Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Support with Smite - Why not?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Avatoxico

04-09-2012

Today when i get home, i will play support with Smite, and try to improve my team's baron / dragon / buffs control / steal. Do you think it's a bad ideal? Convince me.

Gato Muerto

04-09-2012

Smite use encourages creep killing (creep score stealing) which is frowned upon by the current 0CS support meta. Use on cannon minions would result in pushed lanes, leaving your lane vulnerable to ganks if you do not have the entire approach warded.

Avatoxico

04-09-2012

Quote:
Gato Muerto:
Smite use encourages creep killing (creep score stealing) which is frowned upon by the current 0CS support meta. Use on cannon minions would result in pushed lanes, leaving your lane vulnerable to ganks if you do not have the entire approach warded.

No. I said dragon, baron and buffs. I'll not smite my carry minions.

LordPopple

04-09-2012

Clairvoyance will give you better jungle control on a Support than Smite ever could.

Gato Muerto

04-09-2012

Quote:
Avatoxico:
No. I said dragon, baron and buffs. I'll not smite my carry minions.

In that case, nice idea, but you are going to be severely weaker in your lane with (effectively) one fewer summoner spell.

Better idea would be to take CV instead. Use during lane, and you can use it during Baron/Dragon/Buff at a similar time when you would use smite in order to verify safety/ enemy location.

DerGregorian

04-09-2012

Then 99% of the time it's of no use.

Cenerae

04-09-2012

I've seen it done once and only once - a Soraka running Smite/CV in the old jungle a year ago or so. She assisted her jungler in counterjungling the hell out of the enemy jungler and it seemed to work pretty nicely.

But it would need good co-ordination to pull off properly.

FrankMcCrank

04-09-2012

Long time ago in a time called 2009, there were actually ACCEPTED GUIDES where champions would take smite because they have bad laning. Like Kassadin. A lot of guides had him take smite in lane.
I miss 2009 LoL.

alaskaneagle

04-09-2012

I often get smite with heimerdinger.

I give my jungler a turret to leash blue and hit it with smite and go mid. I also use it to farm banshees, by setting a turret up in lane, tossing a gernade and smiting the big banshee. the rest run into my turret while I tend my lane. <-- banshees reset so fast now that my jungler hardly notices and never cares.

smite is not really a bad choice for mid or solo top if you plan on being more patient instead of aggressive. It helps you farm the little jungle camps or help jungler speed up his runs, or helps you farm the big mini or help steal buffs.

I get it everyonce in awhile when I'm not the jungle. One of the funnest matches I've played, 4 of us had smite. Their jungler was about 8 lvl's behind by the end and totally worthess. lol Fun game :-)

Kendaichi

04-09-2012

So.... You choose a skill that you won use except for 3-7 times in the game? Instead of Clairvoyance for your team and junglers.... you chose smite? A skill your jungler probably possess? You would rather eliminate the possibility of a better utility skill or escape just for that probable smite?

--> Also, if you are stealing dragon or baron, there are two possibilties
1. Your entire team is dead except for you, the support.
2. Your whole team is engaging the opponent while they are killing dragon or baron.

1. As a support, you don't have much damage or tankiness. Result: Flash in, CCed, Aced.
2. As a support, unless you are Alistar or Taric, you would NEVER get close to the enemy. Position is important. Also, IF you are Alistar or Taric, you would want to pile on the CC and heal your team.