Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Tank Balance

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Totemism

04-10-2012

Quote:
Jamaree:
I would bother arguing with you, but you are simply going to cover your ears, act like a five year old, and cry "Lalalala, I'm right and your wrong, everything else except what I say is wrong." So I'm not going to bother, luckily, Riot isn't going to listen to bad players like you and chances are some of those champions might be getting buffed.

The first sentence tells me you are the one who is acting like a five year old. You call me a child and a bad player. Sounds like the overall meta is a foreign concept to you.

Vuther

04-10-2012

Quote:
Totemism:
The first sentence tells me you are the one who is acting like a five year old. You call me a child and a bad player. Sounds like the overall meta is a foreign concept to you.

... dedicated tanks are the one of the most unlikely champions to be picked on a team since the standard meta nowadays calls for a fighter top-lane, an AP mid, an AD bot with a support, and a jungler where the most popular ones are fighters as well.

Coach Bombay

04-10-2012

If the tanks have no damage, then no one would play them. If no one plays the tanks, they build other champs as initiators and soakers. People already do it with GP and Skarner. Any champ can be a tank, any champ can be a carry.

Darkmoone1

04-10-2012

Quote:
Coach Bombay:
Any champ can be a tank, any champ can be a carry.

*Effectiveness may vary*

Misticaltom

04-10-2012

Lots have been said that I don't even need to add too,but if you've read this far, I'll leave you with this.

The Carries deal the most damage, sure, they carry the match.

But have you ever tried to carry a box with people punching you?
Thats the image I wanted you to have.

cavecricket48

04-10-2012

Tanks don't deal damage. Of course, I'm highly doubtful of Morello's mental capabilities. But still. Name ONE TANK WITH DAMAGE OUTPUT. Significant damage output sure, but still name one.

That's right. You can't.

Tanks have the "Attack me" factor. Why shouldn't they? If they didn't then they would be unplayed and useless. Are you advocating that Riot take away their one, shining reason of usefulness? If so, then GTFO.

Mundo is actually a tank. He does have natural survivability and an "Attack me" factor in the form of his cleavers. But then again... It's pretty weak if someone thinks logically and gets some magic resist. Bah.

Argotor

04-10-2012

Tanks do not do that much damage. Nasus is one of those champs you have to kill because his pool of fire reduces your armor by 45. He can get trinity force and make the rest tank items and does tons of damage. One thing you can do is use a taunt like shen's taunt and make him focus someone else while you go right past nasus and kill the yi or whoever. The champions being released are balanced except Viktor. They are usually fixed right away if OP or UP and do not have to ever worry about them. Arrange a custom game. Have the enemy go all tank. Your team gos whatever and see who wins. Also the carry/tank meta must be alister and kogmaw. Have you ever seen an alister do any type of damage? Nope but he can displace opponents and makes a lot of escapes possible like he is suppose to do. Nobody would attempt to kill alister but yet he saves a lot of players without any damage. Yes, he takes virtually no damage from turrets like he is suppose to do but cant do any damage. Tanks are not OP or else every pro team would have gone with 3 tanks on each team and riot would of nerfed the tanks by then. It is like playing without a support and the enemy is support is healing the whole team and your not able to heal. You would be considering the support OP if you had that role filled in by another tank.

Dane Belthound

04-10-2012

Quote:
Totemism:
Amumu, Rammus, Galio, Mundo (might as well call him a tank), and Shen. Malphite can also do quite a bit of burst damage, but I am ok with where he is at. Why do you assume I build glass cannon? I do when I know I can get away with it, but even when I have to stack defense it doesn't matter because tanks can beat on your without taking any damage. The point of this is that if both parties build tanky, the tank will always win. Amumu pure tank vs a well built carry with some good MR items? Amumu will always win with half of his health to spare.

Those tanks are not OP. I have beaten several teams with these tanks.

And to address the original statement that the only way to interpret that quote is to give them more dmg than the DPS is insanely stupid. The difference between a DPS and a tank is the tank has sustainability. So no you don't need to give a tank DPS dmg to make people want to focus them. Just enough dmg, cc and sustainability that makes them deal a decent chunk of dmg over time so that they are at least someone you have to think about.

bahamutkaiser

04-10-2012

Melees as a whole need really good damage to compensate for the fact that they have to engage and take damage just to reach their opponent, the fact that tanks need "enough" damage to not just be ignored is reasonable, wile in actuality, melees as a whole need a lot of power to justify their positioning liability, it should be no mystery that a tank or tanky DPS chop carries in half if they can reach them or single them out for duels, because those ranged units practice more strategic advantage in a team fight by standing at length and dumping DPS wile tanks and tankies interfere with eachothers approach. Sounds like good dynamics to me.

Seldkam

04-10-2012

Naut... is one of the best tanks IMO, as well as being balanced. He has amazing CC, I don't think many other tanks has as much CC as he does, however.

I disagree with you about tanks having too much damage, @OP. Sure, I was naut late game and bursted a Twitch that spent a lot of his time running around in the jungle or farming, but he was PURE glass, with barely anywhere near the amount of damage one would expect from a good Twitch.