing his letter, Galio put down his quill and lightly blew across the ink to help it dry. He quietly sealed up the message and set it to one side, ready to be sent out with the next batch of his responses. The gargoyle then stood from his chair and made his way outside.

Standing on the edge of a crenelation, looking down upon his city, Galio took a moment to recuperate. A letter had come from the Institute detailing specifics about the 'Ask Program' and what all it meant, but it had only sparked controversy. The letter had stated that he had the right to not answer questions or visitors as he saw fit, which was an understandably required addition. However, it meant that Galio had viewed the latest letter asking after a topic so close to an open wound with more distaste than anything. He had wanted to hide his shame and simply leave his reply unwritten, but that set him thinking about whether or not admitting his failure might be part of his penance.

He had done too much internal debating recently.

He was to be summoned for a match later that day. Until the time came for him to battle he'd spend his day not questioning himself, not when he had just agreed to let others do it for him.

12345 ... 6