"split pushing"

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ToyWatch

04-10-2012

Today i played a game. Teammates keep spliting and they said i don't understand the meaning of split pushing. I tell them they are idiots.
Scenrio 1:
In a 5vs5, we got baron buff, and team scores are even. We were deciding to force a teamfight in mid, and at the last second, ahri decided to push top alone, calling it a split push. Teammates almost died in that fight.

Scenrio 2:
we caught and killed two of them, and we were going to push mid. All of a sudden, taric decided to b and go farm, while bot and top was dealing with 1.5 waves of minions. Making it a 4vs3, we couldn't dive, so we had to recall. Throwing that advantage so badly.

Split pushing isn't bad if we are dominating, but it will be so bad if you force your team 4vs5.

ToyWatch

04-10-2012

unless we killed at least 3 of them, i won't call it safe but stupid to split push.

Azellos

04-10-2012

The problem isnt with the idea of split pushing- it's with a taric/ahri doing it. You want an AD or bruiser to do it, since they actually do damage to towers (why have an AP do it in 5x the time?).

Split-pushing also depends on the lead. If you dont need all 5 of you to put pressure, then an AD can split push and pick up a tower/2. It doesnt matter if you dont force a fight-the tower(s) is still a good gain. However if the game is very close, a 5v5 with baron is exactly what you need.

PlayGooYa

04-10-2012

Strictly speaking, split-pushing isn't something you only do when you're dominating or way ahead. That team's problems are more complicated than that.

In Scenario 1, a proper split-push doesn't make a visible point of killing the other team's minion waves in mid while advancing on their tower. This forces them to group-up, which is the opposite of what a split-push is trying to achieve. You don't commit to a team-fight and then decide not to do it.

In Scenario 2, you don't split-push after winning a team fight. The whole point of a split-push is to achieve a goal. If you already achieved this goal, then split-pushing is pointless. If half their team is already dead, then there's nothing to split anyway.

Neither what Taric or Ahri did were actually a split-push. What they did was farm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azellos View Post
The problem isnt with the idea of split pushing- it's with a taric/ahri doing it.
Ehhh, not quite. A split-push doesn't have to require the person doing it to 1v1 well, they just need to be effective enough pushers that somebody has to come out and clear the minion wave and also force the pusher to run away. Keep in mind, if they commit too many people to the lane and can't kill the pusher this is bad for them. Your team now controls the other lane being pushed and can commit more heavily to the attack.

If the pusher also has good movespeed or teleport, then he can rejoin his team more quickly. This is doubly bad if a lone pusher managed to draw three people out who don't have the same advantage in mobility.

Ahri's orb and her ulti give her a good ability to push then run away if things go badly (esp. with Rylai's). So she can split-push. Yi is also a good backdoor because his ulti makes him difficult to catch and he has good dps for chopping down towers.

The important thing about split-pushing is that you don't have to commit to a fight. So somebody can push a lane to create a diversion while your team does Baron. (Since the pusher is highly visible, reasonably threatening to towers and your entire team isn't quite "all" MIA.)

But the objective doesn't have to be as grand as that. Sometimes split-pushing softens up towers. If your team is forced to withdraw, they still profited in terms of map control and doing tower damage.

Habimaru

04-10-2012

Pushing harder is what wins matches. Any team-fight where you're down in numbers means you should try to position more carefully & harass rather than "jumping into the middle" just to guarantee getting yourself & your team-mates killed.

Sure, the other team might land a tower down in your lane, but if there are two strong pushers on your team taking two of their towers down in exchange for your one tower as your team-fight was used as a distraction (harassing & keeping distance so that they don't "own" your "distractors" in a 3vs5 situation whilst your other two are pushing), then two of their towers down at the cost of only one of your own towers is a worthwhile "strategic" trade-off.

This is best done of course if the "pushers" can do their job quickly (I personally use Kennen a lot and, due to his ability to clear minion-waves very quickly with Max E + W, I have been able to "ninja-push" several lanes before which has ultimately ensured us the win in the end). I do generally stay with the team-fights if my ulti is up but if it's down then sometimes it's simply more strategic for me to guaranteed lane-push rather risk being focused depending on whether our team-configuration is strong enough to handle the enemy composition without my ulti or not.

For cases where it's guaranteed suicide due to not having my ulti up I'd rather go push instead of joining a team-fight with the fore-knowledge that it WILL end up being a "feed" due to lack of ulti being available if I KNOW that I will be focused.

(Post-Tracking: Habimaru)

Aikimiller

04-11-2012

Split pushing is a tactic that is used when you want to avoid a teamfight. Normally because you don't have an advantage, and are pretty sure you'd lose a straight teamfight. The idea is to either force the enemy team to pull members away from their main grouping (normally because they're pushing hard down on you), and thus giving you an advantage in the ensuing fight, or at least make it an even trade on towers.

There is a very, very big difference between split pushing, and random farming. What the OP has described is random farming.