Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Support: playing well of getting carried by team?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KeanuCleaves

04-09-2012

Hey so I'm new to LoL, and I've started playing soraka recently. I like her and my team seems to be winning (small sample set), won a couple pvp normal games and a few bot games. So I usually end up with something like 1-2 kills / 2-3 deaths / 12-25 assists. I can't tell if I'm playing support right or if I'm just useless and my team is carrying me along. I try to buy wards, and stick to my AD carry. I just kind of follow them around or follow groups into team fights. I throw in the occasional silence and random heals whenever CD is up in team fights.

Annoying? Or is that what I'm supposed to do. No complaints by people I'm just not sure what I'm supposed to do. Tips? I've been playing champions like Ashe, Graves, Annie so I'm used to actually killing people...

Thanks for the advice

KeanuCleaves

04-09-2012

Oh also I've been using a soraka build I found on mobafire: http://www.mobafire.com/league-of-legends/build/your-friendly-neighbourhood-support-87171

Let me know what you guys think about the purchase order as well. I also typically take flash and heal instead of flash and clairvoyance...

KitsuneTenko

04-09-2012

Hm... It seems alright for a support. I wouldn't know - AP Soraka is often underestimated so I've gotten lucky with her.

WhackedMaki

04-10-2012

The build starts out right, but turns out all wrong. Here's a build guide that's a lot better ; http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=11191.

As for your score, it looks fine. The general rule of thumb for support is Kills+Asists/3 over deaths. Even still, there are times when you'll get scores like 0/5/5 but have saved your teamates 5+ times with heals/silences/whatever. Also, try to remember your Q's in teamfights. The damage isn't high, but it can add up and makes your AP's do more and more damage as well.

Torahammashirvi

04-10-2012

Your scores look fine, and it's good that you've learned the importance of warding so that you know where the enemy is. Map awareness is the key to winning many games.

As long as you're keeping your team alive and warding your doing it right. But don't forget Sorakas silence, which you can use to shut down the enemy AP for a few seconds. And you can stop many channeling abilities too like Master Yi healing, galio ult, Katarina ult, Shen ult etc.

So in a nutshell, keep the map warded at key points and keep your team alive. Occasional oracles is good too to destroy enemy wards, but don't go wasting all your money on oracles if you're dying a lot

Mikemok1981

04-10-2012

My last 4 scores for Soraka were 1/4/22 0/2/13 0/2/19 and 0/5/24. You're fine. Its what you're supposed to do. Tons of assists. In team fights make sure you save your silence for someone with a channeled ability or a huge aoe damage dealer. Also, wish during the laning phase will net you some nice assists and some happy teammates that survive due to that heal, so pay attention to those portraits on the side of the screen.

But you are getting wards and thats one of the most important things you can do as support. Make sure you have vision of the map.

Pitufito Dell

04-10-2012

I play soraka as main, you are doing Ok, 25 assist, is always good.
Just to let you know, you can build AP soraka, it can add really good damage to the enemy, and empower a lot your magic damage dealrs, and empowering to ridiculous numbers your ulti (600 AP = 800 all team heal, for example).
Also, Infuse is pretty good to silence, the Mana Returning effect, is pretty good too, but from time to time, you have to decide what is better.
Starcall is kindda good in a lot of situations, get it early, for example, your carry went to gank mid, whit starcall you can farm waves of minions pretty fast, and early in the game, it let you build GP5 items earlyer (I sometimes get Lucky Pick + Hearth of Gold + Philosopher at minute 10, so at 35 I start to get a very strong refund). Also, you can dettect people in brushes, in stealth, over walls (even kill them) whit starcall, that you can't see them dosen't matter that you can't hit them. If you can cast it, cast it (exept in the mid of enemy minions when your carry is farming :X)
Also remember that your W grant a HUGE boost to armor, using it on a Siege Minion (the one whit cannons) tanking a tower can do the work easier than before, and of course when taking melee damage, or getting hit by a tower; sometimes, anticipating damage by mittigating it whit W armor, is better than taking it.
Good luck whit Soraka, I love her, and can be played a lot of ways, but remember, your team will always complain.

KeanuCleaves

04-10-2012

Cool thanks for the tips, it's hard to tell how I'm doing but your comments help. I try to save my infuse in team fights for silences, almost never for on my team during combat for mana regen (sometimes I do I guess it's situational). Usually I'm hoping to interrupt a channeled cast. I also don't really have enough games under my belt to assess when I should build an AP build for more dmg or when I should keep building support items. Like I said, I've just been building along the guide I linked. I'll check out the link Maki posted later today. Thanks again!

IS13a2e0732031ca

04-10-2012

I dunno if its the right way to think, but in mind i count 2 assists as it would be 1 kill (pretty much the same money anyway).
So think yourself how much you did for your team.
p.s. dont forget wards as support player

KeanuCleaves

04-10-2012

Another questions on wards is how many and when to buy them. So usually I start with 3 sight wards and ward the bushes entering bot lane from the river, I do this early to watch for low level jungler ganks. I keep that ward up while we lane.

At this point it starts to get situational and I do eventually start warding dragon / baron, sometimes red / blue as well as choke points (especially when towers go down). I don't keep these up all the time, and sometimes I'm not sure how many to cover the map with. Any good rules of thumb to start with for ward placement that I can learn from - or maybe guides I can read/watch? Wards are definitely good, but I also don't want to overbuy them. Basically I make it a point to always buy at least one ward whenever I go back (which is less than once every 3 min so I have to re-ward some key points like the bushes into my lane).

Also I'm bad at knowing when to buy vision wards and oracles - I usually just forget to do it. One game I actually bought an oracle but the other team never placed any wards. What can I say it's low level play... That kind of re-enforced a bad habit that oracles are useless.

Anyway thanks again for your help